PDA

View Full Version : Sending data to an overhead projector

rny
01-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Hi folks, recently I took part in a sports event where the results were being collated on an Excel spreadsheet in the events office, then they were sent to an overhead projector for viewing on the screen. The newest results were not being displayed untill they had been updated. My question is, what Excel function do I use to achieve this? At my club, we are already using Excel to record our results, then they are hand written onto a whiteboard for competitors to view. This seems an un-necessary step when we may be able to send updated info to the projection screen. I am guessing we would need a data cable and power source for the projector, but this would be no problem as our office is only a few metres from the proposed screen location.

Rny.

wainuitech
01-09-2018, 04:11 PM
If you only had a Spread sheet on the computer being projected to a screen then it would be live, as the results were entered they will appear. ( including balls ups ;) )

Just got a feeling that there's some sort of information missing here ???

The newest results were not being displayed untill they had been updated That can indicate they had a separate working screen and display output (Possibly Dual Monitors with two Spread sheets only one being projected) OR some sort of result Program that once the data has been entered then updated it shows the New.

As for connecting to a Projector -- Depends on the available fittings / options that the computer /Projector have.

rny
01-09-2018, 05:03 PM
Thanks wai, as it is me who does the results at our club, yes, its the balls ups that concern me. I believe the event I attended were using just a basic Excel set up, will an extra tab, different name, on the worksheet, do what I am looking for, and send that tab to the projector when ready? I am thinking I have seen a function whereby data can be sent to a duplicate sheet as it is entered? We could also go the dual monitor way as we have a number of unused ones.

Rny.

wainuitech
01-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Okay, I'm the first to admit, that I'm a real novice at Excel. SOMEONE will (or should) be able to come up with a easier Solution, or you can modify to suit.

Sorry ;) (NOT) been wine o'clock since about 4.30. been an "interesting activity" BUT have a look at this video, may be of some help ( or not - as well as how it works) :D

I followed this changing names as required: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcLNWvhaUH8

What I'm guessing will need to do is have spreadsheet working out however you do your scoring /placing or results, then on the final result there's another option to possibly auto arrange results from 1st to XXX Of course the 2nd spread sheet is the one being projected (thats a different event /task)

Here's how that VB works https://streamable.com/uq5rw

Then again could be completely on the wrong track to what you are asking :D

Of course someone whose a hell of a lot better at excel than myself may be able to give a much easier solution. ( Had a bit fun doing this while a few drinks on a Saturday) :D

rny
02-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Cheers, had a look at that link, way above my level of expertise. I have contacted the organisers of the event I attended to see if they could copy me what they were using and how it was run. "Dunno why I didn't think of that before." Must have been the wine.

Rny.

Tony
12-09-2018, 06:18 PM
You could try asking the people where you saw it all working...

zqwerty
24-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Reported