PDA

View Full Version : Active Image won't let me schedule backups

Neil McC
07-05-2018, 02:00 PM
Hope you see this wainuitech.
I've updated to the latest AI9 and have to reschedule the backups.Get to the screen where I set the days and time,next screen it wants a name and password.

Run As,Password, and confirm password.

I'm sure I didn't do that in AI7,just sailed on through,leaving them blank.Now it won't let me!Anything I try it says it's not correct.
I've no idea what password it wants!

In Image options I haven't entered any passwords.Tried that but still no go.
Any help please.

piroska
07-05-2018, 02:11 PM
I really wouldn't do that.

An image is a photocopy as such.

Backups, to me, mean backing up, docs, pics, install files you have downloaded and such.
A simple copy paste to an external HDD is fine or use something like Syncback.

And image, however is a snapshot of the O/S. Why overwrite them? Other than emergency restores in case of HDD death or a totally trashed O/S, it's the best cure for bloat that accumulates over time and slows the PC.
But if you reimage over and over, you've just updated the bloat and slowness as well.

07-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Use the built in Win Backup. That can be scheduled easily .
Win7,8,10 has an excellent backup program, that also has an image option.

Image is a backup, as it holds all your ~stuff~ . Not allways easy to recover individual files froam an image (It is possible though)

Use win backup, make sure you pick the option to choose folders to backup & also do the optional image.

07-05-2018, 02:34 PM
and remember to do a test recovery every now & then

wainuitech
07-05-2018, 05:04 PM
To actually answer the Question :D

I downloaded V9, thought about time I got a newer one, tried a schedule setup - Exact same thing.

The Answer.

This Window: You can leave Blank if you want, by putting in a tick not requiring password.

The window causing the Problem is the opposite -- You cant have a blank password, unless you alter some security settings but they are to clear exactly where and May have to be windows Pro.

If your computer logs right into the desktop on start up with no password, you have to give it one. Its a PITA.

To test:

Installed V9, set a schedule, got to the last window, wanted a password, This PC doesn't have to have one, it boots directly to the desktop. - Failed to complete.

Went into the user Accounts / Sign in Options, made up a password, rebooted, entered the new Password, this time Active@ accepted the Computers User Name and Password, moved onto the next stage after that.

Removed the password again, rebooted, straight into windows - same problem returned, wouldn't move on.

Tried different locations both a LAN share and Local USB drive.

Conclusion: If the Computer doesn't have a password it isn't going to go any where. Seems Active have changed the security.

fred_fish
07-05-2018, 05:34 PM
You should set up a separate user to run and store the backups.
Then when you get the ransomware in your regular user, your backups don't get crypted too (well, unless you're running as an admin of course..).

Neil McC
07-05-2018, 06:55 PM
Thanks wainuitech,glad some one understands!!
I'll just do a manual image then for now,unless I decide to set up a password entry.Doesn't take long now.Means I don't have to remember to turn the pc on before 7pm!
I save 3 images just in case!

wainuitech
07-05-2018, 07:25 PM
Thats what I do Neil.

As piroska Posted, I have data backups, some live / synced some not. I also have a Auto Backup of the whole PC's Nightly to a Server ( server software backs up), and manually About two-three times a Month I Use Active to make a full Image at the time. What I also have is an image of a complete fresh install including some programs so I don't get the problem (again) as piroska pointed out.

Neil McC
08-05-2018, 09:09 AM
Yeah,I use Second Copy for the important files to 2 other hard drives.

08-05-2018, 10:01 AM
You should set up a separate user to run and store the backups.
Then when you get the ransomware in your regular user, your backups don't get crypted too (well, unless you're running as an admin of course..).

??
that wont help.
Crypto can attack anything it can access , including backup drives, network drives and cloud storage . Its easy for malware to wipe a connected backup drive
The ONLY way to protect backups is to disconnect the USB drive after the backup is finished .

Backups to a connected server arnt safe either , a power spike , PSU meltdown or malware could wipe that out .

fred_fish
08-05-2018, 04:31 PM
??
that wont help.
Crypto can attack anything it can access , including backup drives, network drives and cloud storage . Its easy for malware to wipe a connected backup driveWhich is why it should be a separate user and your regular user shouldn’t have access.

The ONLY way to protect backups is to disconnect the USB drive after the backup is finished .

Backups to a connected server arnt safe either , a power spike , PSU meltdown or malware could wipe that out .Agreed. Both is good too ... ;)