PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Edge Icon

Driftwood
17-05-2018, 07:01 PM
On SWMBO's laptop the Edge taskbar icon has been invisible for several Months.
Still works if you click on the empty space.
Stayed that way through all the last updates.
Thought the 1803 one may have cured it, but no
I could put a little sticker on the screen over the spot.

CliveM
17-05-2018, 08:16 PM
Try right click on the invisible Edge icon and select Remove. Then go back into Start, right click on it there and select Pin to Taskbar. That works on my visible one so it is worth a try.

Driftwood
17-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Sounds like it might work.
But what happens is, the other icons in that area close ranks and the new one goes to the end of the line, invisible.

CliveM
17-05-2018, 09:04 PM
Ok try Right click on the Edge Icon in the Start menu, select More and then App settings, scroll down to Reset and try the Repair option and if that doesn't do the trick try the Reset option.

I have never seen an invisible icon (obviously) :) but if none of that helps one of our more expert members may have something else to try.

catspyjamas
17-05-2018, 09:05 PM
I had that with a couple of store apps pinned to my start menu after they received an update. I found right clicking on the icon & re-sizing it, then doing the same again back to the size I want, returned them all to normal. (That said, I didn't have the issue you describe where another goes blank in it's place).

wainuitech
17-05-2018, 09:43 PM
You can try rebuilding the Icon cache

1st step, show hidden folders, Open C Drive from "View" - On the right tick Hidden Items.

Navigate to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local Scroll down to the end of the folders, locate IconCache.db

Delete IconCache.db Restart the computer, it should auto rebuild. Sometimes works sometimes doesn't.

Driftwood
17-05-2018, 10:19 PM
No, rebuilding the icon cache didn't help.
Edge icons anywhere else appear normal, just not on the task bar.
The IE icon will show.