PDA

View Full Version : OTG cable adapter

Tbird650
23-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Recently my 2 year old Galaxy J5 suddenly quit when I plugged in a USB stick via an OTG cable. I'd used the setup before successfully. The J5 never recovered and was overheating whenever attempting to charge it.
I gave up trying to revive the J5 and bought a J7. I'm hesitant to use the OTG cable now in case it kills the new J7. Should I be paranoid or was it coincidence and bad luck?
Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks.

24-05-2018, 10:04 AM
Recently my 2 year old Galaxy J5 suddenly quit when I plugged in a USB stick via an OTG cable. I'd used the setup before successfully. The J5 never recovered and was overheating whenever attempting to charge it.
I gave up trying to revive the J5 and bought a J7. I'm hesitant to use the OTG cable now in case it kills the new J7. Should I be paranoid or was it coincidence and bad luck?
Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks.

I bought a Genuine Samsung OTG adapter .
It was genuinely FAKE and nearly ruined the port on the phone.

You may have bought a dud cable. ? or the cable (or USB stick) may have shorted ?

Tbird650
24-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Interesting.

My J5 USB port was forever filling up with lint and required periodic clearing. I got to the point of putting a small piece of tape over the port to reduce cleanup frequency. The J7 port: USB cables seem to plug in a bit further which noticeably clicks into place better. Not sure if this explains any of the J5 overheating issue which was pinpointed at some distance from the port.

For that matter any cable could short stuff out at any old time. The OTG was Ugreen (brand) from China of course. Reviewing the FAQ I note NTFS sticks are a problem with this OTG, no details as to why.

Chatting with various folk about the demise of my phone, more than one person said 2 years was OK for the phone life so I did well enough.

dugimodo
24-05-2018, 01:00 PM
I plugged a 2.5" hard drive into my tablet via an OTG cable and killed it. Stupid Idea in hindsight, I was just curious to see if it would work.
Anyway the tablet developed a fault where it would discharge the battery very rapidly and get extremely hot and was very difficult to charge.

My theory is the port can't supply that much current safely so something burnt out and caused a permanent load across the battery.
Anyway it wasn't the cable as it still works fine with joysticks and flash drives so I blame it on the amount of load I tried to draw.

I'm not sure if any of this is actually helpful, it just seemed really similar to what happened to your phone so I thought I'd mention it.
Luckily for me the tablet was fixed under warranty but they just replaced the whole mainboard so no clue as to the actual problem.

Tbird650
24-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the thought. Yes, that sounds identical. The new J7 has twice the storage so I'll steer clear of using the OTG/USB stick unless I really need to.