PDA

View Full Version : Why is the sound not working on my old PC?

Tony
31-05-2018, 02:58 PM
My old and arthritic just-for-testing PC refuses to produce any sound. Nothing, nada, zilch. No system sounds, nothing from youtube (e.g.), nothing from a cd/dvd. It is definitely not the speakers as I have also tried plugging in a headset that I know works and still nothing.
It is an ASUS M2N MX mobo (I said it was old.) I'm using the onboard audio. The only setting I can see on the mobo is if I want to add a front connector. In the BIOS the only setting I can see is in the southbridge config where I disable/auto AZALIA vs AC97.

This is not a major because as I said it is only a messing around machine these days - I'd just like to know what is going on. It is certainly not a big enough deal to spring for a sound card. It is running Win10 but the problem also shows if I boot up the multi-booted XP (I said it was old).

TIA

dugimodo
31-05-2018, 03:37 PM
On some old boards the onboard front panel audio connector needed a couple of links installed if you weren't connecting it as the 3.5mm jacks included a switch to disconnect the speakers when headphones were plugged in.

dugimodo
31-05-2018, 03:58 PM
Scanned through the manual, that doesn't look like the case. Might be worth checking the setting for front panel audio is set to HD audio rather than AC97, or if it's plugged in make sure the setting matches the connector type.
Manual is here if you don't have it https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2NMX/HelpDesk_Manual/

piroska
31-05-2018, 05:24 PM
Scanned through the manual, that doesn't look like the case. Might be worth checking the setting for front panel audio is set to HD audio rather than AC97, ]

And see if the driver is happy in Device Manager.

Failing all that, it's dead.
Put a cheap sound card in it.

Tony
31-05-2018, 05:34 PM
Scanned through the manual, that doesn't look like the case. Might be worth checking the setting for front panel audio is set to HD audio rather than AC97, or if it's plugged in make sure the setting matches the connector type.
Manual is here if you don't have it https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2NMX/HelpDesk_Manual/

The front panel audio setting was HD audio (not working), so I changed it to AC97 (also not working).

Piroska, I think you are probably right, it is dead. As I said in my original Post, it is not a big enough deal to actually pay for a sound card, but I may end up doing that if I have to.

wainuitech
31-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Dumb question -- Not muted on the keyboard by some chance - It does happen :D

Tony
31-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Dumb question -- Not muted on the keyboard by some chance - It does happen :D

Perfectly good question, but unfortunately not the answer. That keyboard doesn't have a mute button, and anyway it shows up in the notification area as the speaker with a cross by it if it is muted. Just to be sure I muted it with the mouse and it showed that icon.

Ofthesea
31-05-2018, 09:48 PM
I seem to get this now and then after a Win 10 version update. The PC thinks it has a sound device that doesn't exist and I have to select "Sounds" then the Realtek speakers in my case.

Tony
01-06-2018, 07:28 AM
I seem to get this now and then after a Win 10 version update. The PC thinks it has a sound device that doesn't exist and I have to select "Sounds" then the Realtek speakers in my case.

Reasonable thought, but I have the problem with WinXP as well, multibooted on that machine (as I said in my original post).

piroska
01-06-2018, 08:48 AM
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?sort_order=buynow_asc&searchString=pci&type=Search&searchType=177&user_region=100&user_district=0&generalSearch_keypresses=3&generalSearch_suggested=0&generalSearch_suggestedCategory=&rsqid=a4ff877cf53744d9be7a088a26e0a615

dugimodo
01-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Alternatively https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/SEVOEM8599/Generic-3D-Sound-51-USB-external-Sound-Card-for-la

Tony
01-06-2018, 12:39 PM
Not sure if I want an external device with a usb connection.

Tony
01-06-2018, 12:40 PM
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?sort_order=buynow_asc&searchString=pci&type=Search&searchType=177&user_region=100&user_district=0&generalSearch_keypresses=3&generalSearch_suggested=0&generalSearch_suggestedCategory=&rsqid=a4ff877cf53744d9be7a088a26e0a615

I admit I haven't looked on trademe. I just did and there could be some possibilities there.

piroska
01-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Alternatively www.pbtech.co.nz

https://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/297771-Experiences-with-Online-Retailers

**1/2 (2.5 stars)

Expert Infotech (www.einfo.co.nz)
Smart PC (www.smartpc.co.nz/)
ExtremePC (www.extremepc.co.nz)
Global PC (http://www.globalpc.co.nz/)
PB Tech (www.pbtech.co.nz)

** (2 stars):

These stores are generally unrecommended. They are at times problematic when it comes to RMA services taking very long. It is relatively rare for these stores, but they sometimes try to sell off 2nd hand goods as new.

Yep. PB have always had bad after sales service. Every time I have dealt with them it has been that way.

Last time, in a hurry, I went to get a DVI apdater....specific connector, he took the wrong one of shelf and when I said no, I need X one, insisted it was correct and then walked off saying, haven't got time for this.

I went over to the techs and they looked astonished and fetched the right one.

The very first time I ever bought (first ever shop in Ellerslie) it got all the way to a Disputes hearing date before they found their english again and agreed to replace the item.

Yep, never changes with them.

Tony
01-06-2018, 03:30 PM
https://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/297771-Experiences-with-Online-Retailers

**1/2 (2.5 stars)

Expert Infotech (www.einfo.co.nz)
Smart PC (www.smartpc.co.nz/)
ExtremePC (www.extremepc.co.nz)
Global PC (http://www.globalpc.co.nz/)
PB Tech (www.pbtech.co.nz)

** (2 stars):

These stores are generally unrecommended. They are at times problematic when it comes to RMA services taking very long. It is relatively rare for these stores, but they sometimes try to sell off 2nd hand goods as new.

Yep. PB have always had bad after sales service. Every time I have dealt with them it has been that way.

Last time, in a hurry, I went to get a DVI apdater....specific connector, he took the wrong one of shelf and when I said no, I need X one, insisted it was correct and then walked off saying, haven't got time for this.

I went over to the techs and they looked astonished and fetched the right one.

The very first time I ever bought (first ever shop in Ellerslie) it got all the way to a Disputes hearing date before they found their english again and agreed to replace the item.

Yep, never changes with them.

Interesting dataset. My own experience with PBTech hasn't been like that. I've found them generally helpful, although I haven't had to return anything. These days I go to the Henderson shop, but I found the Penrose warehouse branch to be OK too.

dugimodo
01-06-2018, 03:59 PM
I've never had a problem with the Hamilton branch of PBtech, maybe it depends which store you use.
Also Hamilton used to be a bit independent, had their own website and different pricing. That changed a few years ago though for whatever reason.

CliveM
01-06-2018, 08:29 PM
I've never had a problem with the Hamilton branch of PBtech, maybe it depends which store you use.
Also Hamilton used to be a bit independent, had their own website and different pricing. That changed a few years ago though for whatever reason.

And I have had nothing but good service from the Manukau Branch of PB Tech.

Tony
01-06-2018, 09:37 PM
And I have had nothing but good service from the Manukau Branch of PB Tech.

This digression is all interesting, but getting a bit OT from my original question.

Just sayin...

wainuitech
01-06-2018, 10:55 PM
This digression is all interesting, but getting a bit OT from my original question.

Just sayin... Yeah been watch this thread -- you mentioned you don't want to buy a sound card ;)

I'd just like to know what is going on. It is certainly not a big enough deal to spring for a sound card.

Theres a couple of things you can try, have read of these - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026994/windows-fix-sound-problems

You can also rip out the sound drivers, or roll them back if the option is available, sometimes that works.

One other test (did this on a customers PC) boot the PC from a Linux CD, see if the sound works. If the motherboard has really lost its Audio and not a software related problem then of course you decide if you want to buy a sound card. In Her case the Motherboard had lost its Audio, and she used a cheap Sound Card.

May even have a couple of old ones laying around here you could have, just pay postage :D Of course have to find them in my tidy workshop. :rolleyes:

Kame
02-06-2018, 04:01 AM
How are you connecting the sound, the rear ports or the front panel?

Also, I can't see if you confirmed if the sound controller is detected in device manager. This is vital, as both OS may not be detecting it (hardware fault), or it is detected but still nothing (software fault).

If it is detected, then I would say due to the 'smart' methods of HD, that the issue lies with 'presense' or 'jacksense' where it has the ability to incorrectly say something is plugged into a port, when physically there's not. Normally it will try to output to this bad detected device that isn't present. Not sure if windows gives you control in changing this.

Unfortunately changing the bios to use HD or AC97 maybe ineffective due to the drivers installed are probably only the HD version.

You could, change it to AC97 but would also need to install AC97 drivers. AC97 does not have this 'smart' sensing.

Otherwise, you maybe able to disconnect the front panel connector from the motherboard (may or may not fix it), since this is normally the issue and just use rear ports. if the rear port hasn't been damaged. It needs to be disconnected since it is normally the culprit that ends up directing your sound to the abyss.

I'm not sure if you can see the sound chip, it's normally tucked away with your rear ports, so you may just need to inspect around it to make sure its still firmly connected to the motherboard or where ever the chip actually is but this type of damage should confirm no sound controller in device manager.

If still no go, you probably need to look in an advance volume control, ensure things aren't muted, and if it's truly advance, it may have a sound level detection, which should fluctuate if it believes its outputting sound somewhere.

Tony
03-06-2018, 05:24 PM
Wainui, Kame, thanks for the suggestions.
As usual, it's two steps forward, one step back.

I checked the BIOS and made sure I had HD audio selected.
I booted from a Mint 17.2 CD, and BINGO! the sound worked - thanks WT for that suggestion. So we know there is not a hardware problem with the sound.
However I still can't get anything to work on Win10. I've just realized I was mistaken in an earlier post as I thought it wasn't working in WinXP either, but I now find it is.
Kame, there are no front ports on this PC, so the connector pins on the mobo are empty.

I also omitted what I hope is not a critical piece of info - the PC system in question is the latest insider version of Win 10. I just looked at the feedback hub and there seem to be quite a few posts with sound problems, so maybe I'm just one of the crowd. IOt just didn't occur to me that that might be the issue.

Anyway the whole question is now moot as the PC has started giving me a Green screen bug check when I start up, with "critical process died". This is mentioned in the release notes, so unless I can give it some sort of kick to bring it to life, I think I'm stuffed till the next build.

OT, but I knew the PC was old and slow, but had no idea how slow until I booted XP. Cold treacle is being kind. It really brought home how things have improved.

Tony
03-06-2018, 05:46 PM
Late update, the PC has now booted OK after about 4 attempts, so at least I don't have to worry about that at least for the minute.