PDA

View Full Version : VGA monitor and HDMI laptop

rimutaka
23-06-2018, 12:35 AM
Hi,

I bought a new monitor LG LED 19M38A-B.

Unfortunately, the port of monitor (only VGA) is different than port in my laptop (only HDMI). Then, I bought an adapter (VGA to HDMI) but still there is no a connection between monitor and laptop.

I have connected this monitor with another laptop which has a VGA port and it works.

Any suggestion??

Thank you.

Digby
23-06-2018, 06:55 AM
Yes, we all need to check what ports our computers have "before" we buy a new monitor, and also think of the future.
Ie for desk tops, motherboards and graphics cards.
I do not know anything about adaptors sorry

wainuitech
23-06-2018, 10:21 AM
Depending on the laptop ( you didn't say what it is or what OS is being used) you may have to go into the graphic control panel and change the settings. Laptops can have two different graphic outputs. The standard being the screen, the other the port.

Some laptops you have to press a key combo, Generally FN + {Key with display on it} on the numeric keys along the top, then the port works.

Another test is to connect the laptop Via the HDMI to another screen that has HDMI input, that way you can test if its the laptop or Adapter thats the problem.

It could also be the actual adapter - some are pieces of junk.

From a HP forum:
HDMI uses digital signals and VGA uses analog signals. From digital to analog requires a conversion process. Does your HDMI-VGA support this process ? The HDMI simply may not be capable, hence the previous test, HDMI to HDMI.

What adapter do you have ?

Driftwood
23-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Have you considered exchanging the monitor for one with more suitable ports.
I'm surprised they still make a monitor with only a VGA port.

rimutaka
23-06-2018, 12:10 PM
Hi,

My laptop is ASUS ROG G501VW with OS windows 10 Home. I am not sure whether my laptop supports conversion from VGA to HDMI.

My adapter is a small plug that has two ends on it, one for VGA another for HDMI.

wainuitech
23-06-2018, 02:46 PM
If its a straight cable / Adapter with a HDMI plug on one end and a VGA the other it wont work. It needs to be something like this.

https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/tv-home-entertainment/tv-accessories/belkin/belkin-hdmi-to-vga-adapter-with-audio/335929/

If you take your laptop to a shop and make sure it works first then you wont waste money and time.

The adapter has to convert the signal From digital to analog.

That's why I mentioned "connect the laptop Via the HDMI to another screen that has HDMI input" this will test if its the adapter or the laptop causing the problem.

Nomad
23-06-2018, 03:08 PM
Where did you buy this monitor and how much was it? Am surprised one could get such a thing today. Do they have a return policy?

These might had been designed for legacy older (workplace) computers. My 2009 computer had HDMI / DVI.

piroska
23-06-2018, 03:43 PM
Odd, check the adapter...has it the matching pin config? Son got caught on that once, had to get him a slightly different one.

Nomad
23-06-2018, 04:17 PM
Odd, check the adapter...has it the matching pin config? Son got caught on that once, had to get him a slightly different one.
Looks like just VGA

http://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitor/lg-19M38A-B

If a converter thingy is going to cost $75, you might be better off buying another monitor at $150. $165 Samsung 24 inches for example (your is 19 inches).
https://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=3642548

Going by price for new there isn't really anything much cheaper. There looks like maybe a $160 Samsung non curve screen smaller 22" for $5 cheaper.

https://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?m=s325319670&o=produkt_pris_inkmoms

You would also find on the current one you have now, it's not full HD.

rimutaka
23-06-2018, 04:59 PM
Hi,

Thank you guys for all suggestions.

I am in overseas right now doing some works and my office manager bought this monitor from online store (price around NZD 90.00).

My adapter is only a plug without cable on it and it has pins for VGA and HDMI at each end.

It looks like I have to return this monitor and get another one with a HDMI connection.

Regards,

wainuitech
23-06-2018, 05:41 PM
You can pick up adapters a LOT cheaper from Aliexpress. BUT you have to take pot luck as to if they work or not, $2-$10 US

decibel
30-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Aren't those adapters uni-directional?

If so, you need an HDMI > VGA; not VGA > HDMI.