PDA

View Full Version : Time between laying fibre and the service being available.

Webbnzl
16-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Hi

Just wondering what the experience has been for the time between getting fibre run in the street to when I can actually call up my ISP and get it installed?

Thanks!

Richard
16-06-2018, 06:04 PM
I ordered an initial inspection then connection almost straight away. Northpower were great at the cabling etc, but F*****g Chorus were a disaster in getting our phone connection set up correctly.

CliveM
16-06-2018, 06:33 PM
Hi

Just wondering what the experience has been for the time between getting fibre run in the street to when I can actually call up my ISP and get it installed?

Thanks!

It can be quite some time however you can get a good indication online simply by putting in your address and asking your prefered ISP.

piroska
16-06-2018, 07:57 PM
That is a How long is a piece of string question.

It depends on the how and where of your property, crossleases, how the current cables are run, poles vs trenches, whether they can use the existing channel, any stuff ups along the way, any permissions needed from other parties (including power cos, road people etc).

My brother had one delay already, over the pole permission, but it seems to be straightforward and he should (hopefully) be done by the end of the month.

Mine, took ages, we ended up doing 2/3s of the work ourselves.

dugimodo
16-06-2018, 10:19 PM
I don't know if they are still doing it but there was a policy to do a letterbox drop once fibre was available in an area to let customers know.
I was able to sign up a couple of weeks after all signs of work ended in my street and it took about a month after that to get connected.

bk T
16-06-2018, 11:03 PM
Mine was done fairly quickly, about a week after I signed up. The Fibre installation was rather straight forward, they came in the morning and finished at around 3:00 in the afternoon. All went smoothly as it should.

Only problem I had was the change over to VoIP for my landline -- I was without the landline for almost a week!

Nomad
17-06-2018, 05:22 PM
Hi

Thanks!

We have had fiber for a good few years now.

We saw the guys laying the fiber on the roadside. So there is quite a wait until when you can just ring your ISP up and say I want to have an installation please. We waited until our ADSL contract was over. After we rang them it probably took 2 months until the chorus guys were at our place. Initially they come a week or 2 before so they use a special machine to tunnel thru under your lawn to pipe the cable thru their cable housing tube thingy. Then it was maybe a week to actually install the ONT etc. Once that was done, the same day I had fiber working.

Chorus doesn't just drop everything and attend to your place ASAP. You're on the waiting list. There are others who need installation too.

piroska
17-06-2018, 05:27 PM
We saw the guys laying the fiber on the roadside. So there is quite a wait until when you can just ring your ISP up and say I want to have an installation please. .

Not always. Brothers was meant to be July. But the road people finished early and he got notice immediately.
His install in progress now