PDA

View Full Version : sharing internet connection no go

15-01-2002, 09:59 AM
I cannot get the sharing working. I have Win2k on laptop and 98se on desktop. The dialup connection is on the laptop and everything works ok [browsing,email...] Internet sharing is configured on the laptop [DHCP enabled...] The desktop has 'get ip address automatically' checked and I have entered gateway address but no port# [don't know how to get]. I can ping the laptop from the desktop but not the other way around. It appears as if DHCP isn't working. The laptop can browse the desktops folders etc. TIA Chris

15-01-2002, 10:23 AM
Are you trying Windows ICS?

I never got that to work but some people did. I settled for WinProxy get it at www.winproxy.com.

There are free proxies around though.

If DHCP isn't working you can give the computer a static address. ICS uses the addresses 192.168.0.1-254 and the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

I think the gateway is the IP address of the computer with the internet connection. Don't quite get why you have to have a port for gateway though.

15-01-2002, 03:23 PM
Chris

Go to the Microsoft knowledge base and search for article Q258717. It may help solve your problems. There are some fundamental difficulties in getting two way communication between Win98 and Win2000 and the solutions are not exactly intuitive!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

15-01-2002, 10:38 PM
try wingate, it is a real easy set up and can be downloaded from tucows, works a treat, i had it here for ages when i had multiple flatmates
you will have to alacate private ips for your computers 192.168.0.xx is a good range, these numbers will not be recognised by the net, as they are reserved for private or LAN purposes. Its a while since i ran this, but i am more than willing to offer advice from what i can remember.