PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with multi booting

mzee
20-08-2018, 01:05 AM
My new toy is a Dell Inspiron i7 17 5000 v5770 which has 2 drives, one is a SSD 128GB with Widows 10 Pro, dual booted with Mint v18.
The second drive is conventional Seagate 1T, currently used for Data. I can not install any Windows OS on it as there are no drivers for W7, which is the only one I would bother with.
I would like to install some Linux & Android OS's, but have a problem booting on that drive.

I there isn't enough space on the SSD for multiple virtual machines. I could use Hyper-V, but the problem would be the same. I have this big drive with hardly anything on it!
If I installed another identical copy of W10 on the Seagate, would it activate?If so, I could use W10 (SSD) for work, and W10 (Seagate HD) for play.

The SSD has a GPT format, and the Seagate DOS/ MBR.

Any thoughts on the matter?

psycik
20-08-2018, 09:50 AM
Why don't you put your hyper-v instances on the 1TB hard drive? Much easier to play with than dual booting (IMO)

Kame
20-08-2018, 11:06 AM
Your ESP partition would be where your boot files exist and should be large enough to add additional OS considering grub from Mint will be the only boot loader you need.

You just install your additional operating systems to the drive without creating the boot loader (very important!), you restart in Mint then run: sudo update-grub

This will pick up the new OS and add an entry to grub which you then can boot to the other OS now.

mzee
20-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Your ESP partition would be where your boot files exist and should be large enough to add additional OS considering grub from Mint will be the only boot loader you need.

You just install your additional operating systems to the drive without creating the boot loader (very important!), you restart in Mint then run: sudo update-grub

This will pick up the new OS and add an entry to grub which you then can boot to the other OS now.

Thanks Kame, I've done that, it goes through the search etc, says completed, but there are no new entries. The drive with the
'Puppy' files are is a dos/mbr table. Does this have to be GPT like the Windows/Mint drive? The partitions are ext4. No loader installed. The 'Puppys' are frugal installed, maybe they should be fully installed?

KarameaDave
20-08-2018, 06:02 PM
frugal installations will require manual entries in your boot-loader
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579574/how-to-install-puppy-linux-frugal-and-configure-grub2-bootloader/
will hopefully help

mzee
20-08-2018, 11:39 PM
Ok!
I converted the Seagate 1GB drive to GPT, and fully installed Linux Puppy 6, Updated the Grub loader as per Kame's instructions, works a treat except that it is listed as 'unknown Linux'. I imagine that I should somehow edit the grub.conf file which is read only?

Kame
21-08-2018, 12:30 AM
You'll need to edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg (as a superuser) although really you should not be editing this file directly and should be creating the entries in /etc/grub.d/40_custom or create additional files after 40, that way when you run update-grub, your 40_custom or higher entries will be kept so you won't revert Puppy Linux back to Unkown Linux.

There's plenty of guides on how to do this.

For me, I'd try to figure out why it's not knowing what Linux distribution it is and fix that issue instead.

mzee
21-08-2018, 05:13 PM
I have installed "Grub-Customizer" Very easy to use GUI, Renames entry's, adjusts font, size & colour and saves it.
( if you make the font larger than 12 it can cause problems, a warning comes up if your font is too big)
You don't have to be logged in as root, just your user password.

Install with terminal, see script:-

# repo for grub-customizer
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer -y

# getting new info of this new repo
sudo apt-get -y update

# installing
sudo apt-get install -y grub-customizer