PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 folder problem

jupiter1
05-08-2018, 10:25 AM
Windows 7 Pro Folder problem

For the past several years I have been opening a folder with a single click.
Then, have been opening another folder "in the same folder" ie. Only one folder open at a time.

I have then been able to "go back or forward" to the previous folder by using the Left or Right arrow at the top left of the open folder on the screen.

These 2 arrows are now "greyed out" for some reason which I have not been able to solve.
Using "control panel - Folder options" does not seem to have an feature to remedy this.

Any suggestions please.
Cheers.

Paul.Cov
05-08-2018, 09:15 PM
Well, since nobody has offered a better option, try this old, often highly successfull method.

Do a complete shutdown (not Sleep, Not Hibernate) to a totally Off state.
Restart.
See if the issue is resolved or not.

jupiter1
06-08-2018, 09:59 AM
Well, since nobody has offered a better option, try this old, often highly successfull method.

Do a complete shutdown (not Sleep, Not Hibernate) to a totally Off state.
Restart.
See if the issue is resolved or not.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.
Have tried your solution at the outset and a couple of others with no success :-((

wainuitech
06-08-2018, 10:21 AM
Check the folder options are not set to open in a new window. If they open in a new window there's nothing to go back / Forward to. Make sure they are set to open in same window (from explorer>tools>folder options)

jupiter1
06-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Check the folder options are not set to open in a new window. If they open in a new window there's nothing to go back / Forward to. Make sure they are set to open in same window (from explorer>tools>folder options)

Thanks wainui, all good there, the setting is....
"open each Folder in same window".
Which doesn't seem to be working properly as the new folder opens in a new window.

bevy121
06-08-2018, 02:59 PM
have you tried changing it to "open in new window" - saving - rebooting - then changing it back to "open in same window" to see if that "kicks" it back?

bevy121
06-08-2018, 03:34 PM
This seems like the fix...

run an elevated command prompt
(type cmd in the search and then right click on the cmd.exe listed and run as administrator)

(64 bit) copy paste the following into the command prompt and hit enter - should say "succeeded"

regsvr32.exe "%Programfiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

I doubt you have 32 bit - but for anyone that has, use this instead..

regsvr32.exe "%Programfiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

jupiter1
06-08-2018, 04:55 PM
This seems like the fix...

run an elevated command prompt
(type cmd in the search and then right click on the cmd.exe listed and run as administrator)

(64 bit) copy paste the following into the command prompt and hit enter - should say "succeeded"

regsvr32.exe "%Programfiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

I doubt you have 32 bit - but for anyone that has, use this instead..

regsvr32.exe "%Programfiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

Tried both of your suggestions, neither worked :-(
There are no other problems with my system, I have run mbam and ccleaner without an error.

Thanks.

jupiter1
06-08-2018, 05:15 PM
Please note. my laptop is a Toshiba satelite Pro c850 laptop.
Running Windows 7 pro ver6.1.7601 s/p1
hope this helps.

wainuitech
06-08-2018, 06:19 PM
Have a read of this MS technet Thread https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/797fe60c-efb8-44d0-8495-81102b0a7c9c/quotopen-each-folder-in-the-same-windowquot-not-working?forum=w7itproui Seems the suggestion by Whup appears to work for most of the replies (3rd answer)--- Who knows ??

jupiter1
07-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Got it :-))
Did the sequence below and all folders functioning OK now.
See wainuitech's post above.
Many, many thanks Wainui.

First step sfc/scannow

Reboot

Second step regsvr32 "%SystemRoot%\System32\actxprxy.dll"
Third step regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"