PDA

View Full Version : Internet Speed

Roscoe
25-07-2018, 09:05 AM
I did an Internet Speed Test. The result was 4.51 mpbs download and 0.46 mpbs upload. It noted that "Your internet speed is slow" but it did not say what to do about that.

Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

Your help is appreciated.

Zippity
25-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Where are you located? Franz Joseph?

Bryan
25-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Are you on dial-up, ADSL or VDSL?

Roscoe
25-07-2018, 09:38 AM
Where are you located? Franz Joseph?

Onehunga, Auckland.

We are on broadband. How do you tell if it is ADSL or VDSL?

dugimodo
25-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Was it ookla or another speedtest site? first you need to make sure where the test server is to make sure it's your connection and not the ISPs international bandwidth you are testing.

For example if I use the speedtest link on this site it goes to an Aussie test and gives me poor results but if I go to http://www.speedtest.net/ it automatically picks a closer server and I get my full expected speed.
If nothing improves the next trick is to log into your router and see what the connection speed is, if it's low at that point only your ISP can do anything about it, and maybe not even them.

Driftwood
25-07-2018, 10:26 AM
Mine averages around 24Mpbs but the highest I have ever seen it during a download is about 3.5Mpbs

Roscoe
25-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Was it ookla or another speedtest site? first you need to make sure where the test server is to make sure it's your connection and not the ISPs international bandwidth you are testing.

For example if I use the speedtest link on this site it goes to an Aussie test and gives me poor results but if I go to http://www.speedtest.net/ it automatically picks a closer server and I get my full expected speed.
If nothing improves the next trick is to log into your router and see what the connection speed is, if it's low at that point only your ISP can do anything about it, and maybe not even them.

I went to the speedtest site you mentioned and it said download 4.5, upload .55 download, ping 17ms so there is not much difference from the first test.

You said that I should log into my router. How do I do that, please?

piroska
25-07-2018, 11:34 AM
. How do you tell if it is ADSL or VDSL?

Because you chose the plan to sign up to.

wainuitech
25-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Has it always been that slow ??

Depending on the plan you have, especially if its a old plan, if you have gone over your data limit (if you have one) Some of the IS's will simply throttle you back until the next payment cycle kicks in, then the speed is back again.

Failing this, contact your ISP and ask what's going on. "Sometimes" they have to reset the connection at their end and away it goes again, back to normal.

dugimodo
25-07-2018, 01:42 PM
I went to the speedtest site you mentioned and it said download 4.5, upload .55 download, ping 17ms so there is not much difference from the first test.

You said that I should log into my router. How do I do that, please?

The simplest thing is to talk to your ISP and ask what you should be getting, they should have a pretty good IDea.

But to answer the question
You go into a browser (internet explorer,chrome, etc) and put the routers IP address into the address bar instead of a website. Then you need a user name and password which is usually admin/admin but it may be different on some ISPs and then you browse around the routers web pages looking for the DSL connection speed, it can be a little hard to find on some routers.

To get the router IP address you can either;-
Go to a command prompt and run ipconfig - look for the gateway address
or
right click the network icon down by the time on the task bar, open network and file sharing center, click change adapter settings, right click on the active network connection and choose status, then click details and look for the Default gateway address, if there's two use the IPv4 address not the IPv6

The address is most likely something like 192.168.1.1 or maybe 192.168.1.254 but it might be something else.

Roscoe
25-07-2018, 01:46 PM
Has it always been that slow ??

Depending on the plan you have, especially if its a old plan, if you have gone over your data limit (if you have one) Some of the IS's will simply throttle you back until the next payment cycle kicks in, then the speed is back again.

Failing this, contact your ISP and ask what's going on. "Sometimes" they have to reset the connection at their end and away it goes again, back to normal.

Yes, it has, although I did not notice it was that slow as I do not download or upload very big files.

I rang our ISP and they told me that Chorus told them that is the speed you get on copper and so there is nothing you can do about it.I was also told that fibre is being installed next January which, of course, will make a big difference.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Lurking
25-07-2018, 03:05 PM
We are still on Vod cable and about 39,999 on the list of 40,000 in ChCh to get fiber.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7497784426 is the latest for replacement of VF modem and router.

wainuitech
25-07-2018, 03:28 PM
Yes, it has, although I did not notice it was that slow as I do not download or upload very big files.

I rang our ISP and they told me that Chorus told them that is the speed you get on copper and so there is nothing you can do about it.I was also told that fibre is being installed next January which, of course, will make a big difference.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. In Bold, That's BS!! unless you are rural.

VDSL runs through the same copper phone lines and is faster than ADSL so how do they explain that one ??

Have a look at this page: https://www.broadbandcompare.co.nz/n/internet-connection-speeds-nz

Sparks description of VDSL HERE (https://store.spark.co.nz/forms/page/ultravdsloffersummary)

Even with Fibre - Many people don't know that there are different plans with different ISP's. The Entry level is around 30Mbps. The more $$ you pay the faster you get.

When we get the door knockers here they spout on about UFB and you can get upto 300Mbps-- With a smile I reply why would I want to take a 2/3rd reduction in speed, I get around 800-900 Mbps Now :) Had one didn't believe me so I invited him in ran a speed test - he was :eek:

I pointed at the Vodafone cable which has Fibre Max, OH -- Sorry and walked away.

25-07-2018, 03:42 PM
The result was 4.51 mpbs download and 0.46 mpbs upload. .

About the same as mine, actually yours is better :-)
Happens every winter,often after alot of rain. Caused by water/dampness (for me)
Once my issue was at the exchange , so can also be that

So you probably have bad phone lines . If so its fixable, but you may get charged if the issue is the lines/cable in your house or the lines across your section.
Its a common issue down my street, one chorus tech said he's done alot of line repairs in my street

If you have noisy lines, VDSL is a no go.
Also , VDSL is NOT available in every part of Ak, Im too far from the exchange for it.

25-07-2018, 03:49 PM
What ISP.
If you post up this issue on the geekzone forums, you may get quick resolution as some ISP's (kiwi) techs are active on Geekzone and do make an effort to help out.

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp

dugimodo
25-07-2018, 07:59 PM
@Wainui, it might be BS and it might not. Depends how far to the cabinet, what type of cable, how many customers, and what technology is available at that cabinet. Without that information it's all just guesswork.
My younger sister is 3.5km from the nearest exchange and gets speeds very similar to the ones in this thread and that is as fast as it's going to get without a network upgrade (new cabinet) or fibre installation - which hasn't reached them yet.
For some people that really is as good as it gets.

I guess the BS part is any suggestion that copper can't do better, under the right conditions it really can almost match fibre. Put 10db loss into the calculator I linked below and see what it says, and that's quite typical in urban areas.
Add to that Chorus have been upgrading to a newer type of VDSL equipment with noise cancelling technology that boosts it quite a bit over standard VDSL and speeds over 60mbps are not unlikely.

If you can log into the router as discussed previously and find the attenuation figure you can put it into a calculator like this one https://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php and that will give you a very rough guide as to what speed you should get. It makes many assumptions so don't expect it to be spot on, but if it's not in the ballpark you may have an issue that can be fixed.

wainuitech
25-07-2018, 08:25 PM
I guess the BS part is any suggestion that copper can't do better Thats the part I was calling BS. Copper can be faster than that.

Sure there are plenty of other reasons why its slower than max, I do know how it all works, and the reasons why it can be slow, but a basic answer from a ISP stating that's all it can handle is false information.

Bit like the fibre -- It can go a faster than any ISP is offering, as the guy from Chorus and I were discussing one day, and he explained why at the moment they are holding it back.

piroska
26-07-2018, 09:23 AM
In Bold, That's BS!! unless you are rural.

VDSL runs through the same copper phone lines and is faster than ADSL so how do they explain that one ??

No it isn't. Depends on line quality, distance from exchange or cabinet, all sorts of things.

VDSL is possible only where they have fibre at the ends....https://www.chorus.co.nz/help-and-support/broadband-explained/what-vdsl

Techguru
27-07-2018, 03:10 AM
Your upload speed is too low.