PDA

View Full Version : password access to pc

Peter Coleman
29-05-2018, 06:02 PM
Hi guys,I have just bought a new laptop,a Lenovo Ideapad 320,and have just finished setting it up,but the only problem is I need a password to log on on startup.I had to put one in,(at least I thought I had to) as I was going through the setup,but because I am the only one who uses this laptop and because there is nothing I'm worried about anyone else seeing,how do I, or can I, change it so it just loads up without me having to put in a password in.Thanks
Peter

wainuitech
29-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Assuming its W10. From Start - Settings - Accounts:

Depending on which Version of W10- on the left look for Sign in options, what you are after is the option to Change to a local account.

When changing you'll be prompted to enter your current password. Where it asks for a new Password leave it blank, when you reboot to change the account you may need to click on Sign in once, after that it will boot/sign in without any more prompts.

BTW-- You can use a local account when setting up. The option is there, bottom left hand corner of a window, but unless you know about it and look for it its not obvious.

Poppa John
29-05-2018, 06:50 PM
Sorry to butt in. I have a password to loogin at startup, where do I look to put a pin number in instead. Thanks. PJ

wainuitech
29-05-2018, 09:26 PM
Sorry to butt in. I have a password to loogin at startup, where do I look to put a pin number in instead. Thanks. PJ Howdy PJ :)

Same place - Settings - Accounts- Sign in options - PIN.

Mines grayed out as I don't have a password in this, logs straight in ( DONT forget the PIN -- It Happens).

Screen shot is from 1803

dugimodo
29-05-2018, 11:13 PM
Another option is to run Netplwiz, just hit the start button and type it in and you should find it. From there you can untick the box to no longer require a password on login. Your account will still have a password but you'll auto login at startup.
If the PC goes to sleep or standby you still need a password though, you can disable that too like this https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-windows-10-password-prompt-on-wake (had to google it couldn't remember where it was)

This is marginally better than a blank password as some operations will still ask you for it making it a little more secure but it won't annoy you at startup. It also works with Live accounts as well as local ones so you can use whichever you prefer.

30-05-2018, 09:51 AM
FYI
a logon password DOES NOT make a laptop/PC secure from prying eyes
It only makes it a bit slower to get full access .

Win passwords are ridiculously easy to get passed.
If really paranoid, and if there are Docs that must be protected, you'll need some sort of encryption.
Or a bios level pass that also pass protects the HardDrive . (power on password)

Peter Coleman
30-05-2018, 09:19 PM
thanks for all the advice guys,all sorted

Peter