PDA

View Full Version : Laptop keyboard stopped working

andrew93
12-08-2018, 09:27 PM
I need some help with my laptop keyboard. I have been looking online and can't resolve this.

It often stops working after the laptop is put into sleep mode. I can get it going again with a full restart (press and hold on/off button) and pressing something like the Esc key as the laptop is starting. This doesn't work off a normal restart.

System:
- HP Pavilion Laptop
- Windows 10
- Updates up to date

What I have tried:
- updating the keyboard drivers (no change needed, Windows says no updates available)
- removing and reinstalling the keyboard drivers (do I need to restart between these 2 steps?)
- turning off the "wake up from sleep" setting & restarting the laptop

This started about 2-3 days ago so I have uninstalled the Windows Update from 9 August. No difference.

Help....?

Thanks!

wainuitech
12-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Try this:
Press Windows key + R and type "devmgmt.msc" and press OK.

In Device Manager expand keyboard and right click on the driver for keyboard then select Properties.

Go to Power Management tab and remove the check on "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" then click OK.

Reboot the PC and test it again.

Edited:
If you have the option tick this as well ( if not already selected).

andrew93
12-08-2018, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestion wainuitech. I have already done that - sorry I didn't explain that very well above - and it made no difference. It is still turned off.

One thing I have noticed is there are 3 drivers loaded. When I uninstalled all 3 they all came back with the next restart.

I forgot to mention the only thing that changed as a Windows update (which I uninstalled). No new software. No new devices. No mucking around with system settings etc. I have since removed/uninstalled Spybot given that was throwing an error on shutdown, which has now disappeared, but it didn;t fix the keyboard issue.

Just tried a force close/cold boot and can't get the keyboard to work.

andrew93
12-08-2018, 11:11 PM
A couple more images for you.

zqwerty
13-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Does an external usb keyboard work?

andrew93
13-08-2018, 07:49 PM
Yes - that is how I am typing this. Also the on-screen keyboard works when you bring up the keyboard on the screen and use the mouse to select the letters.

Thanks

Does an external usb keyboard work?

wainuitech
13-08-2018, 08:34 PM
Long shot, but try the trouble shooter - press Windows key + S type in Troubleshoot, open it, scroll down to keyboard, run the troubleshooter.

If its not working at all now ( since you are using the external) try booting off a Linux CD and see if it works from that, if not then the keyboard could have failed or some problem with the Motherboard. You need to determine if its a hardware or software problem.

Only bypassing the normal OS can you tell.

zqwerty
13-08-2018, 08:48 PM
Yes agreed, try a Linux live disc, using an external keyboard does not stop the built-in keyboard working on my laptops although they are not Win 10.

andrew93
13-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Thanks wainuitech - I tried the troubleshooter (sorry, forgot to mention that) and that came back saying there were no issues.

I don't have a Linux boot CD and I can't access the boot menus (given the keyboard won't respond). I'm guessing it is going to have to be a repair job......grrrrr you would think laptop keyboards would last 18 months, especially if they aren't used for 8 hours a day every day....

Thanks

tommy
15-08-2018, 06:12 PM
I have this issue with my HP laptop occassionally too. If it goes to sleep I can't do anything with it until after doing a full restart (press and hold on/off button). Quite often after the full restart it also needs to be restarted again from the log on screen using the mouse as I can't enter the password. Once restarted it then works. This only began to occur after upgrading to Windows 10, it never used to happen when the original OS of Win 7 was installed.

B.M.
16-08-2018, 05:39 PM
I have this issue with my HP laptop occassionally too. If it goes to sleep I can't do anything with it until after doing a full restart (press and hold on/off button). Quite often after the full restart it also needs to be restarted again from the log on screen using the mouse as I can't enter the password. Once restarted it then works. This only began to occur after upgrading to Windows 10, it never used to happen when the original OS of Win 7 was installed.

+1 got me licked. :(