PDA

View Full Version : Another SSD problem!

Bryan
01-07-2018, 08:16 PM
When in my SSD, by mistake I pressed the automatic switch off/on button. The PC booted into the old mechanical drive that is still attached.

This reboot has happened a couple of times now, like after a power cut. When I investigate further, the SSD doesn't appear in the bios, only the old mechanical drive and my data mechanical hdd.

If I disconnect the power to the PC, hold in the on switch for 10 seconds then re-attach the power I still boot into the old HDD. I've read that this should clear power problems and is good to get a wayward USB 3 to clear.

I have now found that if I turn the system off, disconnect the power to the SSD and then the data cable, re-attach the cables and turn the power back on, then I reboot into the SSD.

The SSD is a Samsung 960 250G. My question is - does anyone know if the SSD might retain a residual amount of power enough to stop it from booting after a problem like that from above?

I am loath to disconnect the old HDD worried about losing the system entirely but maybe I should just try it and see.

The SSD is set up with an Active/Boot hidden partition to boot the SSD so I should be able to disconnect the old drive. Any thoughts?

Nomad
01-07-2018, 08:42 PM
Tried going to the bios and checking the booting sequence that the SSD will boot first?

What is inside the old HDD? Does it have the older Window files in it, since it is bootable? If so, for now why do you still have those there since you are now using the SSD.

For now what do you use the old HDD for? Do you just access the data files?

Bryan
01-07-2018, 09:18 PM
The old HDD has a current version of Win10. I did disconnect it once and had all sorts of problems booting from the SSD. As far as I can tell, I have everyting I need for the SSD to stand alone but once bitten twice shy.

Bryan
01-07-2018, 10:16 PM
Earlier I claimed the SSD as a 960, in fact it is a 860.

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Was the old hdd connected when you installed windows on the ssd?

If it was you can have probs later. You should start again disconnect the old hdd then reinstall windows

linw
07-07-2018, 12:36 PM
+1