PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive issue - strange

Nomad
29-06-2018, 08:34 PM
Windows 10 (desktop) started going very slow and locked up. I forced a restart, then as it was restarting before it got to the login section it said "repairing disk errors" for several minutes. It got in and gave me a black wallpaper with a taskbar with no icons (eventually).

My boot is a SSD.
I pulled a normal spinning hard drive out and it was fine then.

However I can read this HDD via a eSATA HDD Dock without issues. I can also use this HDD internally with a different SATA connector. What gives?

The motherboard is new from 1 or 2 months ago ....
I ran HD Senitel this HDD does have ... 1 bad sector on the surface. The health is 40% and interesting it says not bad enough for a warranty (warranty is over the drive is 9yrs old).

Cheers. :)

wainuitech
29-06-2018, 10:43 PM
Bet ya its got more than 1 bad sector ;)

Run crystal disk info on / over it. https://crystalmark.info/en/download/

Look for the uncorrectable sector count (C6), if its Yellow - the drives dying and should be replaced NOW !!

This drive is in Blue, so its generally OK. Most drives I've seen with the option is yellow or Red, and ALWAYS has problems running slow, crashing etc, replace the drive and all the problems disappear (even if its been cloned)

piroska
30-06-2018, 08:26 AM
However I can read this HDD via a eSATA HDD Dock without issues. I can also use this HDD internally with a different SATA connector. What gives?

Run a check on it with the manufacturers software.
But you are saying there are no issues if on a different port? Then, if the drive checks out, you need to suspect the motherboard.

Nomad
30-06-2018, 11:04 AM
CrystalmarkInfo - none with C6 (blue). Yes (yellow) - 05 Reallocated Sectors Count (current 100, worst 100, threshold 36).

Seagate Seatools - passes the tests so far. Including the short generic test and SMART Check.

C: the SSD
E: the affected HDD 500GB. Data drive.
F: same brand same size 500GB which I use for backup (automated daily E: to F:).

I pulled the affected E: HDD out and I put the F: onto on the same SATA port and it works.

I then formatted the affected HDD via eSATA and put it back inside with the original SATA port it still fails to boot Windows correctly. the working F: is now E: and the affected E: is now unknown to me until Windows gets in.

wainuitech
30-06-2018, 12:46 PM
If changing the drive, but everything else is the same ( SATA port, Cable, Power) and it works as it should, then put the other drive back and it plays up, thats indicating there is something that Windows doesn't like about that drive.

If the drives been reformatted, that may not be enough. If theres nothing on the drive that's wanted, then wipe all the partitions on the suspect drive completely, with the empty drive still attached boot and see if it plays up, if it does then there's a HDD fault, if not, recreate a new partition and reformat.

If it boots OK with no partitions, windows wont show the drive, it will need a new partition /formatted. it will show in the disk management as a empty volume.

Nomad
30-06-2018, 01:03 PM
If changing the drive, but everything else is the same ( SATA port, Cable, Power) and it works as it should, then put the other drive back and it plays up, thats indicating there is something that Windows doesn't like about that drive.

Yep. Everything is the same. I disconnect only the affected drive E: power and SATA cable (SATA port 2). Then everything works. Fast boot ups etc.
Yep again. If I take the working drive and put in the same power cable and same SATA cable that had the affected drive (SATA port 2) - again works fine also.

Differently ..
If I take out the affected drive (SATA port 2). Then I leave the working drive as it is (SATA port 3)- I just change the drive letter from F to E. It works.
Now - I formatted the affected drive via eSATA and plug this back into it's original SATA port 2. Computer does not boot up correctly.

Edit.
With my laptop using the affected drive as eSATA the first round it was fine. The 2nd attempt with the laptop also got repairing disk errors with start up. This is unformatted with the files still attached.

Nomad
30-06-2018, 01:05 PM
If the drives been reformatted, that may not be enough. If theres nothing on the drive that's wanted, then wipe all the partitions on the suspect drive completely, with the empty drive still attached boot and see if it plays up, if it does then there's a HDD fault, if not, recreate a new partition and reformat.

If it boots OK with no partitions, windows wont show the drive, it will need a new partition /formatted. it will show in the disk management as a empty volume.

Will report back.

Nomad
30-06-2018, 05:24 PM
Reporting back - I deleted the partition on the affected HDD. Recreated the partition and using SyncBack res-sync all the files. Pulled that other HDD out. So I had the C: SSD on port 1. On the affected (original) port 2 I plugged the affected HDD back on (partition redone). It works fine ....

wainuitech
30-06-2018, 05:51 PM
Reporting back - I deleted the partition on the affected HDD. Recreated the partition and using SyncBack res-sync all the files. Pulled that other HDD out. So I had the C: SSD on port 1. On the affected (original) port 2 I plugged the affected HDD back on (partition redone). It works fine .... Could have been something in the partition table that got its knickers in a twist :D Rebuilding it may have cured it --- as long as its working OK Now:)

Some advise keep an eye on the drive - At some stage it will cause problems again ( sectors failing)

As Rachael Hunter used to say in her Pantene shampoo adverts,
'It won't happen overnight but it will happen' :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EweM_ILVt4

02-07-2018, 09:22 AM
.... the drive is 9yrs old ....

Seriously, just replace the drive . Its failed once allready .
Better to do it while its still readable.