PDA

View Full Version : Nod & Defender

Driftwood
13-05-2018, 12:30 PM
Just been tidying up a HP laptop for a friend.
It has Nod32 running & also Defender.
Are they happy running together now, or is it still best to disable Defender.
I have always done this in the past.

14-05-2018, 09:54 AM
Just been tidying up a HP laptop for a friend.
It has Nod32 running & also Defender.
Are they happy running together now, or is it still best to disable Defender.
I have always done this in the past.

NOD32 should have disabled defender ....

NEVER have 2 AV's running at the same time.
If they find malware , they will fight each other . One will want to clean & they other will block access , so malware wont get cleaned.

gary67
14-05-2018, 10:34 AM
I don't think it does disable it anymore, defender has been on here for months yet Nod is still also active and updated itself recently. It doesn't cause me any problems.

Driftwood
14-05-2018, 06:08 PM
I don't think it does disable it anymore, defender has been on here for months yet Nod is still also active and updated itself recently. It doesn't cause me any problems.

Thats what I was thinking, hence the query.

wratterus
14-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Defender is more than just 'Microsoft's Antivirus' now - think of it as a security centre with has an AV component. When a separate AV is installed, the AV part of Defender will be disabled (all going well) and should look like this....

piroska
14-05-2018, 08:45 PM
defender has been on here for months yet Nod is still also active . It doesn't cause me any problems.
Can't comment on the Win10 version, but my guess is that's because it's useless. It used to be anyway.

15-05-2018, 10:42 AM
You can happily have 2 AV's running at the same time. Seen it plenty of times.

Its not an issue untill the PC gets infected . Then the 2 av's will literally block each other from cleaning up, leaving the PC infected
One will be trying to clean/del a infected files, the other will see file access on an infected file & block it. So the PC stays infected

Its not an issue untill they need to do their job.

Historically, MS have a woefull record with their AV products. The detection rate is too inconsistent, long term.

dugimodo
16-05-2018, 11:01 AM
I think all the comments I see about defender being useless and MS having a poor AV record are kind of missing the point of these products.
For a short while MS attempted to stay in the AV game and keep up with everyone else and at the time MSE got very good reviews (on older windows you have defender for malware and MSE as an optional free anti virus, from WIN 8 onwards they are combined into defender)

After a while though MS decided it took too much time and resources to compete with the experts in the AV field and re positioned defender as a baseline defence to ensure anyone running windows had at least SOME defence against viruses and malware.
Before then a surprising number of people just never bothered to use anything and tended to get horribly infected quite frequently.

The last few times I looked at comparsion tests Defender was one of the worse performing products yes, but it still caught 80-90% or more of all malware and viruses and pretty much all of the common ones. That's not my personal definition of useless, just not as useful as NOD32 for example. If you want the best possible protection then you have to pay for it, but if you do nothing at least you are not totally un protected.

As already mentioned, with defender integrated into windows like it is it doesn't completely get disabled any more, it just stops doing the antivirus part of it's job when something else is installed.

16-05-2018, 11:36 AM
I think all the comments I see about defender being useless and MS having a poor AV record are kind of missing the point of these products.

True, its a better than nothing sort of thing.
But thats not how MS present it.

And in the real world , malware gets past everything. NOD32, Defender, KAV, NAV . Malware gets past it all.
Cleanup 2 days later is not the same as prevention/blocking :) Products good at cleanup arnt allways good at prevention.

Also, AV that doesnt scan email or basic website/internet scanning is only a 50% sort of product.
They would be the 2 more common vectors for infection , for home/small business users.

And ~at risk~ users are going to get infected PC's regardless. Its the nut behind the wheel .
Click that popup, open that scam email. Install that program . :)

mzee
16-05-2018, 09:08 PM
I have just won a battle with Defender! It was interfering with my Malwarebytes. Even when Defender is visibly disabled it still scans in the background which not only slows things down, but interferes with other software. I eventually removed it by deleting all the Defender files & folders with the help of Linux. Works fine.

wainuitech
16-05-2018, 09:43 PM
I have just won a battle with Defender! It was interfering with my Malwarebytes. Even when Defender is visibly disabled it still scans in the background which not only slows things down, but interferes with other software. I eventually removed it by deleting all the Defender files & folders with the help of Linux. Works fine. Something was not working right then. Malwarebytes if written correctly should have turned off defender so they don't clash. All the others work fine in disabling defender, Nod, NAV, Trend, McAfee, Avast.

17-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Something was not working right then. Malwarebytes if written correctly should have turned off defender so they don't clash. All the others work fine in disabling defender, Nod, NAV, Trend, McAfee, Avast.

Perhaps its because the free Mbytes is a manual scan only. So Defender would still be needed as a background/on access scanner
just a guess

wainuitech
17-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Perhaps its because the free Mbytes is a manual scan only. So Defender would still be needed as a background/on access scanner
just a guess Very well could be. I have been told by several of my customers whom had the free Malwarebytes installed that after it updated it then goes to a Payed trial for 14 days, after that reverts back to the free version. Then it bugs you to buy the full version ( so I'm told)

mzee
17-05-2018, 04:39 PM
My Malwarebytes is the Professional v3.2.2, no need for a separate antivirus, works very well.