PDA

View Full Version : New toy - BIOS update - yeah nah

allblack
10-08-2018, 09:01 AM
Okies, scored a new 27" HP AIO yesterday, plus desk and office chair.

All set up and good, except the chair - can't work out how to get the springy bit to work for the back support. Probably should have left it.

Anyways - doing updates through the HP assistance thing, and there's a update to do with updating my BIOS. Naturally I ran scared, so Googled and read a lot of stuff that said DON'T TOUCH! and then some stuff that said it's all ka pai.

I also work on the premise that HP are smart enough not to send me (an IT idiot) an update that will cause problems with my machine.

Anyway, I didn't update it. Do we have any views on this? I know a BIOS is not something that muppets should be mucking with, but then HP says it's good?

WaddaIdo?

wainuitech
10-08-2018, 09:42 AM
I also work on the premise that HP are smart enough not to send me (an IT idiot) an update that will cause problems with my machine.

WaddaIdo? Don't believe it, :p manufactures can (and do) send out "fixes" that may have some sort of unexpected effect and actually cause more troubles.

Had the same thing happen on a new lenovo laptop a few weeks back, once I had set it up and upgraded the OS, Up pops this message relating to a BIOS update -- Okayyyyy let it go in, and what ya know -- Errors, cannot connect to server ( similar wording) The following day same message, but this time it did connect - but guess what --No such Update. Sweet -- disable the message and forget about it.

On another point - your new PC, open search, type in winver , open it, if its 1709 then you are going to get a huge update = Windows 10 Version 1803. You can either run windows updates and let it come through, or manually get it by downloading the media creation tool.

Just be aware that it may take HOURS to upgrade. The last two New laptops I did, one took 5 1/2 hours the other 4 3/4. Its NOT windows that is causing it to go so slow its all the crap that's installed by the manufactures.

Did two yesterday, one upgrade from brand new (the 4 3/4) at the same time I had another older HP laptop, wiped its drive, install a fresh copy, just under an hour total.

allblack
10-08-2018, 09:54 AM
"cause more troubles" is what Google said, but I had to check it or else yous fullas would give me grief!

It did a d/load for 1709, just like my lappie has done tons of lately. It then said no further updates, so 1803 doesn't appear to be on my horizon.

So....upshot is I should ignore the BIOS update in HP assistant?

dugimodo
10-08-2018, 10:22 AM
The rule of thumb with BIOS updates normally is only update it if you are having issues, or if one of the fixes they mention normally on the website somewhere seems like it applies to you.
Or to summarise with a cliche, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

They tend to release updates to fix stabiity issues, improve memory compatibility, add more CPU options, that sort of thing. If it's stable and working well there's really no reason to update.

autechre
10-08-2018, 11:01 AM
Be aware that if the HP support is anything like Dell's, you'll need to be running the latest BIOS before they will do anything.

Provided your power doesn't cut out, a BIOS upgrade is usually painless.

allblack
10-08-2018, 11:25 AM
if it ain't broke don't fix it.

This I get.

10-08-2018, 12:55 PM

Ha , if only.
Ive had a brand new HP PC, bricked by a bios update. This update was confirmed to be "correct" by the HP help desk.
It happens. To many sub-models, to messy a website .
Ive known of PC's losing power during a bios update, bricking the PC . Very rare, but can happen.

Its allways a risk. 99% of the time its Ok. Its that 1% that causes grief.
And some bios updates have been known to add new bugs :badpc:

allblack
10-08-2018, 12:58 PM
Ok - supplementary question.

Lets say I look at it more closely tonight, and the update was relased, say, 6 months ago for arguments sake.

Does this matter? As in if there were any issues as described above, HP would have fixed them in the update file?

Or should I go back to Plan A and just leave sh1t alone.

10-08-2018, 02:35 PM
You'll wont know untill you try. If its under warranty & you brick it, just make a warranty claim (dont tell them you updated bios)

Personally , I would uninstall most of the HP crapware/bloatware . Its not needed & will run better without it.

Agent_24
10-08-2018, 09:55 PM
Check the BIOS update changelog and see if there's anything fun, otherwise probably don't bother.

Unless you can get a download for the old BIOS version to revert to in case the new one is buggy, in which case you could go back and forth between them and see if you can spot the difference...

gary67
10-08-2018, 11:05 PM
If it ain't broke leave well alone

chiefnz
11-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Personally, I update my BIOS to at least n-1 where n is the most recent version released.

As some of the posters have said, if it isn't broke don't rush out and update it. I would say this is more applicable for "custom" builds rather than computers/laptops from the likes of HP/Dell etc. primarily because as also mentioned they usually won't provide "support" unless you're on the latest BIOS version and / or a supported and updated version of Windows.