PDA

View Full Version : Dropbox , Onedrive or GoogleDrive

20-06-2018, 03:17 PM
For a single business user , single laptop
Dropbox , Onedrive or GoogleDrive ?

Im not that impressed with Onedrive , and know of plenty of people using Dropbox & happy with it

User in question has decided he wants Onedrive re-installed (was removed as was causing issues/not syncing , cant remember exact issue)
They have a backup to USB HD , cloud sync will just be piece of mind for them
I know dropbox still works nicely if you make MyDocs the default folder

any thoughts or recommendations ?
Cheers

dugimodo
20-06-2018, 03:57 PM
I use all 3 a bit, couldn't say one of them was any better than the others.
my phone saves photos to google drive, my KeePass password manager uses dropbox across android and windows, and on windows I use onedrive to sync some files across machines.

The only gripe I can think off is google drive is a bit awkward to access from a PC compared to the other two that just integrate into windows explorer.

20-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Im having a play with google drive

I really like the ability to manually pick ANY folder to add. The other 2 options really need that.
So you would just add mydocs & Desktop etc to the sync.
And google drive has the option to exclude files by extention , eg PST/OST , that option is a bit buggy but works with some fiddling around.

No need for a separate Onedrive/dropbox folder.
That just adds to confusion : having to drag files into the ondrive/dropbox folder seems like they didnt integrate it properly (for me) .
Google drive syncs folders that you choose, so its 100% integrated in windows . Right click a folder can it it to the sync.

How reliably Google drive works in real life use with a lot of files is another question.
Me Syncing a few files on a test PC is real world use :)

dugimodo
20-06-2018, 05:01 PM
It occurs to me there's probably a googledrive app/program you've installed and I'm just accessing it through a browser so a totally different experience. I don't actually want my google drive files on my PC, just a way to access the cloud.

I was syncing my cloud drives to my NAS but it caused stability issues so I stopped. It was kinda cool to take a photo with my phone and have it be on the NAS when I got home though.

20-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I installed the googledrive app to test it out. It works more like a true sync app than the other 2.
That app seems to have the best options of the 3 (so far) .

The crunch is allways when the sync gets screwed up , and sync simply stops .
cough cough the old 'offline files' in Win.
So needs to be reliable long term.

wainuitech
20-06-2018, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I installed the googledrive app to test it out. It works more like a true sync app than the other 2.
That app seems to have the best options of the 3 (so far) .

So needs to be reliable long term. Its NOT.

One thing with Google drive that makes it dangerous, esp if using as a backup is if you delete something from the computer or directly from google drive on line it does the same at the other end.

Meaning say you have a important document in the PC thats being synced to online/google drive, and by mistake delete it, it deletes as well online. so both copies are now gone.

Just looked in the settings and there's no option to enable one way sync only.

One Drive has an option called MultCloud, theres free and paid versions, this allows you to sync one or more onedrive accounts with various options

wainuitech
20-06-2018, 09:40 PM
Add to above:

It works on one drive as thats what I use, it says it works on other cloud based but never tried it.

Ofthesea
20-06-2018, 10:13 PM
Up until recently Google drive worked in Windows file explorer but that has changed unless you opt for the pro version, it's now accessed via browser. I would rate it and Dropbox the most reliable for doing what they say they do (note wainuitech comment). OneDrive years ago and again a few weeks back totally lost a cloud folder, no trace, nothing, just gone. Personally I don't trust Onedrive.
If you have separate backup software then you may have access to folder sync options across multiple devices if thats desirable

dugimodo
20-06-2018, 10:41 PM
Onedrive has saved me some work a few times. I use onedrive to work in and then move the completed files to a network drive which other people access. A couple of times they have mysteriously disappeared and nobody wants to own up to how.
Anyway because I moved the files they don't appear in windows recycle bin and they also get deleted from onedrive as it syncs, so screwed right? no. If you log into onedrive online and access the recycle bin there they all are waiting to be recovered.
So even though they are synced and get deleted from both locations the online recycle bin has a copy even though the local one doesn't.

21-06-2018, 10:10 AM
Its NOT.

One thing with Google drive that makes it dangerous, esp if using as a backup is if you delete something from the computer or directly from google drive on line it does the same at the other end.

Meaning say you have a important document in the PC thats being synced to online/google drive, and by mistake delete it, it deletes as well online. so both copies are now gone.

there is the rollback option in the cloud storage . So deleted or changed files can be recovered (for a limited time)
With google drives new app (Backup & sync) also there is a 1 way sync option, so cloud changes wont sync back to the PC. It works but spits out error messages & vice versa would have been better .

I'm viewing cloud sync only as additional to a backup .

mzee
22-06-2018, 08:16 PM
I use Google drive, and originally had my main computer synced to it. I stopped doing this for several reasons:-
1] Had problems with duplicates.
2] File deletions were automatically done in the cloud.
3] I was worried that if I got a ransomware attack it would automatically infect Google drive.
4] I had to disable it when I needed full power online.
Now I just use Chrome to upload files and folders manually when they are altered.