PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted ads

Roscoe
10-06-2018, 05:24 PM
Unwanted ads are appearing on my PC in the shape of a small oblong in the bottom right of the screen. They advertise various things, the latest being "PUBG vs Fortnite Which is you favourite?" with the website en.softonic.com noted on the bottom.

I have never visited softonic before these ads started so I do not know how they obtained my email address.

My question is: how do I stop these ads?:annoyed:

Your help is appreciated.

wainuitech
10-06-2018, 06:32 PM
Sounds like something may have installed that is linked to softonic (usually if "use default" install) You can try running some ad blockers, or looking at what was installed lately.
My personal favorite for browsers is uBlock Origin, It's similar to ad-Block, while it doesn't stop all ads, cant remember the last time I got a popup on any site ;)

Just went onto stuff.co.nz Blocked 30 requests

Normal usage you only see the Number (30 in this case) in the heart top right.

Some sites complain you are using an ad blocker and request you disable it to continue.

Driftwood
10-06-2018, 07:08 PM
Some sites complain you are using an ad blocker and request you disable it to continue.[/QUOTE]

I love that bit.
How dare you disable their ads.

linw
11-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Ghostery works very well, also.

11-06-2018, 12:37 PM
fix the cause, not the symptoms :)

Reset Internet (in control panel) , reset chrome & Firefox
Install & run malwarebytes . Disable any other AV when malwarebytes is scanning .
Uninstall malwarebytes when finished

Richard
11-06-2018, 03:18 PM
fix the cause, not the symptoms :)

Reset Internet (in control panel) , reset chrome & Firefox
Install & run malwarebytes . Disable any other AV when malwarebytes is scanning .
Uninstall malwarebytes when finished

Why uninstall Malwarebytes?

Roscoe
12-06-2018, 08:23 AM
Sounds like something may have installed that is linked to softonic (usually if "use default" install) You can try running some ad blockers, or looking at what was installed lately.
My personal favorite for browsers is uBlock Origin, It's similar to ad-Block, while it doesn't stop all ads, cant remember the last time I got a popup on any site ;)

Just went onto stuff.co.nz Blocked 30 requests

Normal usage you only see the Number (30 in this case) in the heart top right.

Some sites complain you are using an ad blocker and request you disable it to continue.

Thank you, Wainui. I have downloaded ublock Origin so I will see how that goes. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks to the rest of you for your suggestions.

MikeLowrance
14-06-2018, 02:10 AM
Does somebody know additional soft to this extensions, I mean Ublock and AdBlock? I don't want to see any advertising, is it real?

zqwerty
14-06-2018, 12:43 PM
Use Stylish extension and install Adblocking FiltersetP by BigBen if you are using Firefox

bevy121
14-06-2018, 01:38 PM
Well I use firefox and only use Ghostery - and I don't see adds at all

gary67
14-06-2018, 07:38 PM
I just use Ublock have done for about 3 years and don't see any either

SurferJoe46
18-06-2018, 04:49 PM
<snip> Which is you favourite?"

<snippity, snip>

Your help is appreciated.

Boy --- with spelling errors like that it can't come from the US.

I suspect Canada though.

bevy121
22-06-2018, 01:05 PM
what spelling error?

we don't live in the US....

gary67
22-06-2018, 05:45 PM
what spelling error?

we don't live in the US....

True leaving letters out is a sign of the times though unfortunately, its not just the Americans who cannot spell words properly.