PDA

View Full Version : CCleaner build 5.43.6520

Lawrence
25-05-2018, 07:54 AM
The new Build of CCleaner introduces some privacy settings that need to be unchecked,they are checked by default

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/05/24/ccleaner-update-introduces-privacy-options/

The new build was released 23 May

wainuitech
25-05-2018, 09:53 AM
The new Build of CCleaner introduces some privacy settings that need to be unchecked,they are checked by default

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/05/24/ccleaner-update-introduces-privacy-options/

The new build was released 23 MayWouldn't be at all surprised if it was Avast who wanted that in. After all they now own Ccleaner.

wainuitech
25-05-2018, 10:09 AM
Adding to above -- just upgraded Ccleaner on three computers - the free version doesn't allow you to untick those options. The paid may ?

25-05-2018, 10:33 AM
"Third party analytics – when we share your data with a third party for analytics......"

So they sell data collected from your PC.
Just why would anyone now install this ......

Avast are more than happy to use dirty tricks & scareware popups to upsell rubbish to the less than PC savvy, so I'd expect the same sort of corporate attitude from CC now.

There are plenty of alternatives.

dugimodo
25-05-2018, 10:45 AM
"
Just why would anyone now install this ......

Well because it works and some of us are not paranoid or do not care if they collect data.
also

Privacy settings are unavailable for Free users as we do not collect any personal identifiable information, so Free users are essentially anonymous.

Also I think that ship has sailed, anything you do on the internet is potentially tracked and recorded.

Driftwood
25-05-2018, 11:03 AM
I think you're right dugi, I've stopped worrying about it.

25-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Well because it works and some of us are not paranoid or do not care if they collect data.
also

So you also dont care when that your data is onsold . And onsold then again. And shared .

Yes, so many things are now is trying to slurp data .
But that wont change unless on em mass people start saying: no, Unacceptable & I wont use your product I'll look for alternatives that dont slurp up & onsell data

Paranoid , perhaps . Or perhaps when everyone starts saying, no , thats unacceptable , then perhaps things will start to change

dugimodo
25-05-2018, 12:03 PM
No I don't care, that's what I said. With regards to privacy, people will always disagree about what's acceptable and what isn't.
Some don't want anyone knowing anything about them, and some like me just don't care. For the most part the data that's collected is boring statistical kind of stuff and not personal information about the user.

Sure if someone was publishing my Name and contact details all over the place I'd be annoyed, but that's just not happening. The worst thing I've seen so far is my google searches turning up as adds on Stuffs pages almost immediately, but if that bothered me I'd log out of google and/ or use a different search engine. The truth is I had far more privacy issues when I had a landline and a publicly listed phone number than I have ever had on the internet.

wainuitech
25-05-2018, 12:58 PM
The worst thing I've seen so far is my google searches turning up as adds on Stuffs pages almost immediately, but if that bothered me I'd log out of google and/ or use a different search engine. Was reading an article the other day about that.you are tracked everywhere, regardless of what OS you are using.

Interesting read about the in and outs. https://www.quora.com/Why-should-I-use-DuckDuckGo-instead-of-Google

rumpty
25-05-2018, 01:24 PM
I use Startpage.com instead of Google. They use Google search results, but completely isolate you from Google.
That's what they say. Have a look.

25-05-2018, 02:14 PM
dont care ?
How about your phone tracking everywhere you've been, and selling that info on ?
Or Tracking everywhere your kids with a phone have been ?
yes, thats been happening (in the US)
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/05/mobile-giants-please-dont-share-the-where/

how about info about what youve been printing sent home to the mothership ? yes , thats happened
what about your TV recording your conversations and sending that out to a 3rd party. at least one brand was doing that .

when we start saying this is all OK (dont care), then it will only get much worse.

Zippity
25-05-2018, 04:13 PM
1101 - I'm betting you check under your bed before you retire for the night, eh?? :D :D

25-05-2018, 04:21 PM
1101 - I'm betting you check under your bed before you retire for the night, eh?? :D :D

reds under the bed. Yep.
Perhaps seeing Muldoon's dancing cossaks warning on TV all those years back has affected me. :confused: