PDA

View Full Version : Win 10 Low Disc Space notification

Chikara
15-05-2018, 11:03 PM
Hi all,

Since I did the last Windows 10 (64bit) feature update last week, I've been getting a balloon message warning of low disc space, than I never had before. It's very annoying.
The weird thing is the drive is H drive, which I am quite sure I have never had partitioned on my system before (or if it was, it was previously hidden from My Computer, but now is visible).

It says I have 47MB out of 449MB,and no files are present when I look via explorer. If I use the partition tool, it shows as a OEM Partition. Will attach screenshot of partition details.
This is even more strange, because this system was installed directly by me, Win 10 was installed directly and there is no manufacturers recovery partition on it.

I suppose it's possible some other software created this around the same time as I did the Win update, but that would be a big coincidence and I'm usually carefuly about what software I install. Virus check is clean.

One other thing, I do have Oracle Virtualbox, and recently when booting Win 10 inside VirtualBox, that instance of Win 10 did crash and go into a recovery mode screen (Win 10 inside VirtualBox I mean, not Virtual box itself or my main Win 10 install). I did not proceed with the recovery though. (The cause of this was a recent BIOS update that turned off virtualisation which I since re-enabled) So maybe that somehow created this partition?

I disconnected my printer and mouse to make sure somehow it wasn't recognising that as a drive.

So, my questions:
- How can I confirm exactly what this partition is for?
- How can I fix or delete it safely - Is it even possible?
- If not, can I safely extend the size of it a little bit to stop this annoying message? I guess I would have to do via boot disc utility, GParted or similar?

I have read about a registry hack to turn off the message totally, but I would rather not do a reg hack.

Thanks in advance

PS - Specs:
Win 10 64 bit, fullu updated.
Main drive: C is SSD; D is DVD drive, also have two other physical HD's E and F for Data and other Apps.

jackthelad
16-05-2018, 01:22 AM
Well, I use MiniTool Partition Wizard for such purposes and it works out fine, but you should be focused when installing it - one wrong move and lots of useless crap are installed

Chikara
16-05-2018, 02:16 AM
Hmm, after more Googling I found this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_files-insiderplat_pc/oem-partition-suddenly-visible-insider-preview/bcf6aa30-30f5-4995-9919-84ee96492e38

Seems some other people have also had a recovery partition suddenly appear after the recent Windows update...

16-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Brand name PC's & laptops have crazy arsed partitioning: HD's split in 2, up to 5 partitions , non standard partition order (like yours ) etc
Its not win that did this.

Del at your own risk , you may screw things up as its the 1st partition (it seems)

Try this to remove the low space warning
https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/555622/how-to-remove-the-low-disk-space-warning

wainuitech
16-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Theres a safe way to remove and really simple. Easy to put back as well if required.

on some PC's there is another recovery partition created during the upgrade, it should have been invisible but in some cases it isn't.

As long as you're not worried about the tiny amount of space used. Assuming its drive H you want to remove /change:

open a Command prompt as Admin type in mountvol H: /D {Press Enter} that's it :) drives now gone, well hidden any way.

If there is a different Drive letter change H to what ever it is.

If you ever need it back you can either put a letter on Via partitioning software or Via Disk Management.

If at a later stage you decide to remove it completely as nothing went wrong, then remove it with partitioning software or Via Disk Management. By simply removing the drive letter there's a safety "just in case" and can be put back, removing it completely - its gone and a lot of possible work to repair.

Chikara
17-05-2018, 04:07 AM
Thank you for the tips.
As this seems to have occurred during the recent Win update, and other users have reported the same issue, I might wait a little while and see if MS rolls out a patch. If not I will try Wainui's suggestion.

dugimodo
18-05-2018, 02:47 PM
I just updated my windows and a new drive letter (G: ) popped up and started giving me low space errors. Sound familiar?
It's a 450M OEM partition and it must be standard because this PC was built by me and windows 10 installed fresh onto a blank SSD. Why windows has decided to give it a letter is anyones guess.
Anyway I used Diskpart and removed the drive letter and it seems to be ok now.

I can't guarantee my way is correct but if you want to try it:
use windows powershell as admin by right clicking the start button and choosing that option

Use these commands

Diskpart
List disk
Select disk 0 (be careful you get the right one here)
List partition
Select partition 1 (again be careful to choose the right one)
Detail partition (just to check again not really necessary)
Remove

I have a strong suspicion this just does exactly what Wainuitech already suggested using a single command line, but I was in diskpart to see what the partition detail said so I did it while I was there.

wainuitech
18-05-2018, 06:52 PM
I have a strong suspicion this just does exactly what Wainuitech already suggested using a single command line, but I was in diskpart to see what the partition detail said so I did it while I was there. Not quite :)

Diskpart actually removes the partition completely, you can then resize / enlarge the partition next to it to fill the now blank area. As you will have found out there's no "are you sure" message.

The command I suggested only hides the partition. (removes the drive letter).

The idea behind only removing the letter and hiding is if something plays up you can always put it back, but with diskpart --Zooooom its gone.

dugimodo
19-05-2018, 12:02 PM
The remove command in diskpart does not remove the partition, just the drive letter. The partition is still there.

wainuitech
19-05-2018, 03:38 PM
The remove command in diskpart does not remove the partition, just the drive letter. The partition is still there.

Sorry never saw the "Remove" option. Normally "clean" is the one used a lot.

Ofthesea
21-05-2018, 09:38 PM
I got a low disk space message but its probably due to the size of the update. I had to do some overdue cleanup and now everything is fine.

Chikara
21-05-2018, 11:33 PM
If that's on your main C drive, I think it's a different thing. What I had, and dugimodo (and after browsing the net, seems others too), was Windows created a brand new 450MB OEM partition with the recent update, gave it a drive letter and didn't tidy it up with the update process, which then promptly gave the low disc space warning just on that partition.
I was going to wait and see if MS rolled out a fix with the next update, but I got so annoyed by the warnings I followed wainui's instructions, worked perfectly.