PDA

View Full Version : New PC - motherboard

tommy
28-07-2018, 10:10 PM
I am planning to put together a new rig so that the family can upgrade to my current system and would like some advice on which motherboard to choose. I have narrowed it down to three which are very similar but I can't decide whether any one of them is slightly more superior than the others. They are, in no particular order:

Asus Prime H370M-Plus Motherboard, Socket 1151 v2, Intel H370, M-ATX

Gigabyte H370-HD3 Motherboard, Socket 1151 v2, Intel H370, ATX

Asus Prime H370-A Motherboard, Socket 1151 v2, Intel H370, ATX

I will most likely be using an Intel Core i5-8400 processor and 16GB memory in a Corsair Carbide Series 100R Mid-Tower Silent Edition case using the onboard graphics. The DVD drive from my current PC will be transferred to the new system. For storage I'll use a new SSD drive for the OS and programs and my existing 1TB SATA3 hard drive plus a new SATA HDD for data. I haven't looked into hard drives yet so I'm not sure what ports they will be using.

The PC will mainly be used for photo editing, office and internet which my current system handles fine so the new one will be even better.

There is not much difference between the price of the boards so in addition to features and specs is the layout of one better than the others with regards to connecting cables, etc? The front audio and USB ports get used a lot so easy connection is essential.

It would be great if anyone could advise which would be their preference and the reason why. Thanks.

piroska
29-07-2018, 08:47 AM
Asus Prime H370-A Motherboard, Socket 1151 v2,

This.
sata ports in a better spot is the only reason.

wainuitech
29-07-2018, 10:20 AM
Just a couple of things to look at.

The Asus Prime H370M-Plus is a mATX Board. which means its wider

The Asus Prime H370-A is ATX Which means its narrower but longer

The Gigabyte is ATX but has more options for Audio. ( 6 ports compared to the 3 with ASUS)

Really the internal connections (SATA, USB etc) are not really a concern, generally you are not unplugging / Plugging them in and out all the time.

tommy
29-07-2018, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards the H370-A board so its good to have confirmation. I find it a challenge to work out the correct front port connections which is why it was mentioned. Some case manuals have better diagrams and instructions than others so will have to check that next. The extra audio ports won't be used so not needed.

chiefnz
30-07-2018, 11:25 AM
I just upgraded to the Asus Prime Z370-P....Great board.

In hindsight though I really should have waited a bit and gone for the "A" variation which has 6 SATA ports as opposed to 4 on the "P". This along with a better LAN controller are the only "real" differences for me between the 2 boards. So currently I'm stuck with no optical drive because I have an SSD plus 3 x 2 TB HDD's using all the SATA ports.

I went for the "P" board which was about $60 cheaper bacause I had to get a Core i7 8700K CPU as the i5 I was going to buy was out of stock.

Next step is to upgrade the OS SSD to an M.2 and replace the three 2TB disks with maybe 2 x 4TB disks that way I can at least plug the DVD drive back in. Of course I could go for the cheaper option and just replace the internal DVD unit with a USB one but where's the fun in that!!! :punk :D