PDA

View Full Version : Power supply wanted

apsattv
02-09-2018, 06:08 AM
Does anyone have a cheap 450 watt or higher power supply they need to get rid of?

I'm repairing my mums old core Duo , its having trouble with turning on. Once on it works no issues stress tested for hours etc.
One of the ps voltages is going all over the places though.

The current one is a Coolermaster ATX 12V RS 450 ACLY

I did scrounge an HP 4600 desktop to try and salvage the 475 watt p/s from it , it works fine with that however due to it being a nonstandard size it wont fit in the case...

piroska
02-09-2018, 08:55 AM
Does anyone have a cheap 450 watt or higher power supply they need to get rid of?

bad idea.
Buy a quality one. Antec or similar, not that expensive for a lower wattage one

dugimodo
02-09-2018, 04:33 PM
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PSUCLM0420/Cooler-Master-Thermal-Master-420W-OEM-PSU-POWER-SU

Maybe not the best quality but an ok brand, new, with a warranty.
You probably don't need 450W either, unless there's a gaming graphics card in the system.

I have played around with old second hand hardware and power supplies and as piroska says not a great Idea. Twice now I've had an old system destroyed by using an old second hand psu.

As for an old core 2 duo, if you have to spend much more than $50 bucks on it personally I don't think it's worth fixing. Ex lease business class i3 and i5 PCs are all over the place and are often very cheap if you shop around.

apsattv
03-09-2018, 04:17 AM
bad idea.
Buy a quality one. Antec or similar, not that expensive for a lower wattage one

Cheap as in used , not as in low quality.

apsattv
03-09-2018, 04:24 AM
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PSUCLM0420/Cooler-Master-Thermal-Master-420W-OEM-PSU-POWER-SU

Maybe not the best quality but an ok brand, new, with a warranty.
You probably don't need 450W either, unless there's a gaming graphics card in the system.

I have played around with old second hand hardware and power supplies and as piroska says not a great Idea. Twice now I've had an old system destroyed by using an old second hand psu.

As for an old core 2 duo, if you have to spend much more than $50 bucks on it personally I don't think it's worth fixing. Ex lease business class i3 and i5 PCs are all over the place and are often very cheap if you shop around.

The PC does have a radeon card in it however its an old one that doesnt have its own connection to the p/s

As for buying another unit , thats what im trying to get away from, re pricing if I can pick up a p/s for around $20. I can use the other parts from the h.p ill take the 3GHZ dual core from the hp and put it into the other and overclock a little along with the 4GB ram if its compatible.

I thought I will check here as there are techs here that probably have boxes of p/s in their parts cupboards.

piroska
03-09-2018, 07:59 AM
Cheap as in used , not as in low quality.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/cases-power-supplies/power-supplies/listing-1748530889.htm?rsqid=7612e045c0ab49318dc75a7c27fc3 b8d

apsattv
03-09-2018, 08:44 AM
https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/cases-power-supplies/power-supplies/listing-1748530889.htm?rsqid=7612e045c0ab49318dc75a7c27fc3 b8d

Yeah that is an option. I did swap the HP power supply with the coolermaster one , The coolermaster one is working in the HP without an issue and the HP 475 working in the other pc ..thats what discourages me from paying any $$ for a brand new one. I mean what if the actual issue is with the m.b of the other pc. Don't want to blow $50 on another p/s and discover the issue is in fact the other pc motherboard.

03-09-2018, 10:29 AM
"old core Duo "
May not even be worth $50, and possibly does have a mb fault. Issues with turning on can often be the mb starting to fail .

You could buy a cheap used PSU off trademe . Keep in mind that old used PSU's may also have issue's , even if they power up OK.
Another option is to look at a Win7 ex lease PC , i3 or i5.

apsattv
01-10-2018, 07:16 AM
I picked up a New corsair vs 550 P/S for $30 locally via facebook marketplace. PC is back, up and running all good now.Next step is take a the 2.1 GHZ dual core out and replace it with the 3 GHZ one from the h.p machine i scrounged, then a little overclock to hopefully around 3.6ghz