PDA

View Full Version : Problems updating to Windows 10 - Version 1803

R.M.
08-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Yesterday I happily updated my laptop (Windows 10 Pro 64 bit) to Version 1803. Then I tried to do the same to my desktop (also Windows 10 Pro 64 bit). And I am having difficulty doing this successfully. I have tried 3 times so far. It (again) tells me that it is ready to update and restart. It dickers around at the stage of have the Window sitting on the screen and I am forced to do a hard start (ie lean on the off button for 10secs).

It also suggests that I reset this PC. I am quite nervous about doing that, as I have a lot of programmes on this PC, do lots of photography/photography club stuff on it. The lappy is really only for using when I am away from home, and mostly for presentations at the Camera Club.

I should point out that I have programmes only on C Drive - everything else is on another partitioned or external drive. I do have a do have an Active Disc Image (but this is November 2014).

I welcome suggestions - encouragement or whatever! All will be received with thanks. :)

08-05-2018, 05:23 PM
Suggestions: yep.
Dont upgrade that PC to 1083.
Since its failing to install, just skip 1803 , for now at least.

Its not a must have and there are some bugs that MS still needs to sort out (Most installs are issue free though)

If you must, trying the update from a ISO burnt to DVD (download from MS) ,
or a wipe & clean install will do the trick (usually) . :)

wainuitech
08-05-2018, 05:31 PM
1st thing you SHOULD be doing is backup the current drive.

2nd depending on the motherboard, some have reported if you go into the BIOS -- in bios: Advance -->Chipset -->Intel VT-d

Disable VT-d the install works fine after that.

MS should be bringing out the Official release tomorrow, it will have the updated cumulative updates include ( or is meant to)

R.M.
08-05-2018, 05:52 PM
It isn't as simple as 1101 suggests. The update is 'partially' completed, but when a restart is required - it all goes to custard and isn't completed - so - the update doesn't show or is able to be deleted. I DO have a ISO of Windows 10 (just have to find it...).

I think I might leave well alone for the moment - I am going to the movies tonight (The Breaker Upperers) - should be good, and will stop me fiddling in dangerous territory!

And I have found my copy of Windows 10 (on a DVD)...

Do you think that any Official release will help me? Or have I traveled too far into dangerous territory for that to be useful?

wainuitech
08-05-2018, 06:17 PM
If its a older copy of Windows 10 (the dvd) it wont be of any use unless you want to completely reinstall from fresh and lose everything on the drive. You cant do a repair install like you could with XP. You can do a refresh, but that sometimes wipes everything as well (depending on the problem)

As I posted earlier, some sites (other forums) the common fix for this problem as I posted earlier: This is assuming your motherboard has intel chipsets.

From The insiders Forum:

I have the same problem. Windows 1803 will not boot and hangs at the splash screen.
I disconnected everything and even disconnected all the HDs in my computer and the disc will not boot either (also hangs at splash screen without the spinning circle). Computer is 100% frozen. CTRL+ALT+DEL won't work and pressing num lock will not toggle the light.

Hard rebooted the system and went into the bios to disable VT-d and now Windows Spring Creators Update (1803) boots without freezing from the disc and from rebooting after installing through the existing Windows install.

Hope this solves people's boot issue, and hopefully Microsoft will fix this issue soon!

R.M.
08-05-2018, 06:32 PM
That sounds like me. But I will check the specs of the mother board. And not do anything until tomorrow (I will have to try any thing to prevent doing housework!).

R.M.
09-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Just reporting back!

I dutifully did a back-up of C Drive, checked the chip set manufacturer (and found what I thought I remembered...), looked at the start/restart options and found that the option to 'download and restart' option was missing - so tentatively turned the machine off and stood at a distance (it might jump at me, or explode :) ), and then turned it on again - and lo, and behold, and blessings all around - there were no problems!

Hooray - and thanks to both of you for hand-holding at a distance. It is truly appreciated.

R.M.
09-05-2018, 07:10 PM
Just checked Winver - and no, it isn't sorted. :(

R.M.
09-05-2018, 09:34 PM
I've done all that you suggested in Reply 3, and all is going well. But I am not yet updated to the latest version of Windows. It doesn't matter, but will it sort itself out do you think?

I have great faith in you, Wainui. You have me meddling in the Registry, and now grotting around in Bios. Whatever next? :)

R.M.
10-05-2018, 05:43 PM
After a very protracted period of time -Version 1803 is installed safely. The only thing I quickly notice is that IE has gone ( I know, I know - but I preferred their layout for Stuff News).

Am I able now to reverse 'BIOS -- in bios: Advance -->Chipset -->Intel VT-d Disable VT-d' or is it better to leave well alone?

R.M.
10-05-2018, 06:05 PM
IE has gone - found it!