PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 with eMMc flash drive

mzee
06-06-2018, 12:02 AM
Sister in law was given a laptop with an eMMc flash drive and Windows 10. She hates W10, and wants W7 which she had on her expired laptop.
Does anyone know if W7 Ultimate 64 bit will work on an eMMc flash drive?
I may use Mint 18.3 instead as it is simple, reliable and practically maintenance free.

dugimodo
06-06-2018, 09:52 AM
There are more problems than eMMc, there is no official support for windows 7 with modern processors and unless the laptop manufacturer has made windows 7 drivers available then it's unlikely you will find them for the mainboard and system devices.
Face it MS are moving to windows 10, there is no development for windows 7 any more. Linux MINT is certainly an option if it does what you want - assuming your sister in law shares your preferences. I think it's only fair to point out that if you find a version of Linux that was released at the same time windows 7 was then it won't be likely to work on that modern laptop either - just saying.

But personally I don't share the hate for windows 10 so it's a little hard to understand going to such lengths to avoid it. So the menu looks different, so what? I'd suggest sticking with it for a few weeks and saving the effort, she may just forget to hate it after a while.

wainuitech
06-06-2018, 10:03 AM
Just adding to Dugimodo's Post. Its not just W7 either. Windows 8 -8.1 has problems with modern Processors.

Had a job earlier this year had to replace a motherboard/CPU/Memory The W8.1 OS was popping up messages saying please upgrade to a newer OS CPU not supported.

Unsupported hardware
Your PC uses a processor that is designed for the latest version of Windows. Because the processor is not supported together with the Windows version that you are currently using, your system will miss important security updates.

Its NOT the OS that's causing the problem as it ran fine on the original hardware (before it blew the board) its the CPU / Hardware Manufactures. (this sort of thing has been happening for years anyway) There are work arounds but that can also be a problem if the Motherboard BIOS Settings aren't there to alter. ;)

Jedsdad
06-06-2018, 11:37 AM
I dont like W10 either, so have been using Classic Shell for a long time now.
It looks just like Windows 7

Copy this URL into your browser and download and install Classic Shell
http://www.classicshell.net/

I tried to also upload the Menu Settings.xml file that I use but cant

mzee
06-06-2018, 11:59 AM
SIL only uses the Browser for surfing & Email, also word processing. Mint has Libre Office, and Firefox, I can install Chrome if she prefers. She won't have to worry about antivirus etc, and it is fast. I will make a backup of the original W10 just incase she changes her mind!

piroska
06-06-2018, 12:17 PM
laptop with an eMMc flash drive.

Try it.
Can't hurt.

Support comments, are meaningless really. Support what? Commons sense does more to keep you safe.
Mint works well, so far no hassles with any hardware at all....

06-06-2018, 12:32 PM
She hates W10, and wants W7 which she had on her expired laptop.

She possibly just doesnt want change . Some people just want to complain (thats OK)
Win10 can be easily setup to be near enough to Win7 for the basics like Word email & web surfing.
Just put shortcuts on the Desktop & taskbar. What could be easier .

It may be that her new laptop is a cheap & nasty underpowered POS, that may be 100% the cause of of dislike for 10. Some years back, my mother bought a cheap & nasty laptop , ran like a pig. Specwise it was a pig, it wasnt the OS.

Given how resistant some are to change, any change, putting on Linux may be a mistake .
She may not be happy changing OS to 10 or Lin. Put Lin on & You'll be tech support from now on for any little thing. You'll get bad-mouthed if she isnt 100% happy.

Sometimes you just have to know when to walk away. This may be a no win situation .
If she doesnt want Win10, suggest to her she buys a Mac :)

" given a laptop with an eMMc flash drive"
given a laptop ?. is there more to the story. :)
Is it so bad/slow the previous owner gave up on it, is it 100% stable ? is it cheap & nasty ?
is it a work supplied laptop ?

linw
06-06-2018, 04:43 PM
Well put, 1101.

wainuitech
06-06-2018, 06:06 PM
Sister in law was given a laptop with an eMMc flash drive and Windows 10. She hates W10, and wants W7 which she had on her expired laptop.
Does anyone know if W7 Ultimate 64 bit will work on an eMMc flash drive?

You more than likely will have problems with W7.
To quote intel Forums.

Quite simply, Windows 7 does not have support for eMMC devices and there is no add-on driver that you can download. So unless you can somehow find a driver you may be SOL.

Linux may install OK, but who knows.

Many people who say they hate Windows 10 cant actually say why. I've setup hundreds of W10's and a high % of the time people who are used to W7 dont even know the differance.

To quote 1101:

Win10 can be easily setup to be near enough to Win7 for the basics like Word email & web surfing.
Just put shortcuts on the Desktop & taskbar. What could be easier .

If I installed a W7 here,and posted the desktop With Icons ( excluding the taskbar) I bet anything you like you couldn't tell if it were W7 or W10. Looking at the current desktop ( taskbar excluded) EVERY default icon is changed, this can be done in W7 & W10.

B.M.
06-06-2018, 09:10 PM
SIL only uses the Browser for surfing & Email, also word processing. Mint has Libre Office, and Firefox, I can install Chrome if she prefers. She won't have to worry about antivirus etc, and it is fast. I will make a backup of the original W10 just incase she changes her mind!

My understanding is that Mint will work just fine for the use you have described.

Good luck and let's know the outcome.

mzee
08-06-2018, 04:41 PM
I tried to install Windows 7 Ultimate but couldn't find a driver for the eMMc drive. Have installed Mint 18.3 which is reliable, simple, and almost maintenance free. SIL is now happy- a rare occurrence :)

wainuitech
08-06-2018, 04:45 PM
I tried to install Windows 7 Ultimate but couldn't find a driver for the eMMc drive. Yep told ya that in post #9 ;)

mzee
09-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Still had to try :)