PDA

View Full Version : Random freeze & problem with rebooting

ShippedAway
08-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Hello guys, my problems started yesterday. While browsing internet mouse n keyboard froze, so i rebooted and my cpu was shutting down and turning on all by itself several times and suddenly monitor went black and several rows of "spades symbol" appeared at the bottom of my monitor screen. Afterwards pc booted normally n i could use pc for few hours until mouse/keyboard froze again. I rebooted again hoping it would turn on but cpu kept shutting down/turning on and monitor could not connect to cpu showing " hdmi input signal not found" error. So i manually turned cpu off.
After an hour of break i booted my pc and it was working fine for several hours until mouse/ keyboard froze again.
I've checked all drivers/ updates. Scanned my pc ( found some malware removed them), done few other things related to power saving issues. But nothing is helping! What is actually wrong with my pc? Is it hardware/ software issue? Is my pc hacked? Please help, my pc has many important works nd client projects.I'm using windows 10 pro 64 bit.

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2018, 10:27 AM
What browser?? If it keeps shutting down, the CPU maybe overheating. And what version of windows 10 is it ?? The latest 1803 has caused probs on some computers

And whats the specs of this system?? Is it Intel? AMD? Nvidia drivers if you're using an Nvidia videocard, one of the drivers, caused loops.

I think Nvidia have released an update to fix this

Digby
08-05-2018, 09:17 PM
Yes, it can be so many things.
I get the odd random freeze
First I'd check you CPU fan to make sure its not clogged up with dust.
Second I would not do anything radical or major.

ShippedAway
09-05-2018, 01:45 AM
Yes, it can be so many things.
I get the odd random freeze
First I'd check you CPU fan to make sure its not clogged up with dust.
Second I would not do anything radical or major.

I have check my CPU fan an hour ago, it was a bit dusty i cleaned it. But my pc isn't turning on at all now. It's been over 12 hour i gave my pc rest.

ShippedAway
09-05-2018, 01:54 AM
What browser?? If it keeps shutting down, the CPU maybe overheating. And what version of windows 10 is it ?? The latest 1803 has caused probs on some computers

And whats the specs of this system?? Is it Intel? AMD? Nvidia drivers if you're using an Nvidia videocard, one of the drivers, caused loops.

I think Nvidia have released an update to fix this

I mostly use mozilla firefox. After i submitted my problem here i couldn't turn my pc on at all (monitor hdmi no signal error, and cpu auto shutdown problem). I'm not sure about the windows version. Can't even check now :(. It may be 1803.
My system specs are:
Intel processor core i5 6500 3.2Ghz 6mb cache

Gpu- Nvidia Geforce Gtx n750ti ( i updated driver yesterday before posting here and cpu worked for an hour or two after the update)

Ram- 8gb

Motherboard- gigabyte GA-h170m-d3hddr4 lga1151

gary67
09-05-2018, 07:27 AM
When you pres the power button does anything happen at all, lights, fan turn on? If not could be a dead Power supply

09-05-2018, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=ShippedAway;1276352
"spades symbol" appeared at the bottom of my monitor screen. [/QUOTE]

heck, its been so many years since Ive seen that happening on a PC

You need to be accurate & more informative with what youre telling us.
If we have to guess what youre describing you wont get usefull answers
As above, is it 100% dead, no fans, no lights ? Does it turn on then off straight away ?

Yes, its hardware.
Could be failing : Power supply, RAM, motherboard , video card , broken USB port (unlikely) etc
You'll need to swap parts to track down the cause : not really practical for a home user
If it wont turn on, best guess would be power supply or motherboard(less likely)

Try reseating the RAM, or move the RAM to another slot. Probably wont help but its worth a try.
If you motherboard also has onboard video, remove the Graphics card & try onboard vid port.
Remove the video card regardless & see if it then turns on & stays on (it may beep a few times because of no vid)

Disconnect the hard drive untill its more stable. You dont want to risk coruption from these ongoing issues while testing things

ShippedAway
09-05-2018, 11:38 AM
When you pres the power button does anything happen at all, lights, fan turn on? If not could be a dead Power supply
Yes, when i press the button it lights up as usual, and i hear the fan moving and the sounds that usually comes up. But then after few seconds, it all goes OFF, and then it turns on automatically and then again it turns off, like a loop.

ShippedAway
09-05-2018, 11:44 AM

As above, is it 100% dead, no fans, no lights ? Does it turn on then off straight away ?

Yes, its hardware.
Could be failing : Power supply, RAM, motherboard , video card , broken USB port (unlikely) etc
You'll need to swap parts to track down the cause : not really practical for a home user
If it wont turn on, best guess would be power supply or motherboard(less likely)

Try reseating the RAM, or move the RAM to another slot. Probably wont help but its worth a try.
If you motherboard also has onboard video, remove the Graphics card & try onboard vid port.
Remove the video card regardless & see if it then turns on & stays on (it may beep a few times because of no vid)

Disconnect the hard drive untill its more stable. You dont want to risk coruption from these ongoing issues while testing things

Sorry i tried my best to describe what's happening. It's not 100% dead which confuses me even more. After pressing start button on cpu, the lights, fan everything turns on like usual, but the monitor/mouse/keyboard doesn't work, after few seconds of turning on the cpu it shuts down automatically and again turns on auto and it keeps happening like a loop until i manually turn UPS off to turn off the cpu. [ Holding the start button doesn't work to shut it down after loop starts]
I will try to do the steps you mentioned and will reply again.

B.M.
09-05-2018, 04:28 PM
Sorry i tried my best to describe what's happening. It's not 100% dead which confuses me even more. After pressing start button on cpu, the lights, fan everything turns on like usual, but the monitor/mouse/keyboard doesn't work, after few seconds of turning on the cpu it shuts down automatically and again turns on auto and it keeps happening like a loop until i manually turn UPS off to turn off the cpu. [ Holding the start button doesn't work to shut it down after loop starts]
I will try to do the steps you mentioned and will reply again.

:confused: You wouldn't have the PSU and the CPU confused by some chance would you?

09-05-2018, 05:03 PM
:confused: You wouldn't have the PSU and the CPU confused by some chance would you?

he means the actual PC . Alot of people call the computer the "CPU" :)
some call it "that %#$&*(%$ thing"

"CPU" = "HD" = "computer box"

ShippedAway
09-05-2018, 07:44 PM

No, I meant CPU.

mzee
09-05-2018, 09:18 PM
Sounds to me that it could be doing a power check, then turning off when it fails. Unless you have access to another power pack your best bet is to take it to a repair shop for I diagnosis, and quote.

B.M.
10-05-2018, 07:41 AM
he means the actual PC . Alot of people call the computer the "CPU" :)
some call it "that %#$&*(%$ thing"

"CPU" = "HD" = "computer box"

Looks like I'd better brush up on my Te Reo. :crying

ShippedAway
10-05-2018, 01:48 PM
Sounds to me that it could be doing a power check, then turning off when it fails. Unless you have access to another power pack your best bet is to take it to a repair shop for I diagnosis, and quote.

You're right. I have to go to a repair shop.

wainuitech
10-05-2018, 02:24 PM
The good thing If you'd like to call it that, is its now doing it consistently, shouldn't be to hard to narrow it down to what's causing it.

ShippedAway
11-05-2018, 11:26 AM

Yes, its hardware.

Hi, first of all about the spades symbol showing thing, when it occurred i captured a picture of the screen, if you want i can show by uploading wherever you want me to.
Now about testing the parts here's what i did, step by step:
Day 1: I press the power button, it lights up, fans start moving but monitor/ mouse/ game pad/ keyboard nothing gets connected and cpu shuts down and turns on by itself [keeps happening with little pause for few seconds].
Day 2: I press the power button and everything is connected without any issue. I get to use my PC like nothing ever happened. So now i shut down the pc, opened the PC casing first , removed the hdd and pressed power button again. PC boots normally. I see a different screen which has all bios ino, chipset info etc, probably due to no hdd.
Then i reseated the Ram as you asked, PC booted normally.
I removed the GPU, booted the PC then the old problem started. CPU gets shut down, and turns on by itself where the monitor and other peripherals do not get connection.
I inserted the GPU again and booted and saw same problem.
I inserted HDD lastly, and booted and same problem. So in the end i couldn't identify what's wrong and pc doesn't get on. :(:(:(:(

wainuitech
11-05-2018, 12:34 PM
This is why you need to take it to a Service Repairer in what ever city you are located. Unless you have spare parts you can change out to test it could get very expensive by trial and error.

Going by your description there's 4 main components that may have failed.

Experienced guess --- in order.

1. Power Supply 2. Memory 3. Motherboard 4. CPU ( but doubt it, very uncommon)

Note: Ive excluded the GPU as you have said the problem was there without it.

There could be some other problem causing it, BUT the easiest ones are the PSU & Memory. If that's changed (one at a time) and it fires up and runs OK that's a good indicator of the problem.

To test the Memory you can download and run Memtest86 from a CD (under Windows downloads) https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

When you boot from the media you created and run the test if it turns red the memory has failed, tests can take over night or seconds. Last one I did on a customers PC with 16GB memory, ran for approx. 4 seconds then WHAM!!

11-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Also, check the USB ports. A damaged USB port can cause this sort of thing . Hardly ever happens but its
one of the easy things to check for.

Also , unplug everything (incl kb/mouse) leaving only monitor & power connected & see what happens . Unlikely to help , but its an easy test .

ShippedAway
13-05-2018, 05:50 AM
Also, check the USB ports. A damaged USB port can cause this sort of thing . Hardly ever happens but its
one of the easy things to check for.

Also , unplug everything (incl kb/mouse) leaving only monitor & power connected & see what happens . Unlikely to help , but its an easy test .

Hi, i checked all USB ports. They are undamaged. I sent my PC to a repair shop, they could run the PC but they haven't used it to the point when it hangs. So they are claiming my PC is alright but i know it isn't.

ShippedAway
13-05-2018, 05:52 AM
This is why you need to take it to a Service Repairer in what ever city you are located. Unless you have spare parts you can change out to test it could get very expensive by trial and error.

Going by your description there's 4 main components that may have failed.

Experienced guess --- in order.

1. Power Supply 2. Memory 3. Motherboard 4. CPU ( but doubt it, very uncommon)

Note: Ive excluded the GPU as you have said the problem was there without it.

There could be some other problem causing it, BUT the easiest ones are the PSU & Memory. If that's changed (one at a time) and it fires up and runs OK that's a good indicator of the problem.

To test the Memory you can download and run Memtest86 from a CD (under Windows downloads) https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

When you boot from the media you created and run the test if it turns red the memory has failed, tests can take over night or seconds. Last one I did on a customers PC with 16GB memory, ran for approx. 4 seconds then WHAM!!

I sent my PC to a repair shop, they could run the PC but they haven't used it to the point when it hangs. So they are claiming my PC is alright but i know it isn't.
Once i receive it, i will run the memory test as you asked.

wainuitech
13-05-2018, 09:51 PM
I sent my PC to a repair shop, they could run the PC but they haven't used it to the point when it hangs. So they are claiming my PC is alright but i know it isn't.
Once i receive it, i will run the memory test as you asked. Hang on !!!! ---- You mentioned its rebooting on startup in a sort of consistent fault. :confused:

I removed the GPU, booted the PC then the old problem started. CPU gets shut down, and turns on by itself where the monitor and other peripherals do not get connection.
I inserted the GPU again and booted and saw same problem.
I inserted HDD lastly, and booted and same problem.

"If" it does it again right away when it returns then the repair shop are a bunch of cowboys, or there is something external causing the problem. "Could" also be a actual power problem in your house.

Years ago when I put a UPS power Supply in a customers place as the computer kept failing but OK in my workshop, it went nuts with power spikes the moment I plugged it in.Thought it may have been faulty, so put in the spare I had, did the same thing. In the end an electrician was called and he said the wiring in the house was really BAD and needed replacing.

ShippedAway
14-05-2018, 12:15 AM
Hang on !!!! ---- You mentioned its rebooting on startup in a sort of consistent fault. :confused:

"If" it does it again right away when it returns then the repair shop are a bunch of cowboys, or there is something external causing the problem. "Could" also be a actual power problem in your house.

Years ago when I put a UPS power Supply in a customers place as the computer kept failing but OK in my workshop, it went nuts with power spikes the moment I plugged it in.Thought it may have been faulty, so put in the spare I had, did the same thing. In the end an electrician was called and he said the wiring in the house was really BAD and needed replacing.

My dad and I run laptops too in the house, if power was the case i think they would act up as well?
I could still call up an electrician and check the wiring. :/
But my mouse/keyboard shouldn't really hang due to power issues in the house, should it? :S

wainuitech
14-05-2018, 09:51 AM
My dad and I run laptops too in the house, if power was the case i think they would act up as well?
I could still call up an electrician and check the wiring. :/
But my mouse/keyboard shouldn't really hang due to power issues in the house, should it? :S It may very well not be a power related (Wiring) problem, just throwing out possible causes.

The only reason I mentioned power is if the Computer works OK in a repair shop, BUT plays up the moment you get it home ( or hasn't changed) there's either something at your house causing the problem OR a intermittent fault that when the PC is moved causes it to work / Not work again.

Laptops are different, they have their own batteries as well as the power cord. The adapter in the Laptops power cord is really a transformer that knocks the power down. Try putting 230 Volts into a Computer /Laptop and see what happens. :eek: