PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 v1803 - Can't browse Internet with any browser

chiefnz
10-05-2018, 08:19 PM
Ok so this is a weird one.

So before going to bed last night I installed the 1803 update, got up this morning and everything seemed fine with the install and no issues encountered there.

Restarted the machine and logged in without any hassle.
Checked email no problem.
RSS feed for Stuff.co.nz was coming through fine via my Rainmeter widget.
Opened Firefox Quantum and after about 2 minutes get a "cannot connect" error.
Did a DNS flush restarted the PC, changed from a static to a DHCP address and tried again but same issue.
Checked the modem and rebooted it but all is fine there, the Mrs isn't complaining about no Internet access and all other PC's (Windows 10 v1709) are having no issues, the Internet speed is fine and the same for all the mobile phones, Android and Apple.
Ran TRACERT and no problem there results were as expected.
Ran a torrent client and downloaded a random movie, no problem there speed was fine (4Mbps+)
Ran Firefox again... still the same problem.
Tried MS Edge, IE and Chrome and they all exhibited the exact same behaviour as Firefox... totally stumped at this point, clearly I have access to the Internet but cannot get on the web using any browser.

I did a few Wireshark captures with all the browsers and there are multiple TCP RST packets being sent from my computer as well as the Internet routers along the path to the website (google.com in this case).
The RST packets are expected given that it looks like all 3 browsers weren't completing the TLS handshake correctly or on time but they definitely start the TLS handhshake process but then it looks like it isn't finishing for some reason which then leads to the "cannot connect" error.

So I then rolled back to v1709 and BOOM everything works fine on all browsers.... WTF!!!

I have deferred updates for 60 days under Settings in the meantime.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Bryan
10-05-2018, 08:34 PM
There seems to be a problem with Intel machines and 1803. There is discussion elsewhere in the Forum. Sorry I can't point you to it at present.

R.M.
11-05-2018, 09:54 AM
There is!

I can open the first page in Stuff in Internet Explorer, but nothing further down on Stuff will open. When I attempt to open a item there is a quick flick of what it is, and then it disappears. Links from IE are just fine, with all drills down working ok.

Edge and Firefox both seem to be ok.

11-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Edge and Firefox both seem to be ok.

Theres your answer.

Internet Explorer is pretty much abandoned in 10 by MS, hence they try & hide it in Win10 : "discontinued"
MS should just get rid of it completely in 10 now.

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Dont think the prob is with Intel machines. I did a clean install of 1803 on 2 Intel systems here. And updated to 1803 on the other (didnt do a clean install)

All 3 are fine with 1803. How is it connected (so it can get online)? It looks like some people have had probs with Intel network adapters

bk T
11-05-2018, 10:53 AM
My 2 Intel machines here work fine, too.

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Since none of the browsers work, I would check the ip address under the network adapter. See if it's a valid ip

11-05-2018, 01:06 PM
"Edge and Firefox both seem to be ok. "
:)

re the 'issues' with INTEL & 1803.
Not every intel device is affected.
Some Intel SSDs definite issues , possibly some Intel chips/drivers have issues ??? .

MS are releasing some fixes
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4103721/windows-10-update-kb4103721

linw
11-05-2018, 02:57 PM
Interestingly, that KB fixed the Chrome IPv6 issue I was having on one comp as reported in earlier posts. Was an issue with the Intel adaptor it seems.

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Another thing that'll stop you connecting to the net is if someone accidentally clicked or selected airplane mode. If it shows an airplane icon, on the taskbar, change it

mzee
11-05-2018, 09:04 PM
I only "updated" one machine to V1803. No serious problems, but some software problems. There were no advantages to be had for me, added some bloat which I do not want. I replaced it with an image of the original system. I believe that "if it aint broke, don't fix it"!