PDA

View Full Version : Getting wifi to an outside room

Neil McC
04-06-2018, 10:06 AM
My friend's son is now outside in a cabin/bedroom about 30m from house.If they move the wifi extender to near the back door then he can do his homework,but they need to move it to another place for the other boy to receive wifi as well.
I've run a cable from their router to the cabin,so he can do his gaming.Is there a device that we can plug into the router feed in the cabin so he can get wifi in his cabin!
Thanks.

chiefnz
04-06-2018, 11:55 AM
So I assume the cable you've run plugs into your modem/router which provides Internet access? If so just replace the router at his end with a router that has Wi-Fi? That way he plug his Gaming machine into the router for wired Ethernet and then uses the Wi-Fi for his laptop. This would also mean the Wi-Fi is extended from the cabin. You can configure the Wi-Fi in the Cabin with exactly the same SSID/passcode so when devices move from the main house to the cabin area, they will continue to have connectivity.

Hope that helps a bit.

dugimodo
04-06-2018, 12:30 PM
If he has a cable why does he need wi-fi ? Wi-fi should always been the second choice.
Anyway that's what a wireless access point is for, here's a cheap example https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NETTPL0801/TP-LINK-TL-WA801ND-300Mbps-Wireless-N-Access-Point
You may need a switch as well if you still want an ethernet connection for his PC.

Driftwood
04-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Got to have the WiFi for the mobile.

Neil McC
05-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Got to have the WiFi for the mobile.

Correct Driftwood,for his laptop and phone.
Thanks chiefnz.I thought you couldn't plug another router into an existing one.He doesn't have a router in the cabin,just a plug in connection which goes back to the house router which has Wi-Fi.

wainuitech
05-06-2018, 09:58 AM
Correct Driftwood,for his laptop and phone.
Thanks chiefnz.I thought you couldn't plug another router into an existing one.He doesn't have a router in the cabin,just a plug in connection which goes back to the house router which has Wi-Fi. You can use a Second Router as a access / Wireless point, BUT you have to disable the DHCP in it. The original router will handle that. You may need to change the IP range on the second router to match the first. Basically changing it into a Switch with Wireless.

Depending on the second router, some have a wizard that you run and it will automatically change he settings to suit, others you have to manually change them.

Neil McC
05-06-2018, 12:58 PM
Thanks wainuitech.

John H
05-06-2018, 02:01 PM
In another thread Wainui, you gave me instructions (or a link to same) to use a surplus router as a wireless access point. I can't find the instructions now, but they worked. Maybe you could re-post them?

CliveM
05-06-2018, 02:34 PM
This guy explains it well. https://youtu.be/J5QJb3O19zI

wainuitech
05-06-2018, 06:31 PM
This guy explains it well. https://youtu.be/J5QJb3O19zI That's one of the better ones, explains it nicely :thumbs:

I do totally agree with the comments near the end relating to changing the SSID's to different names, as well as the Channel numbers. Seen it many times exactly how he explains it, the devices wont always pick up the strongest signals, as well as slowness due to overlapping channel numbers.

mzee
05-06-2018, 08:02 PM
How about using a pair of mains adaptors to take the broadband to the cabin? If his laptop does not have an Ethernet socket he could use a USB adaptor.