PDA

View Full Version : Interesting install

mzee
10-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Recently I picked up an old laptop from an Op shop.
It was still in working order, and had Windows 7 Ultimate in it. Upon further inspection I found that the activation wasn't genuine, it was activated courtesy of 'Mr Daz'. I had no product number for it.

Just out of curiosity, I plugged in a USB stick with Windows 10 Pro v1803 on it, and ran setup. I fully expected to be accused of piracy etc, but nothing! It started to upgrade, and after a while I left it alone. After a couple of hours I found it had got to the screen of privacy settings. Eventually Windows 10 was installed. I put it online and much to my surprise it activated! I could hardly believe it. It was very slow and clunky and the old laptop was struggling, but the Windows 10 worked perfectly. At no stage was I asked for a product number.

piroska
10-08-2018, 02:03 PM
They don't care - once you're on Win10, thats it...all good as far as MS are concerned.

10-08-2018, 02:25 PM
It may de-activate at any time, when MS decide the key was pirated . Or might not. You'll never know untill it happens (or doesnt).
You can run Win10 without activating anyway.

Windows 7 Ultimate = usually means its pirated .

wainuitech
10-08-2018, 04:09 PM
It may de-activate at any time, when MS decide the key was pirated . Or might not. You'll never know untill it happens (or doesnt).
You can run Win10 without activating anyway.

Windows 7 Ultimate = usually means its pirated .Not always, ( I know you said Usually) I have several W7 Ultimates, all legally paid for. :)

What does often get a Hmmmmmm :illogical is Office 2003 -2007 Enterprise --Not to many HOME users have it legally. Usually when asked for the Product key or Media -- oh a mate put it on, they said it was perfectly fine. Yeah right.

What you may have found is maybe the original Product key was actually embedded in the mother board OR at some earlier stage Windows 10 may have been put on it legally then W7 replaced it, which if the case the motherboard will have been registered with MS already.

These days you wont find a Key anywhere on any laptops, as they are all embedded.

mzee
11-08-2018, 12:47 AM
Not always, ( I know you said Usually) I have several W7 Ultimates, all legally paid for. :)

What does often get a Hmmmmmm :illogical is Office 2003 -2007 Enterprise --Not to many HOME users have it legally. Usually when asked for the Product key or Media -- oh a mate put it on, they said it was perfectly fine. Yeah right.

What you may have found is maybe the original Product key was actually embedded in the mother board OR at some earlier stage Windows 10 may have been put on it legally then W7 replaced it, which if the case the motherboard will have been registered with MS already.

These days you wont find a Key anywhere on any laptops, as they are all embedded.

It was a very old Windows 7 Ultimate, replaced by Windows Pro 10, which again surprised me as it must be unusual to have 32 bit Windows these days. I think, when I have nothing better to do, I will install "Tiny Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit" (1.8GB on drive) and do it again just to see what happens.