PDA

View Full Version : Teamviewer and commercial usage

apsattv
02-06-2018, 06:13 PM
So I like many use Teamviewer (free license) for remoting to various family pc's for repairs etc.

But since today its now accusing me of being on a business network and saying i need license.

I'm definetly using it for personal usage. Has anyone struck this before? and what is the solution?

is there good free alternative thats easy for the user at the other end to install? or can i do a clean uninstall and reinstall a fresh copy?

gary67
02-06-2018, 07:12 PM
What operating systems are in use on the various computers

Johny C
02-06-2018, 07:40 PM
Ive used TightVNC for years and never had trouble with it and its free. Only problem is you need to port forward it in your modem.

wainuitech
02-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Have seen this happen, last time it was because it exceeded the number of connections coming from the Same IP address, it was either 5 from memory.

If its Windows 10 you can use the inbuilt Remote. (Both Home and Pro) Completely Free for Personal or Business.

All you do is in search type in "Quick" (without the "" ) Open Quick Assist - If you are the one GIVEING support, select Give Assistance. The person at the other end clicks the other, Get Assistance. You sign in, ( see below #1) then on the phone give them the 6 Digit number -- They click Summit connect, A message pops up saying (your Name is trying to connect) accept and your in.

The code HAS to be entered by the person GETTING Assistance within 10 Minutes other wise it expires, and has to be regenerated. Once its closed off a new code is required. ( see#3 Below)

Once connected it stays on till you or the other person closes it, I've had connections going for several hours and they work fine. They can see everything you do. and vise versa (in case of demonstrate the problem)

The only "disadvantages are.
1. You need a MS account ( free, any MS / outlook.com account will do)
2. No File Transfer ( yet)
3 .Cant run leave a Computer unattended and log in when ever you like.

Personally have not used team Viewer to help anyone for ages, the ONLY time its used is when accessing the Media Center which is across the room, even then its set to LAN only.

apsattv
02-06-2018, 07:51 PM
it looks like i'm not the only one
https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-General/TeamViewer-thinks-I-m-using-the-software-commercially/td-p/8284/page/13

linw
02-06-2018, 11:29 PM
Oh, darn. Haven't used it for a while but I have used it for years spasmodically. Scared to try it now!

Has there been a response from TV anyone know?

Never used that win 10 method, WT, but it looks like an alternative I should try. But, like you say, the windows account may be a problem.

psycik
03-06-2018, 02:06 AM
Theres a form to submit to say youre just using it privately. Just do that. I did it for a work laptop on a work connection, but i was acessing home. No problems

Jedsdad
03-06-2018, 08:44 AM
2 minutes research and I came up with this (see link below) Ain't Google great?
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/pricing/commercial-use/ (Copy and Paste into your Browser)

Within that web page there is also a link to their "Knowledge base" and also a link "Commercial-use Form" where you can complete a form and include your Team Viewer Log.

We all know that there are many people out there who are using TeamViewer for Gain or Profit so they have set certain criteria to catch out those people or businesses.

It is good of TeamViewer to actually allow for personal use, many companies would charge for the same service

wainuitech
03-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Never used that win 10 method, WT, but it looks like an alternative I should try. But, like you say, the windows account may be a problem. Its not really a problem. Many people have Microsoft email / Office 365 accounts, you just use any those.

Just tried my gmail account as well, and they will let you use that, you just need to confirm via an email first.

TeamViewer, is no different really, the connections are running through their servers so they can see whats being used.

When you run TeamViewer, you are assigned an ID on their broker server. You make a connection to a Teamviewer ID, and TeamViewer passes the connection down through the TeamViewer client's established tunnel to the destination and you then you are prompted for password and then the connection establishes afterwards.

It is good of TeamViewer to actually allow for personal use, many companies would charge for the same service That "may" also come to a close one day ( just sayin).

Logme in used to have a free version, but the scammers ruined it over time as it was the remote of choice, theyare now using TV. Logmein decided to stop the free versions as it was making them look bad, so expect TV to do the same if the scammers keep using their software.

apsattv
03-06-2018, 05:59 PM
I cleaned out my i.ds list and deleted the .log files in the teamviewer folder, not sure if that did the trick but its working fine today. But friends copy on their mac is still having issues.

linw
03-06-2018, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the tip - not sure whether I need it yet, though!

apsattv
04-06-2018, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the tip - not sure whether I need it yet, though!

I also cleaned out in the teamviewer on the remote pc in the program folder a connections.txt file which had a log of connections going back to 2016.

There is a banner that pops up when connecting to the remote machine something about commercial usage, but it does continue to work as it use to.

linw
04-06-2018, 07:57 PM
Cheers.

05-06-2018, 11:05 AM
Seen this quite often. (I do have a TV lic I use)

TV's developers arent stupid, its not something easily bypassed . Deleting TV logs & re-installing wont help :)
You'd need to change the Network cards Mac adress , and some other things

You'll soon find it dumps the connection after 5minutes

apsattv
06-06-2018, 03:03 AM
Yeah, im aware of the "fix" for it , however the main machine i connect to still works fine, but a couple of others just dc after 1 to 5 minutes. What a joke.

I'm now testing out cloudberry remote assistant........