PDA

View Full Version : Chrome woes - Win7 Professional

Gedc
25-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Same install on several machines at home running fine but my desktop not playing nice for last few nights. It would appear Chrome is hanging / crashing when trying to open a new tab. Opening a single chrome page seems to work 90% of the time. I can happily navigate to various websites with no issues. Go to open a new tab and that second page just sits with a spinning icon. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. When it doesn't, I either get nothing on screen and it just sits there with little icon spinning up in the new tab title or i get a message saying website x failed to respond ( after a few minutes ) and a box to " continue waiting or cancel".

The crux being that when the second tab goes borky, the main chrome page now doesn't want to load anything new...I then close down all the chrome processes running using task manager and rinse and repeat - generally same issues. First instance works fine. New Tab breaks it.

Reason I'm here is I've scoured the net and have done the following.

Disable all extensions - generally adblock and videodownloader, uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome several times, restarted PC several times, ran malware and AV scans that all came up clean, ticked various boxes as recommended on forums such as ' hardware acceleration enable / disable " etc...

If it hangs I can close the process using taskmgr and it can take 5 to 10 seconds, then I can re-open an instance of chrome and it works for a bit...then same issues. Works fine on main page..Open a couple of tabs - they may work fine initially but suddenly a new tab spins / hangs and every other open tab and page goes the same way.

I realised last night that uninstalling chrome using Program Manager still leaves a number of folders and user data on my machine as well as registry entries so I'm now assuming I have something corrupt in that space which I need to resolve.

IExplorer and Firefox browsers work fine but I prefer Chrome and have been using it for a long time now so keen to fix the issues.

Any pointers or first steps to isolate this ?

Thanks for the help

Gedc
25-07-2018, 12:20 PM
May have answered my own post

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/JSG8eD6Kb8A;context-place=forum/chrome

Halfway down - Malwarebytes updates causing issues to multiple users

Malwarebytes working on an updated release