PDA

View Full Version : freeware pdf editor ?

28-08-2018, 12:09 PM
Hi, PF1 wont let me search old topics for "pdf" so ...

whats a recommended free/cheap pdf editor, and/or a pdf to doc convertor (I only have Word2010 , so cant use the function in newer word versions)

Do the free pdf-doc converters all screw up the formatting , I tried Google Drive & Office Online & both screwed up the formatting (some pages) in the conversion .
Cheers

wainuitech
28-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Hi, PF1 wont let me search old topics for "pdf" so ...

whats a recommended free/cheap pdf editor, and/or a pdf to doc convertor (I only have Word2010 , so cant use the function in newer word versions)

Do the free pdf-doc converters all screw up the formatting , I tried Google Drive & Office Online & both screwed up the formatting (some pages) in the conversion .
Cheers You're in luck -- Shareware on sale have a giveaway at the moment, just tried it on a 31 page PDF lots of pictures etc, Word 2016 made a dogs breakfast of it but the free converter did a good job.

Go to https://giveawayradar.weebly.com/ Scroll down to PDF to x which takes you to the download page https://sharewareonsale.com/s/pdf-to-x-giveaway-coupon-sale

When you fill in your details, make sure you use a legit email as they will send you the activation key.

The Only thing you have to watch out for is when the shareware exe runs look carefully, ( I THINK) its the second question it asks to install their own updater - you dont need to. once you download /install the Program open it and with the key thats in the email register to unlock the full version.

gary67
28-08-2018, 08:20 PM
Thanks Wainui installed and used already

wainuitech
28-08-2018, 09:45 PM
Tried a larger PDF, 1004 Pages ( not a typo) took a while to convert it, but when finished, when scrolling through the pages only saw 1 that wasn't as per the original and that was in the chapter list, it had multi layers of bullet points.

29-08-2018, 09:57 AM
I tried it on a complex 7 page pdf , lots of pictures, bullet points etc . OCR needed to extract text. Something setup to really test it .
It did a much better job than google docs
About the same as Word2016's conversion , except pdf to x had some sentences without gaps between the words
All 3 dropped the pictures completely
bullet points do seem to cause issues in the conversion with all 3 converters (word, google, pdftox)

Its free, its not perfect. Its usable .
100% Ok if the pdf is actual txt , rather than a scanned image containing txt
Want better then pay for Acrobat Pro i guess

wainuitech
29-08-2018, 10:30 AM
Its free, its not perfect. Its usable .
100% Ok if the pdf is actual txt , rather than a scanned image containing txt

That's some very important missed information there.

Totally different to a document that was originally written in word (or some other text program) then saved to pdf. Basically a Scanned image with text is nothing more than a picture saved as pdf.

gary67
29-08-2018, 08:13 PM
It cannot convert house plans to word at all and trying to do a jpg or any other type of picture output it crashes with my house plans.

wainuitech
29-08-2018, 10:22 PM
It cannot convert house plans to word at all and trying to do a jpg or any other type of picture output it crashes with my house plans. What were the original house plans drawn with ?? It may be impossible to convert to something that cant be converted, bit like trying to convert a Power point to excel -- Ain't gonna happen.

Just made half dozen pictures into a PDF, then converted back to pictures no problems at all. As for the crashing maybe the PC isn't powerful enough. That 1004 page PDF would crash as well until I set it going the walked away. Trying to do anything while it was doing it was to much for the PC, and its an i5 with 16GB Memory.

Not a big deal anyway, its free, many of the paid ones wont do certain tasks either ;) I've seen some people spend lots of $$$$ on Adobe programs and they are useless.

gary67
29-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Yes it was just a test but was surprised it wouldn't do jpg though, the plans are just drawings and notes, no idea what our architect uses though

wainuitech
30-08-2018, 08:38 AM
Yes it was just a test but was surprised it wouldn't do jpg though, the plans are just drawings and notes, no idea what our architect uses though Dunno why it wont do it for you, the option to convert to JPG is there, just tried it and it worked fine.

In fact I just tried something, an original document was done in word by one of my Suppliers ( An RMA form) it was downloaded from their site, comes as a PDF, I then converted it to .jpg, went perfectly.

Sometimes depending on what the originals are I can see it causing a problem, or sometimes important information is left out of comments. Hows about sending me a copy of what is failing (upload and send a link via PM if you want), I'll see if it converts here ?

30-08-2018, 10:11 AM
That's some very important missed information there.

Totally different to a document that was originally written in word (or some other text program) then saved to pdf. Basically a Scanned image with text is nothing more than a picture saved as pdf.

Sorry, I though I had put in the need for OCR. Obviously brain thinking one thing, fingers typing something else :)
its do-able , many converters have a build in OCR .
Only needed if you need to make a bunch of scanned in pdf's txt searchable .

No longer needed, turns out they had some Acrobat licenses for this .
Good to know for future reference anyway.

gary67
30-08-2018, 11:14 AM
Will send later to test

Richard
30-08-2018, 06:23 PM
I hate pdf documents, I hate Adobe programs and their installation, I hate Photoshop, and can't understand why people use these convoluted, complicated things when other simpler and better alternatives exist.

gary67
30-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Such as? No adobe programs on my computer, as they are not needed since better free alternatives exist

gary67
30-08-2018, 07:43 PM
Dunno why it wont do it for you, the option to convert to JPG is there, just tried it and it worked fine.

In fact I just tried something, an original document was done in word by one of my Suppliers ( An RMA form) it was downloaded from their site, comes as a PDF, I then converted it to .jpg, went perfectly.

Sometimes depending on what the originals are I can see it causing a problem, or sometimes important information is left out of comments. Hows about sending me a copy of what is failing (upload and send a link via PM if you want), I'll see if it converts here ?

It works with other files so I guess house plans are just too complicated