PDA

View Full Version : Fibre X

Pato
18-05-2018, 03:18 PM
Am on Vodafone cable. I am about to upgrade data cap from 40GB to 100GB. At present, I presume, I am on ADSL?.

Vodafone said that I will be on Fibre X and that I will need a new Modem. It is difficult to get any coherent information from Vodafone. Can anyone enlighten me as what to expect with speeds etc.?

Anything I should be aware of with this Fibre X and the replacement Modem.?

wratterus
18-05-2018, 03:32 PM
So are you on DSL or cable? You've said you're on cable but then you think you're on ADSL?

If you are on DSL and want to change to Vodafone's HFC (Cable, FibreX, all different names for the same thing) network, yes you'd more than likely need a new modem, which Vodafone would provide.

Speeds on FibreX will be dependant on your plan, but also dependant on congestion - eg don't expect to get the max advertised speeds all the time. However it should be signifintly better than ADSL all the time.

Fibre-X is not Fibre, despite what the name leads you to believe. If you can get Fibre, this is definitley perferable.

Pato
18-05-2018, 03:45 PM
I am on Cable and my comment re ADSL indicates my total lack of knowledge in this regard. I cannot get Fibre installed but I did know that there was a difference but wasn't sure why I needed a change of modem.

wainuitech
18-05-2018, 04:09 PM
I am on Cable and my comment re ADSL indicates my total lack of knowledge in this regard. I cannot get Fibre installed but I did know that there was a difference but wasn't sure why I needed a change of modem. If you are on vodafone cable theres almost no work involved for them to change you over to FibreX.
They change the modem & router and away you go.

The original modems cant handle the Newer FibreX (that's what the guy from Chorus told me anyway).there are basic two plans with FibreX, upto 200Mbps and FibreX Max upto 900Mbps.

To compare - A lot of the actual "Fibre" connections top out at 200Mbps, if you look at the plans. There are others that are faster but not as many.

Its like Any connection congestion or where you are getting data from will dictate the final speed. If you are getting some files from USA for example they will be slower than the same files from Somewhere in NZ.

Heres a speed test I just done, FibreX Max -- sometimes it goes faster than advertised, and its unlimited (no data caps)

Pato
18-05-2018, 04:31 PM
Great. That is the sort of information that I was seeking. I didn't know about the speeds and will check that aspect out. We just started to watch Netflix and the 40GB data cap wasn't going make it

so I needed the upgrade. Initially I got the wrong information from Vodafone but finally all sorted after a great deal of time on the phone. If you are lucky and can understand the person you are dealing with then that is a bonus.

Lurking
18-05-2018, 05:50 PM
https://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/search.php?searchid=3037463

Pato Previous FibreX link above.

wainui just got our phone bill and we must be on the cheap sh!t deal:

100GB FibreX 200 and voice $58.98 per month, cable and phone used to be $98.00.

We have quite a wait for fibre to be "blown up" from the footpath.

lurking.

Pato
18-05-2018, 06:27 PM
That link has run out of money!!

wainuitech
18-05-2018, 07:03 PM
wainui just got our phone bill and we must be on the cheap sh!t deal:

100GB FibreX 200 and voice $58.98 per month, cable and phone used to be $98.00.

We have quite a wait for fibre to be "blown up" from the footpath.

lurking. Just looked Mine is $119 FibreX Max - Unlimited data. The rest of the invoice has all sorts of crap on it. Phones packages, this that and the other -- SWMBO can yack to anyone in NZ for as long as she likes (motherinlaw a lot), basically no charges for toll calls. Well, they aren't actually unlimited, the guy at vodafone said there is a limit, I cant remember the amount but it worked out something like every day for 6-8 hours - still never come anywhere close to to using it all.

I used to have 100GB on cable but ended up chewing through it within two - three weeks. Now it doesn't matter, watch and download what you want.

On most most files I use a download manger, she really flies weeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

Lurking
18-05-2018, 11:11 PM
Just looked Mine is $119 FibreX Max - Unlimited data. The rest of the invoice has all sorts of crap on it. Phones packages, this that and the other On most most files I use a download manger, she really flies weeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

Looks like we will have to ask for the higher package, as they must have just replaced like for like, when the cable/router packed a sad.

lurking.

Jayess64
19-05-2018, 12:01 AM
Similar experience. August last year I asked Vodafone for an unlimited data plan. They gave me FibreX (OK, we know it isn't fibre at all) and sent an installer to put in a new modem and set everything up. I've been amazed at some of the download speeds I've seen, and the monthly bill went down. The only hitch was that the installer wasn't able to get an internet connection, so he finally told me to ring Vodafone and then skived off. I rang them, they picked up the phone almost at the first ring (!!!!), and told me I needed to open up the router software and change "VID" to 10, so I did and everything worked.
Seems as though the installer didn't know how routers work, he just plugged them in. I'm still not clear what VID is, but apparently if it is 10 it works and if it isn't it won't. Worth remembering.

wainuitech
19-05-2018, 10:21 AM
Similar experience.
Seems as though the installer didn't know how routers work. Yeah I wonder how much qualification / knowledge some of them have :confused:

Some of them put in the Fibre ONT - and leave the rest of the setup to the customer to sort out them selves.

Had a person last week, same type of thing, they had just got Fibre put in,but had no internet, so they called the installer back. The computer was still showing connected to the original Telecom Router but no internet. The installer couldn't figure out why it wasn't going and told them to call in a service tech.

I asked if it were wireless -- No the older box on the ground style PC.

I explained if I had to come out to their place it would be a service call -- so asked them to check on where the cables went to -- They didn't want to, to complicated -- So out I go, took one look :waughh: -- The Ethernet was still plugged into the Old router, unplugged and put it in the new and away it went. Just as well I did some other jobs while there.

Did a speed test and they were happy with their 60Mbps, faster than what they had anyway. But thats what they paid for. What many dont understand is there are different speed /data plans on Fibre, NOT flat out unlimted all the time.

Pato
19-05-2018, 11:41 AM
Read that with interest. Installer coming out on Tuesday to change Modem. I hope he knows what he is doing otherwise I will be up the creek without a paddle.

bk T
19-05-2018, 12:57 PM
On most most files I use a download manger, she really flies weeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

What download manager are you using, care to share?

Cheers.

wainuitech
19-05-2018, 03:24 PM
What download manager are you using, care to share?

Cheers. Yeah sure, no problems at all :D

I use Internet Download Manager http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/

There is a free Trial (to buy it you have a couple of options, yearly or Lifetime - Its Only $24.95 USD for a life time license, brought it about 5 or 6 (possible longer) years ago, there are occasional upgrades, but all built into the cost. Works on FF, IE,opera, Chrome sometimes Edge.

Saves a lot of time, even on slower connections as it gets segments of files from various sources.

An example, thought OK how to demonstrate it on a reasonable size file ( sometimes its to quick when trying to capture) -- Go download a ISO of Linux Mint from NZ ( maybe V19 is out by now- but nope) , downloaded V18.3 1.8GB in less than 30 seconds. Link to Screen capture showing Searching / Downloading from NZ. Overseas sites are sometimes as fast other times no quite so quick.
Internet Down loader in Action (https://streamable.com/esq51)

Edited: if on a site that has videos IDM can capture you'll see this button

bk T
19-05-2018, 07:14 PM
Thanks, wainuitech.