PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Updates

rumpty
16-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Do people still agonise these days about having control of W10 updates?

There's wushowhide.diagcab, changing the Ethernet connection to metered, and, looking at tenforums, other methods that I haven't come across before.

Or do we forget about all this control, and just let the updates happen, as Microsoft decides? Perhaps excepting driver updates.

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2018, 12:53 PM
Used to use wushowhide. Because it kept trying to install my printer drivers. After I had installed them.

But, with the later updates / versions of Win10, it stopped doing it

If I didnt block them, I couldn't install any updates at all. Because the printer drivers kept looping / going round in circles. And go nowhere

I just change it to unmetered. I dont use Ethernet tho, I use wireless

One annoying thing is Nvidia drivers. The latest drivers (if I do a clean install) dont install. The previous version installs.

Then I have to kill the Nvidia update program (thats running in the taskbar), before I try and uninstall / install the latest version of the drivers.

Because it keeps running (even if I quit it).

But everything else works fine (I don't bother with installing LAN, Audio, or my wireless drivers). The drivers Win10 installs, work fine

wainuitech
16-05-2018, 01:00 PM
Some are paranoid, the evil company LOL.

Depending on what version of W10 you have depends on how much control over updates you have. The pro version gives you a lot more options, the Home version, think of it as the poor cousin ;). Some of the suggestions to disable updates in W10 work some don't.Some suggestions what they don't tell you is the trouble it can cause.

You hear about people complaining about restarts in the middle of doing something, well that's because they cant be bothered changing settings from default to suit their needs.
Even the latest upgrade, it wont auto restart if its within the Active hours, when it finishes downloading a ruddy great pop up appears that you have to click on, you cant help but see it, there are options to restart now or delay or set a time that suits, choice is up-to you.

A high percentage of people leave the active Hours as set by the default, this might be because they simply don't know how to change them, or not allowed ( business lock downs handled by admins, and some of them don't know either ;) ). It can be set to times being used.

rumpty
16-05-2018, 01:41 PM
I do have W10 Pro, thank goodness. I must review the Active Hours thing though, as you suggest.

I have just reinstalled W10, using 1709. I thought it was about time I moved up from 1607. Used my old 1607 Nvidia driver!

Hence these thoughts about how to keep an eye on Windows Updates.

Thanks.

wainuitech
16-05-2018, 02:31 PM
I do have W10 Pro, thank goodness. I must review the Active Hours thing though, as you suggest.

I have just reinstalled W10, using 1709. I thought it was about time I moved up from 1607. Used my old 1607 Nvidia driver!

Hence these thoughts about how to keep an eye on Windows Updates.

Thanks. If you have pro, you have more control.

To set what you want, open "Updates and security" - Advanced Options ( middle of page) under Pause updates are the options, set to what you want, under that you can defer other types for up-to 365 days.

You can also alter quite a few more in gpedit.msc "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update"

Note: these options are not available in the home Editions

piroska
16-05-2018, 05:33 PM
Do people still agonise these days about having control of W10 updates?

Browsing forums on the net, yes they do.
In my house, no-one is bothered anymore. :devil

b....
16-05-2018, 08:49 PM
We have both home and pro versions. I don't do anything to stop W10 updates being downloaded and installed. So far we have had no major problems with any updates. We have only had the odd niggle that seems to come right after a few days. W10 pro on our ex-lease HTPC updated to the new 1803 version over the weekend without any issues.

mzee
16-05-2018, 08:50 PM
I normally have auto updates disabled. Two weeks ago I updated for the first time since v1709 to v1803. What a waste of time, just added bloat and messed up some of my software. I have gone back to v1709 which does everything I need. I can not see the point of 'upgrading' if what I have does the job. I think that Windows should be available in modules, so you could install what you need. For instance, if you only need to work online, and do spread sheets, and word processing you would only need a small, fast OS. You should be able to add or remove modules at any time according to current requirements.

pcuser42
16-05-2018, 11:03 PM
Updated my desktop to 1803 and had no issues. Finally the emoji panel works too :D