PDA

View Full Version : laptop mobile internet connection

14-01-2002, 08:49 AM
I would like opinions on the best way to connect my laptop to the net via some form of mobile connection. ie cellphone or satelite
any advice on what provides the best coverage and the best method would be appreciated

14-01-2002, 10:48 PM
I would purchase a mobile phone with an infrared port on it.. thats if your laptop has an IR port, which most do these days... then all than needs to be done is the instead of setting up the dialup adaptor to use the modem you configure it to use the IR port instead... place the mobile phone with its IR port facing the laptops IR port and you are away..

16-01-2002, 05:40 PM
The best way at present would be to get a CDMA cellphone with a serial cable. CDMA has the best coverage and the best rates for wireless data. It is packet based so you pay for usage, not for time. You can see the rates on the Telecom website, but for example, you can get 12MB a month for $25 a month. 1MB for $5 per month.
Your preferred Telecom supplier should be able to tell you how to do it.

16-01-2002, 05:42 PM
I agree that it is easy, however IrDA uses a lot of power and will quickly flatten the batteries of both your cellphone and your laptop. Serial connecttion is better.