PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall App on Tablet

Pato
29-07-2018, 04:05 PM
I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 Tablet 10.1 and I want to uninstall Skype. I am can only disable it but I want to get rid and install another version. Google has been of no help.

Having been informed that version 7 would stop working shortly I foolishly updated it and lost all my contacts. I am not sure which version I should install but need to get rid of this terrible replacement version.

dugimodo
30-07-2018, 10:24 AM
If they are installed by the manufacturer you can't remove them by default unless you root the tablet, but if you choose the disable option it should remove all the updates and put it back to the original state as well as disabling it.

Your contacts should still be there, usually that just means you haven't logged into the same skype account. I'm no expert though and have recently begun to dislike the desktop version of skype because of the downgrades that MS keep issuing.

30-07-2018, 11:54 AM
It seems every new version of Skype it gets worse .
If you want to use it, you will need the newer version anyway

Pato
30-07-2018, 03:02 PM
If they are installed by the manufacturer you can't remove them by default unless you root the tablet, but if you choose the disable option it should remove all the updates and put it back to the original state as well as disabling it.

Your contacts should still be there, usually that just means you haven't logged into the same skype account. I'm no expert though and have recently begun to dislike the desktop version of skype because of the downgrades that MS keep issuing.So I won't be able to try another version on my Tablet.? I am going off Microsoft.

dugimodo
30-07-2018, 03:40 PM
So I won't be able to try another version on my Tablet.? I am going off Microsoft.

Not easily no, but that's android in general not MS. You can track down an APK and sideload apps but generally the store tends to only have the latest version if you use the official method to install and update things.
Disabling and then re enabling the app will revert it back to the original, but to get a newer version that's not the latest you may be out of luck.

Pato
30-07-2018, 03:49 PM
Thanks for that information at least I am now a little wiser.

B.M.
31-07-2018, 05:21 PM
It seems every new version of Skype it gets worse .
If you want to use it, you will need the newer version anyway

Wife had exactly the same problem on her Win 10 Laptop.

I tried to reinstall the replaced version from my Downloads Folder but to no avail.

Got told I must use the new version.

Anyway, I got out of it by rolling back to the latest Restore Point and it works fine again for now.

However, I don’t know if that option is available on a Tablet?

Linux Mint copped it too and is no longer supported by Skype/Microsoft but you can get out of that by re-installing ver. 8.11.0.4 for what it’s worth.

Seems like Microsoft’s “Phone Home facility” doesn’t work on Linux. :lol:

piroska
31-07-2018, 06:05 PM
I was able to delete system files by plugging it into Linux...
Possibly unwise if you want it to function well as a tablet, but it did let me.

zqwerty
31-07-2018, 07:47 PM
Fairly sure Skype Classic 7.40.0.104 still works on most Windows o/s's.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/skype-classic/

01-08-2018, 10:03 AM
Fairly sure Skype Classic 7.40.0.104 still works on most Windows o/s's.

not for much longer :)
https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-end-support-for-skype-classic-after-september-1/
"Microsoft will end support for Skype 'Classic' after September 1"

Pato
01-08-2018, 02:11 PM
I have given up trying to restore Skype on my Tablet. Why they want access to Contacts, Photos, etc before it is fully functional I don't know.

01-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Why they want access to Contacts, Photos, etc before it is fully functional I don't know.

Thats the norm with far too many Android apps . They want access to everything, often for no good reason.
I can see why Skype might want to access contacts & photos, but it definitely doesnt need access to those to work.

John H
03-08-2018, 02:35 PM
Pato - are you sure you have lost your Skype contacts? I recently installed the latest version of Skype on my Samsung tablet (first installation on a new tablet) and it took me ages to find my Skype contacts. Under the Contacts menu I could find all of my email contacts but not Skype's.

It took two events to find them. First, you have to find the sub menu for Skype contacts. Secondly you need to login correctly to Skype for the contacts to display. I was wrongly logged in via my email address. It was only when I logged out and logged in again under my Skype name that the Skype contacts displayed correctly. See if that works for you?

Pato
04-08-2018, 02:37 PM
Hi John, Thanks for your suggestions. The only contacts that it brings up are my telephone addresses. I still can't find my Skype contacts, but I suspect it is because I have changed around my sign-in
method and it has confused Skype and myself.

John H
04-08-2018, 05:30 PM
Pato, when you open Skype there are three icons top left. First is a clock, second is a contact book. The first time I clicked on it, the default opening was my contacts so I thought I had lost all of my Skype contacts. However there is a sub menu that is called Skype and that is where you find your Skype contacts. The first time I tried it there was nothing listed. I tried again after I logged out and then logged back on using my Skype name rather than my email address - they were all there under the Skype sub menu.

Pato
05-08-2018, 12:18 PM
Hi John, I never knew there was a sub menu also called Skype so many thanks for alerting me to this. I thought the contacts must still be there somewhere but I certainly couldn't have found them without your help.