PDA

View Full Version : Win 10 again.

B.M.
26-05-2018, 06:23 PM
Well SWMBO is throwing a right tantrum because Microsoft have thoughtfully updated her Computer to VER 1803 (Build 17134.48) and stuffed her Webcam again, plus, lost all her Games this time as a bonus.

Ok, the Webcam issue is well documented and I left a short-cut to the Win 7 Driver on the desktop because nearly every Win 10 update turned the Camera upside down so I had to reinstall the old Win 7 driver to fix things.

However, this time the Win 7 driver doesnít fix anything, and all I get is a message saying another programme has control of the Webcam, try closing other programme or words to that effect.

Problem is the only programme open, or uses the Webcam, is Skype, which makes me wonder if the other User is actually Microsoft themselves sending Webcam information back to the Mothership.

Anyway, to stop the whining, has anybody else experienced this problem.

Oh, I havenít addressed the Games problem yet but would be keen to be pointed in the right direction by someone who has.

Computer: a ASUS K52F Laptop with Chicony CNF_9085 camera.

wainuitech
26-05-2018, 06:39 PM
The reason for the Web Cam being upside down is Because ASUS actually installed it upside down in the computer and requires the W7 software to right it back the correct way ( its well documented) as it goes back several years. See 2nd post https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/15578-asus-webcam-driver.html Edited: in post #6 on that link someone has posted a reg alteration, no idea if it works or not.

Whats "using the Cam" open task manager and have a look. You may need to run the driver as admin (the same as some alterations in Linux require)

The Games -- If you are referring t the standard games installed in W7, they were removed after W7 (W8 onwards). But you can easily reinstall them. I got this file on my USB drive that I use all the time.

windows-7-games-for-windows-10-anniversary-update-and-above/ (https://winaero.com/blog/windows-7-games-for-windows-10-anniversary-update-and-above/)

Download the zip file, unzip and run the exe. WARNING watch what you are clicking there are a couple of other programs that may be installed ( from memory). PS un-tick the internet games I don't think they work anyway anymore.

wainuitech
26-05-2018, 07:05 PM
Just adding to above HINT: -- Once the games are installed, if you go to the start - they will be listed, right click any one of them, More - Open File location - in the menu/address bar, click on Programs - Then on games folder, right click send to - desktop create shortcut and the links to all the games are in one place ( on desktop) You can change the Folder Icon to what ever you want ( should you want something different than the default Icon)

gary67
26-05-2018, 07:39 PM
I would just put the wonder OS Mint on her laptop

wainuitech
26-05-2018, 08:01 PM
I would just put the wonder OS Mint on her laptop DONT go there Gary ;)

Lets be civilized for once.

linw
26-05-2018, 08:52 PM
I wonder if civility will go both ways?

B.M.
27-05-2018, 09:24 AM
The reason for the Web Cam being upside down is Because ASUS actually installed it upside down in the computer and requires the W7 software to right it back the correct way ( its well documented) as it goes back several years. See 2nd post https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/15578-asus-webcam-driver.html Edited: in post #6 on that link someone has posted a reg alteration, no idea if it works or not.

Whats "using the Cam" open task manager and have a look. You may need to run the driver as admin (the same as some alterations in Linux require)

The Games -- If you are referring t the standard games installed in W7, they were removed after W7 (W8 onwards). But you can easily reinstall them. I got this file on my USB drive that I use all the time.

windows-7-games-for-windows-10-anniversary-update-and-above/ (https://winaero.com/blog/windows-7-games-for-windows-10-anniversary-update-and-above/)

Download the zip file, unzip and run the exe. WARNING watch what you are clicking there are a couple of other programs that may be installed ( from memory). PS un-tick the internet games I don't think they work anyway anymore.

Yes Wainui, the problem with Win 10 and Webcams is well documented, is very old and never been addressed by Microsoft. You will note that the link you provided is dated August 2015 and I donít think itís unreasonable to expect Microsoft to have addressed the problem by now. :rolleyes:

However, the latest problem is quite different in nature. Now instead of having a picture upside down which the reinstallation of the Win 7 Driver would correct, we donít have any picture at all.

The problem only occurred after the 1803 update and Iíve found, courtesy of Google, others have had the same problem, so Iíll follow some of their suggestions and get back if I find a solution.

The games can wait for the moment. :D

wainuitech
27-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Yes Wainui, the problem with Win 10 and Webcams is well documented, is very old and never been addressed by Microsoft. You will note that the link you provided is dated August 2015 and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect Microsoft to have addressed the problem by now. :rolleyes:

However, the latest problem is quite different in nature. Now instead of having a picture upside down which the reinstallation of the Win 7 Driver would correct, we don’t have any picture at all.

The problem only occurred after the 1803 update and I’ve found, courtesy of Google, others have had the same problem, so I’ll follow some of their suggestions and get back if I find a solution.

The games can wait for the moment. :D The problem as advised in the article is not Microsoft's Problem. Microsoft put out STANDARD drivers for many different cams. The Problem is ASUS has put the cam in the lid upside down on purpose, other manufactures put in cams the right way up.

Yes the article is dated 2015, that's when the problem that ASUS have created first started. SO WHY didn't they Fix it ?

My Sons ASUS Laptop works perfectly fine, the CAM is the right way up and works as it should, thats been upgraded through several OS's.

So the question is Why should Microsoft make a special driver just for one other company when the company its self (ASUS) cant be bothered fixing THEIR own created problem. As you have already pointed out, the Drivers for the cam are W7, and ASUS haven't updated for their hardware. ASUS should be providing a working Driver to MS.

The other Option which would cure the problem. Put the Laptop Back to W7. It wont change back to W10 as that boat has long sailed.

You can always do a fresh Install of W7, download the drivers from ASUS- and away you go.

Just looked up the laptop, ASUS stopped supporting it after W7. The drivers available are from XP- W7.

wainuitech
27-05-2018, 10:45 AM
Have you tried altering the reg as per the other post ?

Option 5 (dated 2018) https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-the-upside-down-skype-camera-on-windows/

In Option 2 suggests getting drivers-ASUS problem have not upgrade ;)

Keep in mind that you have to download drivers only from manufacturerís website. Third-party websites might contain corrupted or even malicious drivers that might harm the system.

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2018, 11:04 AM
There was another way of fixing this. The inf file for the camera used to be the prob. You had to change an entry save it. Then reload the inf file to fix it

I remember telling someone, somewhere else how to fix it. And yup, it was a known issue with ASUS laptops, like 5-10 yrs ago

B.M.
27-05-2018, 01:10 PM
The problem as advised in the article is not Microsoft's Problem. Microsoft put out STANDARD drivers for many different cams. The Problem is ASUS has put the cam in the lid upside down on purpose, other manufactures put in cams the right way up.

Yes the article is dated 2015, that's when the problem that ASUS have created first started. SO WHY didn't they Fix it ?

My Sons ASUS Laptop works perfectly fine, the CAM is the right way up and works as it should, thats been upgraded through several OS's.

So the question is Why should Microsoft make a special driver just for one other company when the company its self (ASUS) cant be bothered fixing THEIR own created problem. As you have already pointed out, the Drivers for the cam are W7, and ASUS haven't updated for their hardware. ASUS should be providing a working Driver to MS.

I donít believe what Iím reading. :eek:

So if you took your perfectly working motor vehicle to the Testing Station for a WOF and they drove it into the pit, you would be quite happy to pay for its removal and repair.

Well I still maintain that if I have a Computer that is working fine I should be able to expect it to still be after Microsoft have made alterations at their own behest without invitation.

Anyway, Iíve fixed the Camera using method 1 HERE (https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-camera-not-working-windows-10-update.html). :)

I did have to reinstall the Win 7 driver using the Windows Installation Facility not the Driver Install programme that came with the Driver.

Now for the Games. :D

wainuitech
27-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Anyway, I’ve fixed the Camera using method 1 HERE (https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-camera-not-working-windows-10-update.html).

LOL Number 1 -- its not Microsoft fault you cant do something.
you need to check whether your camera is turned on first. Well Dhurrrr it was turned off. :lol:

wainuitech
27-05-2018, 02:53 PM
Well I still maintain that if I have a Computer that is working fine I should be able to expect it to still be after Microsoft have made alterations at their own behest without invitation.
Well turn the updates / Upgrades off -- its been described many times and if you search google there are plenty of articles on how to as well.

B.M.
27-05-2018, 03:24 PM
LOL Number 1 -- its not Microsoft fault you cant do something. Well Dhurrrr it was turned off. :lol:

Of course everybody knows this is how you turn your Camera on in Win 10 now.

Silly me. :crying

1. Turn on Camera to Fix Camera Not Working in Windows 10

If your camera is not working after the Windows 10 update, you need to check whether your camera is turned on first. Follow the below instructions to enable the camera.

Step 1. Click on Start, and tap Settings from the Start screen

Step 2. Select Privacy from the Settings window

Step 3. Select Camera from the left pane

Step 4. Turn on the Let apps use my camera setting

Step 5. In the Choose apps that can use your camera list, turn on the camera for all applications that need access to your camera

The other trick was that you have to use the Windows Installer for the Win 7 Driver not the one that comes with it which used to work fine.

B.M.
27-05-2018, 03:28 PM
Well turn the updates / Upgrades off -- its been described many times and if you search google there are plenty of articles on how to as well.

I thought you said you can't turn the updates/upgrades off on the Home version?

B.M.
27-05-2018, 03:32 PM
The Games are back and working too.

Found the original download in the Download Folder and reinstalled them.

Don't know why they were uninstalled by the Upgrade??????

wainuitech
27-05-2018, 06:21 PM
I thought you said you can't turn the updates/upgrades off on the Home version? You cant turn updates by the default settings in the Home editions, but there are other ways.

One of the Home editions I have in the workshop, to turn off the updates/upgrades I simply right click a .bat file - Run as administrator, --You see the scrip running ( takes a second / quick flash) That's it They are disabled. If you go into updates and manually run them it errors and wont work (which is what its meant to do) To turn them back on do the same on another .bat file and they are working again.

As proof and offering the files, have a watch of this -- I disabled the Updates again ( they were already disabled I found out but ram them again to demo) - it errors - Then re enabled them. After I enabled, they went looking, stopped the video after a while, and took a screen shot of the results a few minutes later (watching dots is so boring) ;) They work on the majority of computer with W10.

This is from one of my workshop PC's that I do data recovery from, updates slow it down, so I disable updates when I'm using it for work.

Da Video -- https://streamable.com/nn4v3 Edited: bat files are on the right of the screen

After enabling again:

The .bat files: Unzip then run as per Video /Instructions: ( available to download for 7 days as of today) https://ufile.io/f4sg5 Use the slow download after the timer counts down.

So there you go -- Sort out any current problems and disable the updates and never have to complain about updates again. :p The balls in your court, you been given the options / tools if you choose not to use then don't complain. :D

gary67
27-05-2018, 07:16 PM
I don’t believe what I’m reading. :eek:

So if you took your perfectly working motor vehicle to the Testing Station for a WOF and they drove it into the pit, you would be quite happy to pay for its removal and repair.

Anyway, I’ve fixed the Camera using method 1 HERE (https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-camera-not-working-windows-10-update.html). :)

I did have to reinstall the Win 7 driver using the Windows Installation Facility not the Driver Install programme that came with the Driver.

Now for the Games. :D

So you take your Ford or Holden to the petrol station and the attendant fills it with diesel, in your world you expect Ford or Holden to fix it even though its not their issue, what a strange world lives in your mind.

B.M.
27-05-2018, 09:24 PM
So you take your Ford or Holden to the petrol station and the attendant fills it with diesel, in your world you expect Ford or Holden to fix it even though its not their issue, what a strange world lives in your mind.

On the contrary, I expect the person who did it, fixes it, but that thinking might be a bit too advanced for you. :rolleyes:

B.M.
27-05-2018, 09:36 PM
You cant turn updates by the default settings in the Home editions, but there are other ways.

One of the Home editions I have in the workshop, to turn off the updates/upgrades I simply right click a .bat file - Run as administrator, --You see the scrip running ( takes a second / quick flash) That's it They are disabled. If you go into updates and manually run them it errors and wont work (which is what its meant to do) To turn them back on do the same on another .bat file and they are working again.

As proof and offering the files, have a watch of this -- I disabled the Updates again ( they were already disabled I found out but ram them again to demo) - it errors - Then re enabled them. After I enabled, they went looking, stopped the video after a while, and took a screen shot of the results a few minutes later (watching dots is so boring) ;) They work on the majority of computer with W10.

This is from one of my workshop PC's that I do data recovery from, updates slow it down, so I disable updates when I'm using it for work.

Da Video -- https://streamable.com/nn4v3 Edited: bat files are on the right of the screen

After enabling again:

The .bat files: Unzip then run as per Video /Instructions: ( available to download for 7 days as of today) https://ufile.io/f4sg5 Use the slow download after the timer counts down.

So there you go -- Sort out any current problems and disable the updates and never have to complain about updates again. :p The balls in your court, you been given the options / tools if you choose not to use then don't complain. :D

I see, but this is what you said previously, no Ifís, no Buts.

However, your instructions are as helpful to the man on the street as THIS (https://www.theguardian.com/science/2003/jun/19/thisweekssciencequestions.weaponstechnology).

All I ask for is an operating system that works without me having to design it.

wainuitech
27-05-2018, 10:23 PM
I see, but this is what you said previously, no If’s, no Buts.

However, your instructions are as helpful to the man on the street as THIS (https://www.theguardian.com/science/2003/jun/19/thisweekssciencequestions.weaponstechnology).

All I ask for is an operating system that works without me having to design it. I said you had to have pro to use the inbuilt options, Home doesn't have the options ( its cut down).You even posted the exact wording, guess you stuffed that one didn't ya.

It can be made to stop updates. Thats why I did the video, anyone can write text, but actually showing and proving you cant deny it.

I proved it, and you simply are being a total ARSE. Again proved you wrong and you cant take it.

So as before you have been given the tools use them.

Mind you right clicking a file may be out of your limited ability.

B.M.
28-05-2018, 08:53 AM
I said you had to have pro to use the inbuilt options, Home doesn't have the options ( its cut down).You even posted the exact wording, guess you stuffed that one didn't ya.

It can be made to stop updates. Thats why I did the video, anyone can write text, but actually showing and proving you cant deny it.

I proved it, and you simply are being a total ARSE. Again proved you wrong and you cant take it.

So as before you have been given the tools use them.

Mind you right clicking a file may be out of your limited ability.

I thought what you wrote in kenjís desire to have a basic OS with all the upgrades turned off was quite clear.

Here it is again:

You can, BUT (there's always a BUT) You have to have the Pro version. That's why you pay a little extra for pro, you can have the options of complete control on just about everything.

The cut down ( & cheaper) Home doesn't have the options.

My understanding of that is if you have Windows 10 Home you canít turn the damn updates or upgrades off. More specifically the average user canít.

So to put this matter to bed, can the average user turn off the upgrades and updates on Windows 10 Home version?

"Yes" or "No".

gary67
28-05-2018, 09:08 AM
Ha ha so you expect a software manufacturer to solve an engineering fault again, you so funny you should be on the stage.

28-05-2018, 10:05 AM
So to put this matter to bed, can the average user turn off the upgrades and updates on Windows 10 Home version?

"Yes" or "No".

No. Simple answer. As MS intended.
Even with Pro , updates can only be postponed . Even then, MS could just push them through regardless (they have a past history of doing just that)

MS are actively closing off the previously working ways to stop WinUpdates. There are ways, but the av user wouldn't be comfortable doing it .

B.M.
28-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Ha ha so you expect a software manufacturer to solve an engineering fault again, you so funny you should be on the stage.

No engineering fault at all.

The engineering worked fine prior to the Software update.

Try again with some other lame excuse. :lol:

28-05-2018, 10:10 AM

The problem is the manufactures often dont give a rats arse after they sell you the laptop/printer/phone/widget.
Sometimes abandoned by the manufacturer with a year or so. No further driver updates or bios updates.

Owners of that hardware have every right to be p8ssed off, but they put the blame on MS rather than on the manufacturer where it belongs .

wainuitech
28-05-2018, 11:01 AM
I thought what you wrote in kenj’s desire to have a basic OS with all the upgrades turned off was quite clear.

Here it is again:

My understanding of that is if you have Windows 10 Home you can’t turn the damn updates or upgrades off. More specifically the average user can’t.

"Yes" or "No". Theres more to that question by the way its asked than a simple yes or no by including the "Average user" wording.

The "Average User" doesn't have the knowledge to do it, even in Pro you have to dig down through a few settings (not actually hidden). The "Average user" never goes into most settings, in fact the "Average user" doesn't even know where most of the settings are.

The scripts I displayed have been in use on that demo PC for a while now, the last update prior to running it last night was on the 16th February. Since then there have been updates and upgrades, and that PC is in use 3-4 days a week and has never updated. So at the moment they are working as planned. They are almost idiot proof to run.

Here's a thought (and being serious) why not put the two bat files as I linked on your wifes W10 somewhere you know where they are and wont lose / delete them. As per the instructions, right click disable Windows updates - Click run as Administrator. Manually go in and test to see if the updates error. Assuming they do - wait and see if any more are forced through. You got nothing to lose.

Can MS force updates past blocks ? Sure they can, its would they, and even if they did they are well within their rights.

When the OS was first activated (the day you brought it) you would have had to agreed to the terms and conditions other wise it wont install. Look at # 6.

The "Average User" doesn't know where they actually are, but I'll tell you. Click in the search, type Winver - open it. Near the bottom of the window is a link to the Terms and conditions.

Just because you (like most people) never actually read them doesn't mean anything, you agreed by clicking the button to finish setting it up.

Legally that's accepted in Court ( I know because I won a case when some prick wouldn't pay a bill years ago- they used the excuse the just agreed and signed, didn't read - they lost the moment that was said)

Other places force out updates as well. If you have Sky TV either directly through Sky or Vodafone they force out firmware upgrades to the decoders. They don't pop up with a message saying its going to happen, they just do it, usually at some early hours of the morning.

So back to the question -- Can you block- at the Moment YES. Will it continue to work ? Who knows, unless you can see into the future.

28-05-2018, 11:36 AM
Can MS force updates past blocks ? Sure they can, its would they,

they use to do that, sort of , almost. :-)
In the past , picking the old school option option of ~Notify only~, MS would still send some updates through regardless. Updates they deemed
really important, forcing an unexpected restart .

Nowadays , Forcing updates through, well,
Disabling the update service no longer works, its often soon auto re-enabled . If thats not forcing the updates regardless .......
One foolproof way is is to turn the softwareupdate folder into a link.

They upside of all this, is that Windows10 is now allways fairly up to date with the latest security patches. Thats what Av User needs
In the past , it was so common to see PC's that hadnt had any Winupdates for years

edit , a possible fix to stop winupdate service re-enabling itself (disable some scheduled tasks)
https://www.askwoody.com/2017/is-a-win10-1607-cumulative-update-re-enabling-a-disabled-windows-update-service/

wainuitech
28-05-2018, 11:47 AM
Disabling the update service no longer works, its often soon auto re-enabled . One extra line in those bat files works wonders, sure the original stop service is there, but it did often restart again.

After adding the line never had it restart until its been told to.

sc config wuauserv start= disabled

wainuitech
28-05-2018, 12:01 PM
Just came across another .bat file I had forgotten about, I found last year, a few more commands are included which I'll use when the other actually fails. :D

28-05-2018, 02:09 PM
One extra line in those bat files works wonders, sure the original stop service is there, but it did often restart again.

After adding the line never had it restart until its been told to.

sc config wuauserv start= disabled

Ive manually disabled that service on a few PC's, it just re-enabled itself not long later

Theres a very long thread here , with some clever ideas .
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8013-enable-disable-windows-update-automatic-updates-windows-10-a-58.html

I now just accept forced updates as part of Win10(Home) . :-)

B.M.
28-05-2018, 02:36 PM
The problem is the manufactures often dont give a rats arse after they sell you the laptop/printer/phone/widget.
Sometimes abandoned by the manufacturer with a year or so. No further driver updates or bios updates.

Owners of that hardware have every right to be p8ssed off, but they put the blame on MS rather than on the manufacturer where it belongs .

Sorry 1101 but I canít reconcile that.

If the Hardware was working perfectly and the new Software broke it, then surely itís not the Hardwareís fault.

What you are saying is that if a Petrol Company was to change the octane ratings of their petrol, then the car manufactures should be obliged to fix the cars to run on it.

Or, if your Power Company was to decide it was in their best interest to feed Direct Current instead of Alternating Current, then it was up to the Appliance Manufactures to remedy the situation.

Personally, I canít see the Car Companies or Appliance Manufactures showing any more interest than Hardware Manufactures when it comes to accommodating a faulty product. :D

28-05-2018, 04:40 PM
Sorry 1101 but I can’t reconcile that.

how about this then. An issue Ive come across a few times on a few different printers.

A fairly new printer (and some old) work perfectly in Win7
Supply a Brand new Win10 PC. Printer driver doesnt work (prints 1 page only then nothing, scan works OK).
HP(cough cough) dont offer any new drivers or printer software . The customer is forced to replace the printer , its only 2 years old (yes that happened)

Whos's to blame. I'd say the Printer manufacturer . They dont care .
And in general, perhaps if hardware drivers were better written, perhaps they wouldnt be so easily affected by updates .

Ive seen Printer drivers made unusable by an IE update. Blame MS or blame HP for shoddy drivers ?
That driver was 'fixed' not by HP, but by a Software developer who wanted his printer to work & he uploaded the fix to forums for others to use.
The issue was poorly written driver software. Do we blame MS for updating IE ?

Using a better car example. GPS in your car, either built in or addon. 1-2 years later , you find you cant get map updates for it.
Do you blame the govt for improving NZ's roads or councils for adding new roads and making some roads one way. Or blame the GPS manufacturer for not giving updates .
That GPS worked perfectly before the govt built all these new roads. Now you get sent the wrong way down one way streets
:)

28-05-2018, 05:01 PM
or BM's famous upside down webcam.
Manufacturer installs webcams upside down. They write special drivers to flip the image back up.

Now, that manufacturer knows , that any generic driver installed via updates will make the cam unusable.
Its up to that manufacturer to make sure that never happens , as its well known to all that MS do push out driver updates
The manufacturer doesnt care, otherwise they would have found a way to make sure that generic webcam drivers arnt installed .

https://www.asus.com/nz/support/FAQ/109836/

B.M.
28-05-2018, 06:12 PM
how about this then. An issue Ive come across a few times on a few different printers.

Iím sorry 1101 but I remain unrepentant and still place the burden of responsibility to write the driver software with the OS programme writers.

As an example, few, if any peripheral manufactures provide any drivers at all for Linux, yet every peripheral Iíve tried on Linux Mint just works.

How can a bunch of mug amateurs do it when the smart Alecís canít?

Which raises another *****.

I got a notification from Vodafone advising that I was approaching my Broadband limit which came as a shock as I usually use less than half.

Investigation showed that between the hours of Midnight and 2am on the 26th of this month some 38 GB of my Bandwidth had been used.

You guessed, SWMBO had left her computer on and the thieves at Microsoft had seized the opportunity and updated her computer stuffing things as they went.

But that aside 38GB for an OS, fair go. :eek:

wainuitech
28-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Manufacturer installs webcams upside down. They write special drivers to flip the image back up.

Now, that manufacturer knows , that any generic driver installed via updates will make the cam unusable.
Its up to that manufacturer to make sure that never happens , as its well known to all that MS do push out driver updates
The manufacturer doesnt care, otherwise they would have found a way to make sure that generic webcam drivers arnt installed .

https://www.asus.com/nz/support/FAQ/109836/ Just adding to this, Its not actually Microsoft that make the drivers. The Only Microsoft drivers are for their own Hardware.

The Drivers in relation to the ASUS cam actually come from ASUS, which are then supplied to Microsoft. The Cam in question, the drivers for that model were stopped with W7. After that ASUS changed the drivers, so whats put out is what is supplied by the original manufacture.

The Following article explains it: https://www.howtogeek.com/191405/should-you-use-the-hardware-drivers-windows-provides-or-download-your-manufacturers-drivers/

The default drivers Microsoft provides are stripped down and a bit older, but theyíre written by your device manufacturer ó not Microsoft themselves

The section Titled "How Manufacturer-Provided Drivers Are Different" needs to be read. Basically ASUS had to create a special non standard Cam Driver for their upside down cam, Once they stopped it, the newer ones That are now supplied to Microsoft dont have the ability to flip the cam, so blame ASUS for not supplying working drivers to Microsoft.

Microsoft only put out what they are supplied.

wainuitech
28-05-2018, 06:22 PM
But that aside 38GB for an OS, fair go. :eek:

February /March is Higher overall and there were no upgrades from MS at that time. Other months are not exactly low either. If you're with vodafone you may be on an old plan. Was at a persons place on saturday, they were paying more for their limited usage ( like yourself) than I'm paying for unlimited and a LOT LOT faster. If you call them you should get better options for cheaper.

zqwerty
28-05-2018, 06:25 PM
As far as I know MS now uses a torrent like service to update computers and if you don't set up not to do this your computer will use your bandwidth to feed other computers with the updates. lol. Hence the large bandwidth use.

gary67
28-05-2018, 06:33 PM
Its no good the Ostrich of the North aka BM won't listen as only he knows everything in the entire world better than anyone else

B.M.
28-05-2018, 06:35 PM

https://www.asus.com/nz/support/FAQ/109836/

Non no no 1101, :) Microsoft were well aware of the matter and there was no problem until Win10.

After all the fix is to install the Win7 driver which is pure irony.

But don't worry too much about my problems, whose fault is THIS? (https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/76719/microsoft-broken-millions-webcams-windows-10-anniversary-update)

wainuitech
28-05-2018, 06:39 PM
Its no good the Ostrich of the North aka BM won't listen as only he knows everything in the entire world better than anyone else

Of course Gary ;)

Of course the following settings will also be known. Ewww look still got 500GB Left - and none used in a month even though its set to "go for it" :D

gary67
28-05-2018, 07:22 PM
We only have 120Gb on our rural package and 2 laptops we never get any where near our cap

29-05-2018, 11:41 AM
Non no no 1101, :)
But don't worry too much about my problems, whose fault is THIS? (https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/76719/microsoft-broken-millions-webcams-windows-10-anniversary-update)

well, I never said MS dont stuff up every now & then. :)
"The problem is that after installing the update, Windows no longer allows USB webcams to use MJPEG or H264 encoded streams and is only allowing YUY2 encoding."

Some of the things MS do peeve me off .
But many companies make mistakes with their products : cars , TV's , letterboxs .

wainuitech
29-05-2018, 12:45 PM
But don't worry too much about my problems, whose fault is THIS? (https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/76719/microsoft-broken-millions-webcams-windows-10-anniversary-update) Why are you posting links to Articles / events that happened 2 years ago and fixes already been deployed ?

You always jump all over them saying its an old article etc ?

wainuitech
29-05-2018, 12:50 PM
But many companies make mistakes with their products : cars , TV's , letterboxs . They sure do all you have to look at is re-calls on many items.

Here's 43 pages of Recalls on products from 2008 https://www.recalls.govt.nz/recalls/

B.M.
29-05-2018, 01:43 PM
They sure do all you have to look at is re-calls on many items.

Here's 43 pages of Recalls on products from 2008 https://www.recalls.govt.nz/recalls/

Yes and the big difference is these companies fixed their stuff-ups themselves, as opposed to blaming someone else.

;)

wainuitech
29-05-2018, 02:08 PM
Yes and the big difference is these companies fixed their stuff-ups themselves, as opposed to blaming someone else.

;) OKAY - Simple questions. Why has ASUS stopped making Drivers for the Cams, and don't want to know about it since W7 ? They Know that it wont work with newer OS's, so Why haven't they fixed the problem ?

Your car examples, if you Brought a car from one car sales would you expect some other to make any repairs for Free within its warranty ?

I got a Cam here, wont work In Linux mint, plug it into a Windows XP, works fine -- So why wont Linux Solve the Problem ?

B.M.
29-05-2018, 02:10 PM

Oh no, Iím being stalked by a "Loony Left-Wing Looser". :eek:

B.M.
29-05-2018, 02:15 PM
I got a Cam here, wont work In Linux mint, plug it into a Windows XP, works fine -- So why wont Linux Solve the Problem ?

But does it work on Win 10? :D

wainuitech
29-05-2018, 05:21 PM
But does it work on Win 10? :D

Dunno never tried. No need for it.

Anyhows, what about answering the question(s) Or are you going to do your normal stunt and ignore or come back with some smart comment ?

B.M.
29-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Anyhows, what about answering the question(s) Or are you going to do your normal stunt and ignore or come back with some smart comment ?

OKAY - Simple questions. Why has ASUS stopped making Drivers for the Cams, and don't want to know about it since W7 ? They Know that it wont work with newer OS's, so Why haven't they fixed the problem ?

Hells teeth how many times do you have to be told?

Let me try again.

ASUS arenít obliged to do anything.

They have provided a Driver that works for Win7 and the same Driver works with Win10, it just hasnít been included with Win 10.

Whose fault is that?

Your car examples, if you Brought a car from one car sales would you expect some other to make any repairs for Free within its warranty ?

The Car analogy is that the Franchise Holders fixed the cars even though they didnít make the faulty part.

Take Toyota who recalled 26,000 vehicles in NZ because they had a faulty Airbag. The manufacture of the Airbag (Takata) didnít recall anything, but Iíll bet there has been some serious negotiations between Takata and Toyota. HERE (https://www.toyota.co.nz/about-toyota/toyota-news/2018/april/mandatory-alpha-takata-airbag-update/)

Now what part of that donít you understand? :rolleyes:

wainuitech
29-05-2018, 06:44 PM
Now what part of that don’t you understand? :rolleyes: Your arrogance in not relishing that ASUS don't give give a F*** about an outdated product. If they actually wanted they could make a driver but they wont.

Put windows 7 back on it and solve all the problems.

So whose at fault here:

You paint part of your house. A month later you go to do some more, but the brush has gone hard.

Whose fault is it that The brush is hard ?

The Paint Manufacture?

The Brush Manufacture ?

The dickhead who didn't clean the Brush in the first place.

Going by your reasoning its the Paint Manufacture because they should have made paint that doesn't dry on the brush.

You Know what -- No One really cares about your outdated Laptop that the Wife wont let you change to another OS. All you do is cry and moan about it. Grow some balls.

B.M.
29-05-2018, 08:19 PM
Your arrogance in not relishing that ASUS don't give give a F*** about an outdated product. If they actually wanted they could make a driver but they wont.

Put windows 7 back on it and solve all the problems.

So whose at fault here:

You paint part of your house. A month later you go to do some more, but the brush has gone hard.

Whose fault is it that The brush is hard ?

The Paint Manufacture?

The Brush Manufacture ?

The dickhead who didn't clean the Brush in the first place.

Going by your reasoning its the Paint Manufacture because they should have made paint that doesn't dry on the brush.

You Know what -- No One really cares about your outdated Laptop that the Wife wont let you change to another OS. All you do is cry and moan about it. Grow some balls.

Now you're talking scribble as a diversion. :D.

wainuitech
29-05-2018, 08:35 PM
Now you're talking scribble as a diversion. :D. :lol::lol: Every time you know you're wrong you never answer. Why is it that everyone else can see where the problem is except yourself ?

gary67
29-05-2018, 08:54 PM
:lol::lol: Every time you know you're wrong you never answer. Why is it that everyone else can see where the problem is except yourself ?

Mirrors broken that's why

30-05-2018, 10:40 AM
ASUS arenít obliged to do anything.

They have provided a Driver that works for Win7 and the same Driver works with Win10, it just hasnít been included with Win 10.
:

Its asus's fault for their crappy design.
Its asus's fault for not proving MS with a 10 certified driver .
Its asus's fault for not changing the hardware ID so that incorrect drivers wont get installed on their crappy design

car analogy , again.
Asus make a car with square wheels (square wheels = the upside down webcam)
To make it work, asus provides Tracks that the square wheels can drive on.
Now, 4 years later, those Asus tracks, needed for square wheels, will not work on the new Te Atatu tunnel.
Asus now longer care , and wont supply the new tracks that will work in the tunnel . Whose fault ?
Its asus's fault for making a car with square wheels.

:)

linw
30-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Guys, I have a solution. Just NEVER reply to any of his posts.

What right does he have for unpaid support from here given his terrible attitude?

B.M.
30-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Guys, I have a solution. Just NEVER reply to any of his posts.

Good idea, you lead the way. :D