PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Date

lostsoul62
08-08-2018, 06:01 AM
I have WD 1 TB Hard Drives and is there anyway to see how old they are without pulling them out of the computers because I have several and just don't want to pull my computer apart if I don't have to?

wainuitech
08-08-2018, 09:10 AM
There are several programs that can do that. One I use is Crystal Disk Info, another is Speccy.

Example of CrystalDisk Info. If you select the drive, power on reading put your mouse over the number converts it to days /Hours, then work it out from that :)

piroska
08-08-2018, 09:31 AM
Which might work, but if the oldest was installed after the newest, I don't think power on hours helps.

You don't have to pull them out, well, probably not, you should be able to read the manufacture date without actually taking it out of the drive bay.

08-08-2018, 09:54 AM
This might work ? worth a try.

use your fav HD software & read off the s/n's
Go to WD's website & do a warranty check , it may give approx date of manufacture/sale (some manufacturers online warranty checks do)

anyway, age means b8gger all with HD's

wainuitech
08-08-2018, 06:20 PM
Also depends on what you want the age for ??

If its for a warranty, then the date of manufacture means nothing, its the date you brought it. That's what they go by / that's when the warranty starts from.

If a Supplier sells a HDD, and there's a warranty issue, they look up when it was purchased from them (serial Number and invoice date) and the warranty period goes from that, doesn't matter how long they have had it on their shelves. If you brought a HDD from some shop ( same thing) left it sitting at your house not used for a year then its already a year of its warranty gone.

If you wanted to know how long you been using it for that's when the hours / Days will work, just count back xxxxx number of days.

Paul.Cov
09-08-2018, 10:10 PM
In Win7 I can go to the drive properties, Hardware tab, Properties again, select Install Date or First Install Date, and bingo. If the drive was previously used in a different system then you could use the model number info visible on the same screen to Google the aprox date those drives hit the market. They typically don't sit on the shop shelves for long.

Agent_24
11-08-2018, 08:42 AM
I don't know why you want to know the age, but in almost all cases it doesn't matter as others have said.

If you're worried about reliability of old drives, the answer is still the same, have multiple backups in multiple, separate locations. This will be and always has been the only solution.

Brand new drives sometimes die within months or less...