PDA

View Full Version : BIOS

lostsoul62
07-08-2018, 05:23 AM
I have a AMD 955 which is 7 1/2 years old and I put Windows 10 on it when it was free on a SSD Hard Drive. I also have Windows 7 on another Hard Drive. I am running Windows 7 and I disconnected the Windows 7 Hard Drive and hook up the Windows 10 Hard drive and the BOIS would not even see the hard drive. When I put back to the Windows 7 Hard drive it tried to boot off of my Data Hard Drive so I had to go back into the BIOS and fix it. My question is the BIOS can not see my Windows 10 Hard Drive from at 7 1/2 year old computer and that Windows 10 needs a motherboard that can boot off of the New BIOS?

chiefnz
07-08-2018, 06:34 PM
I have a AMD 955 which is 7 1/2 years old and I put Windows 10 on it when it was free on a SSD Hard Drive

So was this setup as a dual boot with Windows 7 and Windows 10 on 2 different drives?
If so, could be the boot loader is on the Windows 7 disk and now you've removed it nothing loads?

Are you sure the Windows 10 disk is working? If you boot with Windows 7 does the Windows 10 disk show up in the BIOS and/or in Windows Explorer?

A few other things to check...

UEFI ===> enabled/disabled?
Does your motherboard support SecureBoot... check if this enabled/disabled... you may need to disable it for Windows 10.
Storage controller mode ===> AHCI/RAID/IDE?

Do you get any error messages when you try to boot the Windows 10 disk?

Kame
07-08-2018, 07:13 PM
I think that the hard drive not being detected at all is something you need to elaborate more on.

Do you mean that it is not being picked up in the bios at all?

Or it picks it up but just won't boot it.

Need to understand whether it's legacy booting (MBR) or UEFI booting and whether your bios supports the latter as well.

The storage controller mode that chiefnz mentioned would be important, as that too may prevent an AHCI disk being seen as IDE but it shouldn't under either mode but I've seen some cases where faulty sata ports affected the drive.

Bryan
08-08-2018, 08:33 AM
I've had a similar problem with SSD. Try turning off the computer and removing the power cord, press the main computer startup button and hold for about 30 secs. Next remove the power connection to the SSD. Wait for say 20 secs and then reconnect it all and see if it fires up. Let's know if that helps.