PDA

View Full Version : Setting TRIM on SSD

Strommer
13-06-2018, 11:45 AM
In the Command Prompt, entering "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" gives the result "NTFS DisableDelteNotify = 0 (Disabled)"
but this does not make sense since apparently the " = 0 " means everything is all right and TRIM is enabled.

I have used this website (https://hetmanrecovery.com/recovery_news/how-to-check-trim-operability-and-enable-it-if-necessary.htm) as a guide.

How do I enable TRIM on my SSD? It is a Crucial MX500, 250 Gb. Or is it not necessary to enable TRIM?

Thanks

wratterus
13-06-2018, 12:11 PM
You don't need to worry.

Throw on Crucial Storage Executive which will give you drive stats and health, and let you update the firmware if there is a new version available.

dugimodo
13-06-2018, 12:52 PM
It's enabled by default on windows 8, 10, and the latest Linux versions if you install the OS onto the SSD. If you clone the drive from a hdd it pays to check just in case the OS doesn't notice the change but it'll likely activate itself there too.
Check that Defrag is disabled while you're at it.

Strommer
13-06-2018, 01:45 PM
You don't need to worry.

Throw on Crucial Storage Executive which will give you drive stats and health, and let you update the firmware if there is a new version available.

Yes, sorry I forgot mention that I have Crucial Storage Executive; no new updates available so all OK with that. It is not the firmware update that I am questioning but the TRIM being enabled.

Strommer
13-06-2018, 01:49 PM
It's enabled by default on windows 8, 10, and the latest Linux versions if you install the OS onto the SSD. If you clone the drive from a hdd it pays to check just in case the OS doesn't notice the change but it'll likely activate itself there too.
Check that Defrag is disabled while you're at it.

Well I did clone Win10 from the old spin disk HD to the SSD. From my original post: In the Command Prompt, entering "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" gives the result "NTFS DisableDelteNotify = 0 (Disabled)"
but this does not make sense since apparently the " = 0 " means everything is all right and TRIM is enabled. What is confusing to me is that the " = 0 " should indicate that TRIM is enabled but it has "(Disabled)"

dugimodo
13-06-2018, 02:51 PM
I've never dabbled with the command line for SSDs, my SSD is a Samsung and the magician software let's me know everything is set correctly.
Does Crucials software not do that?

Did you try the trimcheck utility mentioned on the page you linked? I see why you are confused, it'd be nice if that (disabled) text wasn't there or they showed in on the screenshots for the guide so you knew it was normal. All I found googling it was another site with the same instructions and screenshots and they don't show any text after the number on any of them.

The only other thing I can think to ask is what mode is the BIOS set to for the SSD ? Trim requires AHCI or RAID mode I believe. Be aware you can't simply change it or windows may not boot.

Strommer
13-06-2018, 03:53 PM
The only other thing I can think to ask is what mode is the BIOS set to for the SSD ? Trim requires AHCI or RAID mode I believe. Be aware you can't simply change it or windows may not boot.

Aha! You found the problem. The BIOS is set for IDE mode. I would like to set it for AHCI mode (the Crucial software tool advises this) but I did read that Windows may then not boot so I am not sure how to go about changing over to AHCI.

wratterus
13-06-2018, 04:05 PM
Storage Executive should have told you you were in IDE mode. (I now see you mentioned that - I shouldn't have assumed that it said things were all good earlier sorry).
You're missing out on half the SSD's performance too!

Assuming you're running windows 10, all you should need to do is fire up MSCONFIG and choose 'Safe boot - Minimal' then reboot the computer, go straight into the BIOS, change to AHCI, then let it boot in safe mode, in MSCONFIG change back to normal boot and reboot.

if you get a BSOD on boot, don't panic, change back to IDE mode and there is a registry file that needs to be edited. Generally you don't need to so this with Windows 10 though.

In that pic, (this is a MX500 on a SATA3 connection) left hand is IDE mode, right hand is AHCI. Significant difference.

14-06-2018, 10:22 AM
Trim doesnt require AHCI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)

wratterus
14-06-2018, 03:43 PM
You end up trying to change to AHCI Strommer? Regardless of TRIM it's definitely sensible to change.

Strommer
15-06-2018, 09:04 AM
You end up trying to change to AHCI Strommer? Regardless of TRIM it's definitely sensible to change.

I will change it to AHCI later today, after I get some important work done on my desktop (just in case things go wrong). Thanks for the instructions on how to safe boot minimal, but one thing I am not clear on is when I do the MSCONFIG safe boot minimal, do I need to press F8 or another key?

When I get AHCI established, I will then go for TRIM.

By the way, the question of TRIM and AHCI came because about 2 weeks ago my desktop would not boot up after one of the Windows updates. The windows logo came on, then the BSOD with the loading icon. I managed to revert to a Restore Point and Windows Image, doing this twice. Investigating the situation I discovered that TRIM was not enabled. Have since left PC on all the time as I have had to do business work and do not want to risk having to reinstall Windows if that was necessary.

I am optimistic that I can get AHCI and TRIM going and all will be well, with PF1 :thumbs: help. My trusty desktop is an AMD quad core 8 Gb RAM that I built (with PF1 guidance) over 7 years ago. I have added a small video card, have two monitors, don't do any gaming, and have USB 3.0 hardware ready to install. Windows updates have never been a problem until 2 weeks ago and unless the mobo or something else fails there is no need to get a new PC especially now that the SSD is installed plus a new (spin disk) hard drive and two other older HDs for backup.

Will post later after safe mode minimal reboot AHCI.

[Edit] A day ago apparently Windows did an update and rebooted my PC, presumably to install drivers or whatever that was preventing my PC from booting up. I will try to reboot to see if all is OK, before I do the safe mode minimal AHCI and TRIM changes.

CliveM
15-06-2018, 11:08 AM
I will change it to AHCI later today, after I get some important work done on my desktop (just in case things go wrong). Thanks for the instructions on how to safe boot minimal, but one thing I am not clear on is when I do the MSCONFIG safe boot minimal, do I need to press F8 or another key?

Yes you will need to press whatever key is specified to get into bios on your motherboard when it reboots. If you do not it will just go straight into windows safe mode.

wratterus
15-06-2018, 11:20 AM
Yeah, when you set safe boot minimal in MSCONFIG, when you restart the PC will boot itself up in safe mode - you don't need to press F8 or anything like in the good old days. You just need to catch it before it boots up and go into the BIOS to change to AHCI, save and exit the BIOS, then the PC will boot in safe mode.

If it does BSOD, don't panic. just go back into BIOS, change back to IDE mode, then let it boot back up, and there is a reg file that will need to be edited.

Strommer
16-06-2018, 03:39 PM
If it does BSOD, don't panic. just go back into BIOS, change back to IDE mode, then let it boot back up, and there is a reg file that will need to be edited.

Unfortunately after setting AHCI in the BIOS, I got the BSOD (actually black screen, no video nothing on screen). I rebooted, changed back from AHCI to IDE, booted (it went into Safe Mode), used MSCONFIG to change out of 'Safe boot - minimal', and here I am back where I started.

What is the reg file that needs to be edited, in order to get AHCI (and then TRIM)?

By the way, FWIW, under System Config > General ... the Selective Startup tab is automatically ticked (along with sub items 'Load system services' and ' Load startup items'. In other words, when I choose 'Normal startup' (and not 'Selective startup), when I go back and check it the 'Selective Startup' is ticked, so for some reason the 'Normal Startup' cannot be done.

Strommer
16-06-2018, 07:10 PM
Found this, what do you think watterus? https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/enable-sata-ahci-mode-in-bios-on-windows-10.html

wratterus
18-06-2018, 10:18 AM
It really should have worked - that's a little odd. I expect you don't have an Intel storage controller? Some of the AMD ones are a bit hit and miss. There is a little risk involved here - I've never had any issues, but do bear that in mind.

If you want to continue, do the same procedure as before with the safe boot/minimal, but before rebooting change the value of the '0' DWORD in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\storahci\StartOverride to 0 (it should be 3 currently?)

Strommer
18-06-2018, 11:15 AM
It really should have worked - that's a little odd. I expect you don't have an Intel storage controller? Some of the AMD ones are a bit hit and miss. There is a little risk involved here - I've never had any issues, but do bear that in mind.

If you want to continue, do the same procedure as before with the safe boot/minimal, but before rebooting change the value of the '0' DWORD in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\storahci\StartOverride to 0 (it should be 3 currently?)

I have no idea if there is an Intel Storage Controller and after googling I don't know how to check it. Anyhow thanks for the info about changing the value of the '0' word - I will try this sometime later but for now I am pleased that my desktop wakes from sleep OK and reboots OK. Even though the SSD is not running optimally it is far better than the old disk hd especially boot up time.

[EDIT] - There are 3 methods to try from the link I posted above, so I may try these. Link again; https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/enable-sata-ahci-mode-in-bios-on-windows-10.html

wratterus
18-06-2018, 12:03 PM
I think the IASTOR is specific to the Intel chipset? I may be wrong on that.

You can generally just check in Device Manager - like the attached image.

Strommer
18-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Thanks again Watterus. Looks like there is not an Intel Storage Controller on my PC:

wratterus
18-06-2018, 12:52 PM
I thought of one other thing that might be worth trying - what is the brand/model of your mainboard?

Strommer
18-06-2018, 02:14 PM
I thought of one other thing that might be worth trying - what is the brand/model of your mainboard?

ASUS M4A88TD-M

wratterus
18-06-2018, 03:33 PM
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/AMD_Chipset_V13254_51010008_XPVISTAWIN7.zip

Be interesting to see if that would install.

Strommer
18-06-2018, 05:59 PM
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/AMD_Chipset_V13254_51010008_XPVISTAWIN7.zip

Be interesting to see if that would install.

Is there a special method to install that AMD chipset file, or just unzip and install like anything else?

wratterus
19-06-2018, 12:53 PM
Yep just standard install. It may error on you.