PDA

View Full Version : Using a Spyder without a Video Card

Misty
18-05-2018, 02:50 PM
I understand that it is desirable/required to have a 16-bit Video Card (preferably 24-bit) in a PC for calibrating the monitor. However apparently i5 processors which we are using have good video capability.
How much would it matter if we used a Spyder on such a machine? We have 8 Gig of RAM and Windows 10 on each of the machines.

Nomad
18-05-2018, 05:49 PM
I understand that it is desirable/required to have a 16-bit Video Card (preferably 24-bit) in a PC for calibrating the monitor. However apparently i5 processors which we are using have good video capability.
How much would it matter if we used a Spyder on such a machine? We have 8 Gig of RAM and Windows 10 on each of the machines.

I have a older Spyder. Works with my AMD Ryzen with just the builtin video card.

Misty
19-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Thanks Nomad - you have confirmed what I also found in the same post in "Cambridge in Colour". The writer says -

The term "video card" comes from the days when computers had discrete video cards, rather than CPUs with integrated graphics capabilities, so your built in graphics (an Intel product) will be fine. The 24-bit graphics means that the card will support 8-bits per each colour channel, which is fine for sRGB compliant screens. The usual recommendation is that 30-bit graphics (10-bits per channel), which is pretty standard for discrete graphics cards, should be used for AdobeRGB compliant screens.

One other consideration; unless your computer screen is sRGB compliant (or Adobe RGB compliant for some higher end screens), profiling the screen will not give you the full colour space. One can safely assume that unless the specs / literature that came with your screen states 100% sRGB or 99+% Adobe RGB compliance, the screen will not reproduce all colours accurately, even after profiling.

The other thing to note is that the recommendation is that screen brightness should be set to between 80 candela / sq meter and 120 candela / square meter for image editing work.

I am reposting this in case it helps anyone on PressF1 (as it has me!)