PDA

View Full Version : Win10 doesn't recognise my Note5

bk T
17-05-2018, 09:14 AM
After the recent Win10 Update, my PC is having 'difficulties' in recognising my Note5 phone. Whenever I plug in the phone thru the USB cable, it charges the phone OK but fails to recognise it doesn't show up in Win Explorer. Initially, it was 'trying' very hard, making repeated 'ding dong' noises. but since yesterday, it doesn't even make those noises anymore. Still charging, however.

Any suggestions?

wainuitech
17-05-2018, 09:54 AM
Don't know about the Note5 but on my Samsung when you plug in a USB to the computer you have to pull down a menu from the top and tap the USB Connect.

bk T
17-05-2018, 10:15 AM
It used to connect automatically.

wainuitech
17-05-2018, 11:13 AM
So did mine but after some updates (either the phone or Windows, or both, cant remember now) it then didn't. Once I reactivated it, it worked again.

May or may not be the case with the Note5, but cant hurt to check.

making repeated 'ding dong' noises If its repeating that can indicate its connecting / disconnecting. Got another cable to try or try another USB port ?

For ages mine wouldn't connect Via the front ports, then after a upgrade it now does. Have a look in Device manager, see if any USB ports are Expanded showing a problem.

bk T
17-05-2018, 01:45 PM
i did all those, changed USB port, changed USB cables, etc.

Question: 1. Upgrade what?

2. Reactivated what?

wainuitech
17-05-2018, 02:25 PM
i did all those, changed USB port, changed USB cables, etc.

Question: 1. Upgrade what?

2. Reactivated what? The phone and PC had upgrades /updates at various times. Got 23 sitting on the phone now wanting to install.

reactivate - I mean had to pull down the menu and allow it to reconnect it again.

Yours may be different, but on the Samsung phone I had to go into Apps/Settings/More/Developer Options /Turn on Debugging.

On the Samsung Tablet, had a similar problem, Solution 3 was the answer in that case https://www.jihosoft.com/android-tips/windows-10-cannot-recognize-android.html

NOTE: depending on Version of Android the settings may be listed differently.

Work through the solutions hopefully one will work, as I mentioned, the Tablet and phone both had problems but the fixes were different :)

bk T
18-05-2018, 12:00 PM
Thanks, wainuitech, although not much luck.

Here may be a clue:

The phone is plugged in (no recognition by Win10) - only charging; at this stage, when I Re-start my PC, the boot up locks at "Please press Del or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS settings." it locks at that screen, I couldn't do anything, not responding to the Keyboard, mouse. As soon as the phone is plugged out, the PC starts up as normal.

I have the latest version of BIOS installed except the Beta version.

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A

zqwerty
18-05-2018, 12:22 PM
The first thing to eliminate is a faulty cable, it's a vulnerable item and could cause problems like this. It could still charge and the clock or data line be faulty.

Also make sure the socket in the phone is clean, blow it out. Fluff from pockets often causes problems.

18-05-2018, 12:43 PM
making repeated 'ding dong' noises.

sounds like a hardware issue .
Try on another PC. Try a cable tested & working on another device

Even brand new USB cables can be faulty . Ive been caught out by that, assuming my brand new cable was good . It passed power but didnt correctly pass data.

See if the phone shows up in Win Device manager. Try the Samsung software & if if that connects to the ph. See if theres a new driver on the Samsung website

bk T
18-05-2018, 01:49 PM
Same cable, plugged in to a Win7 laptop works just fine!

bk T
20-05-2018, 11:01 AM
It's driving me crazy.

Will buy a new USB cable to try out. Do I need to buy a genuine Samsung cable or just any USB cable from EBay or AliEpress?

Cheers

wainuitech
20-05-2018, 11:20 AM
Can you check one setting-- In Search type in Autoplay Open it, on the left, Autoplay - check what they are set to, you can try changing the settings for both Removable Drive and Memory card Via the drop down boxes.

"IF" autoplay is off that will cause it not to open.

Also under USB, what is selected, the only option here is

bk T
20-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Here are my autoplay settings:

dugimodo
20-05-2018, 02:55 PM
Any cable should do. I tried to see if I had the same problem but I don't. My Note 5 and windows 10 work together exactly as they always have so at least you know it can work even if that doesn't help actually fix it.

bk T
20-05-2018, 03:57 PM
It used to work as it should; only once about a year ago (similar problem) and I phoned Samsung for help. They told me to restart my phone and it worked! But not this time! Warranty has expired.

As I mentioned above, it works fine with the same cable on friend's Win7 laptop.

wainuitech
20-05-2018, 04:27 PM
Try changing the Autoplay options to Ask me Everytime.

21-05-2018, 10:07 AM
...... or just any USB cable from EBay or AliEpress?

only if you want to risk buying flaky USB cables :)
Thats the mistake I made .

Sounds like its not the cable anyway.

bk T
21-05-2018, 10:49 AM
only if you want to risk buying flaky USB cables :)
Thats the mistake I made .

Sounds like its not the cable anyway.

Care to share the mistake you made?

manuokcz
26-05-2018, 07:43 PM
Check Device Manager and see if there was a yellow mark on the device name.