PDA

View Full Version : What Ryzen CPU shopud I go for?

Digby
08-05-2018, 09:21 PM
Hello, I am a dyed in the wool AMD supporter.
I am planning an upgrading an old PC (5 or 6 years old)
I want to get a Ryzen CPU, and a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM
I don't play games, just Office, Internet and watching videos.
Should I go for just a basic one
Or say the 3 with built in graphics
Or should I spend more and get a Ryzen 5
Bearing in mind that I will probably need to do the same in 5 years time!

Nomad
09-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Kinda is how long is the piece of string question.

I recently got a Ryzen 2400G because it has builtin graphics. I was able to play some games including Rainbow 6 - Wilderness at 720 settings with 40 or 50 fps. So I guess it is OK for casual gaming. If you need higher you're prob need a dedicated graphics anyway like a Nvidia 1060 at least. A note that the other Ryzens don't have builtin graphics.

For myself I found that I don't game much now so wished I got a Intel i7 or Ryzen 7 for my photo processing prob 2 or 3 years later.

For gaming even the 2400G with a 1060 card is pretty good for games if that is all you do. Again YMMV but it's definitely playable. If it was games and you were open to Intel as well, the Intel i7 8700K with a graphics card is prob better with all the Youtube videos I have seen that they have benchmarked. The Intel 8700k does better for games than the 2nd gen 2018 Ryzen 7 2600/2700X. The Ryzen like the 2017 versions does better than Intel if you do mostly multi thread software like Adobe Premiere, Audio/Video encoding etc. For that reason for myself I might be going from my 2400G to an Intel in 3yrs time. :) I seldom use Photoshop, more Lightroom but Lightroom from what I read is less multi thread. Plus the other normal things I do on my computer.

My 2 cents.

wratterus
09-05-2018, 10:28 AM
I've done a couple of builds with Ryzen now - my thoughts are the lower end stuff is pretty meh.

You're better off with 8th gen Intel i3 if you are thinking of going with something like a Ryzen 3 2200. However the higher end processors are pretty impressive. The Ryzen 5 1600 is an absolute beast for the price, but you do need a graphics card with it.

If your price range is not huge, then a 2400G is still good value for money, but not an outstanding CPU.

For general day to day 'stuff', productivity etc, the 1600 is amazing. I'm not sure exactly what it is, I think it's all the L3 cache. A build with the 1600, or 1600X, with a good NVMe SSD like the Samsung Evo 860....you'd be blown away.

Nomad
09-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Kinda is how long is the piece of string question.

Edited ooops I thought u said you wanted it for games. I just got a 2400G Ryzen and it does that kinda stuff. I guess for me I do some photo processing so I wished some more grunt.

To me is the 2200G and 2400G are both OK, good affordable choices. The 2400G provides 10fps more for games but you don't game. However the 2200G is also $150 instead of $250. The 2200G (Ryzen 3) and 2400G (Ryzen 5) both have builtin video. The other Ryzens don't have builtin graphics so you need to buy a video card.

I found out I don't game but the 2400G can play some casual gaming I tried the trial of Rainbow 6 Wildnerness at medium quality, able to get 40 or so frames.

Of course if you want something snappier it's the Intel i7 8700k. When you look at the more expensive Ryzens even the 2018 version. The Ryzen tends to be better with multi thread software but gaming and usual software the Intel is still better. The Intels have builtin graphics.

Also note that apart from the 2200/2400G, if you get a 2018 Ryzen 5 or 7 like a 2600(X) or 2700(X) they work with previous motherboards but with a new build you might want a 2018 motherboard with the new chipset but they cost more.

Nomad
09-05-2018, 10:43 AM
I've done a couple of builds with Ryzen now - my thoughts are the lower end stuff is pretty meh.

You're better off with 8th gen Intel i3 if you are thinking of going with something like a Ryzen 3 2200. However the higher end processors are pretty impressive. The Ryzen 5 1600 is an absolute beast for the price, but you do need a graphics card with it.

If your price range is not huge, then a 2400G is still good value for money, but not an outstanding CPU.

For general day to day 'stuff', productivity etc, the 1600 is amazing. I'm not sure exactly what it is, I think it's all the L3 cache. A build with the 1600, or 1600X, with a good NVMe SSD like the Samsung Evo 860....you'd be blown away.

$10 more, the Ryzen 2600 2018 version.

dugimodo
09-05-2018, 11:36 AM
For the uses you mention pretty much any of them.

I'd suggest the best thing is to get an SSD and then see how much budget you have left, as that's the thing most likely to make everything seem snappy compared to the old machine.

As a starting point maybe something like
2200G
8GB RAM
256 GB SSD (or your preference)

If you wanted to spend a bit more the 2400G or 2600(with a graphics card) would be the next two steps.

Something to be careful of with the newer Ryzen 2xxx chips is the older/cheaper motherboards around may need a BIOS update to support them but as Nomad hinted at there's not much point going for the older 1600 now that the 2600 exists.

SP8s
09-05-2018, 04:13 PM
Hello, I am a dyed in the wool AMD supporter

Well as far as I know, Ryzen is a new generation of sheep drench for the "dyed in the wool" fratenity.

Just go for the longest number and the highest price ... not a wucking furry and all's good 'till the next drench mate ... :nerd: