PDA

View Full Version : Skype Help

Pato
27-05-2018, 01:40 PM
Just tried to use Skype after some months but it is dead. I am running Win10 and a Logitech C625 Webcam.

Have checked in Device Manager and says it is running ok. Perhaps some of the windows automatic updates have upset things. OS build 17134.78. Any suggestions please.?

wainuitech
27-05-2018, 02:37 PM
Open task manager and turn it off. You may find you have to use the app version from the start menu, The older version has been discontinued.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34509/what-s-new-in-skype-for-windows-desktop

To test the Cam, type Cam into the search, open it, see if it picks up the camera or not.

Pato
27-05-2018, 03:37 PM
I have just uninstalled/reinstalled Skype with the latest edition and now of course I have a blank canvas. Should have saved my contacts. DUH.

I have to start from scratch now and it is a long time since I installed skype. It should be easy but nothing is happening at this stage. The old brain isn't as fast as it used to be.

rumpty
27-05-2018, 05:35 PM
Your Contacts list is held by Skype out there, I thought, not in your computer.

Pato
27-05-2018, 05:42 PM
Your Contacts list is held by Skype out there, I thought, not in your computer.Thanks. You are probably correct. I just have to get the dam thing working again.
It's not detecting my Logitech Webcam so I don't know what is going on at present.

Driftwood
27-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Did you not read post #2

Pato
27-05-2018, 08:19 PM
Did you not read post #2Of course I read ii. I always appreciate the help of wainui. Doesn't alter fact that I can still not get it to work.

Lurking
27-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Our contacts came across ok, except for the most important one ! our son's no longer there.

Notice each time W10 updates, there is always sometmhing that needs straightning out, desktop icons now take their time to refresh and W7 games always need to be re-loaded.

lurking.

rumpty
27-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Thanks. You are probably correct. I just have to get the dam thing working again.
It's not detecting my Logitech Webcam so I don't know what is going on at present.

Pato, here is what I did. Downloaded a driver for my Logitech 9000 camera from their website, (13.80), installed it, just the driver, unticked the other stuff.

But the Skype app that W10 comes with kept telling me that the camera was in use by another application, but I couldn't find anything in Task Manager. Checked here and there, rebooted, but still had the message that the camera was already in use.

Right, uninstalled W10s built in Skype, downloaded Skype Portable, the installer that is, from portableapps.com and installed that. All good, it works, sees my camera, and Skype is the familiar one with all the old setting options. 7.41.0.101. I have used the Skype portable version for years - Skype needs a bit of confining!

Pato
28-05-2018, 11:16 AM
Thanks rumpty I appreciate your help and suggestions. It is annoying because skype was working perfectly previously and stopped without any input from me.

Pato
28-05-2018, 04:58 PM
Open task manager and turn it off. You may find you have to use the app version from the start menu, The older version has been discontinued.
.Just got around to trying your suggestions but I think I may have goofed because I hit 'end task' for the Logitech entry. That's what happens when you don't know what your are doing. LOL.

Driftwood
28-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Should come back with a re-start.
I think Wainui meant turn off skype.

28-05-2018, 05:37 PM
Try this.

Install the newest Full version of Skype
https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/

webcam drivers
http://support.logitech.com/en_hk/product/hd-webcam-c525/downloads

Pato
28-05-2018, 06:06 PM
Try this.

Install the newest Full version of Skype
https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/

webcam drivers
http://support.logitech.com/en_hk/product/hd-webcam-c525/downloadsTried all that but still not detecting webcam.

wainuitech
28-05-2018, 06:48 PM
What happens if you open the Cam App ? ( from search -Cam)

This PC doesn't have a cam, so I get a black box saying cant find a camera.

John H
29-05-2018, 10:12 AM
I use a Logitech camera with Skype and it almost always causes problems as well. It works if I unplug the camera's usb cable and plug it back in again. Go figure. It could be because it goes through a docking station, but Logitech cameras and Skype have never played nicely for me even before the introduction of the docking station.

John H
29-05-2018, 10:18 AM
I should have put that more clearly. Start Skype. It always finds the inbuilt laptop camera but not the Logitech camera. Unplug the Logitech camera's usb cable whilst Skype is still running. Wait a few seconds and then plug it back in again, preferably into a different usb port. The camera will start and Skype will find it.

I don't know why it does this but it has just become routine for me...

Pato
29-05-2018, 11:20 AM

This PC doesn't have a cam, so I get a black box saying cant find a camera.I don't have a Cam App. Perhaps I have a different download of Skype. Maybe I should delete skype and
try another download.? (By the way my Cam is a c525 and not c625 as in my original post not that it will make any difference.)

Pato
29-05-2018, 02:20 PM
I should have put that more clearly. Start Skype. It always finds the inbuilt laptop camera but not the Logitech camera. Unplug the Logitech camera's usb cable whilst Skype is still running. Wait a few seconds and then plug it back in again, preferably into a different usb port. The camera will start and Skype will find it.

I don't know why it does this but it has just become routine for me...Hi John. Thanks for the tip but unfortunately it didn't work. I don't think Skype likes me anymore. I can't get the program to run.

dugimodo
29-05-2018, 03:27 PM
I don't have a Cam App. Perhaps I have a different download of Skype. Maybe I should delete skype and
try another download.? (By the way my Cam is a c525 and not c625 as in my original post not that it will make any difference.)

You should, it's a default app included with windows 10. Picks up my old logitech web cam just fine.
Did you hit the start button and type Cam as suggested ?

Pato
29-05-2018, 03:40 PM
OIC. Just tried it and it said that it needed privacy settings permission. I just switched on Camera and Skype.? What others do I need switched on.?

Pato
30-05-2018, 09:44 AM

This PC doesn't have a cam, so I get a black box saying cant find a camera.When I go to Cam app it asks for settings to be changed in Privacy Settings to allow app to use camera.

I switched on Camera but it still asks for permission. Perhaps I don't have that app?. Any clues as to how I can get this camera to work.?

wainuitech
30-05-2018, 10:30 AM
When I go to Cam app it asks for settings to be changed in Privacy Settings to allow app to use camera.

I switched on Camera but it still asks for permission. Perhaps I don't have that app?. Any clues as to how I can get this camera to work.? Give this a go--

In the search type Privacy - open privacy Settings. ( or go directly to Camera Privacy if its listed)

On the Left under App Permissions Click Camera - make sure its set to on, below that, turn on the apps you want to allow it to use.

Pato
30-05-2018, 11:21 AM
Tried that but still no joy with Skype. Thanks for trying I guess I will have to learn to be without Skype. Still annoying that it was working perfectly and I suspect it was a MS upgrade that killed it

wainuitech
30-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Tried that but still no joy with Skype. Thanks for trying I guess I will have to learn to be without Skype. Still annoying that it was working perfectly and I suspect it was a MS upgrade that killed it But does the cam open in the Cam App ? Another way to open the Camera, is Click on Start- Scroll down to C/Camera.

If its a permission problem, just located this.

Open File Explorer and go to Pictures
In Pictures folder, right click on the Camera roll folder and choose Properties
Go to Security tab
Choose your username, which is listed under Group or user names:
Click on Edit permissions and check Full control
Click OK

Failing that, you can reinstall the App. http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reset-and-reinstall-the-camera-app-in-windows-10/

You can also use Powershell ( slightly easier than the one above) https://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-reinstall-all-default-built-in-apps-in-windows-10/
You will be looking for the file

Microsoft.WindowsCamera_2018.227.30.1000_x64__8wek yb3d8bbwe

Pato
30-05-2018, 02:48 PM
I was able to open the cam by clicking on start and then camera, and behold my ugly dial appeared on the screen. Now how can I use this in Skype?.

wainuitech
30-05-2018, 03:37 PM
I was able to open the cam by clicking on start and then camera, and behold my ugly dial appeared on the screen. Now how can I use this in Skype?.
Ok that's good, this means the Cam is working in the OS.

Open Skype, Sign in, Along the top you'll see 3 dots:

Click Those, Settings, On the window from the drop Down box video, you can select your Camera. Turn it on to test, you'll get a message asking for skypes permission to use the cam - Agree -- you should then see yourself :) Check / Turn on /select the audio and microphone as well.

Pato
30-05-2018, 04:17 PM
That looks good. I didn't get a message asking for skypes permssion to use the cam. I seem to have lost all my contacts is there any way of getting them back.?

It looks as though I have to switch the test video on each time I use skype.?

I put skype on my tablet and I see all the contacts are on there, but I really need them on my desktop version. I suppose it will be easy when you tell me how.

Pato
30-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Ignore my comments re switching on the test video each time I use Skype. I see that it is not necessary.

dugimodo
30-05-2018, 05:07 PM
All you should need to do is log into skype with your same account details and the contacts should come back, at least they always have for me.

wainuitech
30-05-2018, 05:22 PM
Ignore my comments re switching on the test video each time I use Skype. I see that it is not necessary. Confirming what dugimodo posted. The most common cause is a different name. Have a read of these suggestions.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/fa34814/why-are-my-skype-contacts-or-credit-missing

Number 2 esp where theres a link called Skype Name.

Seen that happen and the person goes (similar wording) --Oh yeah, forgot about that one ;)

B.M.
30-05-2018, 05:40 PM
Don't know if this is of any help but I found it whilst searching for something else. Seems you are not alone. :rolleyes:

Same problem. Old Skype on old devices working properly, new computer, windows 10, new Skype, generating new empty address book with the same e-mail for the same account (Skype diagnostics says I only have 1 account associated with the e-mail). When logging in from my phone with the e-mail, i have full contacts. When logging in from new windows 10 pc - nothing is present. So,
I fixed it for myself:

1. Since my phone could still log in with the old Skype, where I had all my contacts, I just opened my profile and added in my phone number (you can use phone number as login credential, remember?).
2. This phone number got associated with the correct account.
3. I then logged in with phone number to other devices and it worked, getting all my history and contacts back.

Hope this works for everyone else, as well. I've gone through dozens of forums and sites that refer to this issue, and all I could find was people struggling with no success, and of-course the useless Microsoft support responses with the same repetitive diagnostic questions, with the same advice and not a single thread was found helpful, not just to me, but it seems like - to everyone, basically. It has come to my attention that Microsoft pays little respect to its customers (unless the problem concerns a lot of money), as this problem has been around for awhile now and there seems to be no fix to it. Imagine how frustrating it can be, when you lose hundreds of contacts and are unable to work around like I did (e.g. you lost the device, where you had saved your original Skype account). If MS keeps doing flawed updates and "upgrades" I'm gonna be forced to overlook my trusty relationship with their OS and software, for good : )))) check yourselves MS :)

Pato
31-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Thanks wainui and others for your help which was much appreciated. Skype is back in action.