PDA

View Full Version : Name on win10 logon screen

Tony
05-05-2018, 05:08 PM
I have 5 windows 10 installations, all linked to the same microsoft account. On 4 of them my name appears on the logon screen, on the 5th it shows my email address, which it appears to think is the account name. I can't see any way to change this. Any ideas?

I know there is an option under "sign-on options" in settings to display the email address on the logon screen, but its not that. That is disabled on the offending PC and if I enable it it shows the email address below the account name (which in this case is also the email address).

Any help will be gratefully received.

wainuitech
05-05-2018, 05:34 PM
The one that shows the email address, is the whole PC logged in or only certain Apps. On Mine (with the exception of the insiders, any others log into my own servers or no password required) it shows my name but only certain apps are signing in.

What I mean by that is an example, on all the Calendar, Weather, one drive and a couple of other apps that I want to sync I'm logged into the One Microsoft Account, But the actual PC is not.

Assuming you are using 1803 (the previous was similar- The same) Under Accounts / your info, are you logged into the local account or Microsoft Account ?

Tony
05-05-2018, 05:44 PM
I'm logged in to the MS account. That's what makes it weird. It shows the logon picture from the MS account, but the name is wrong. Yes, this one is on 1803 build 17661 (i.e. insider).

Its actually not a really big deal, as this is my oldest machine that I only use for messing around on and trying stuff out. I'd just like to know why it is behaving like that.

wainuitech
05-05-2018, 09:28 PM
Awhhhhh 17661 That could be why. Expect Odd things to happen in beta software :D That's the New RS5.

Got to remember a lot still don't have RS4 :D

Have you done any searching in the insider forums ? If not post a Question, certainly get a better answer than Here ;)

Tony
05-05-2018, 09:50 PM
That hadn't occurred to me. I'll do what you suggest.

Tony
05-05-2018, 09:57 PM
I feel totally dumb saying this, but I can't find where to ask the question. Should I be posting feedback or what?

wainuitech
06-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Not Dumb at all, some forums are a damn minefield trying top find the right place.

Try this site (you'll need to sign in to post if not already) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum?tab=Threads&auth=1 To ask a Question - Top Right

Tony
06-05-2018, 10:52 PM
Thanks. I'd actually found that page but hadn't noticed the "ask a question" at top right. D'oh!

Tony
07-05-2018, 09:40 PM
I posted to the insiders forum and got a couple of suggestions, both of which I had already tried. One of the respondents clearly hadn't read the whole of the post because he suggested something I'd specifically said I'd tried and didn't work. The other said to use group policy which I had already tried.

I decided life is too short and reset the PC, and now everything is working OK. Interesting though when I did the reset. This is an old setup with a Philips 17" CRT monitor that I usually run at 1152 x 864. After the reset and during the post install setup dialog it showed a hugely lo-res screen - I suspect 640 x 480, and most of the display wasn't visible with no scrollbars, which meant I couldn't see to make any of the choices offered and had to guess and take all the defaults. Once I got to the desktop I could change the display and it was all good, but the lead up definitely wasn't satisfactory. I've posted feedback about it.

wainuitech
07-05-2018, 10:47 PM
Saw the thread :D Was watching it off and on.

One of the respondents clearly hadn't read the whole of the post because he suggested something I'd specifically said I'd tried and didn't work. Yeah some are good at that sometimes. Bit like some of the Microsoft staff / Moderators copy paste replies , some have nothing to do with the problem the person is having.

Had to smile, you posted ( part of the reply)
I decided to stop messing about and reset the PC THEN get a rather detailed Suggestion. Might be fine if it happens again.

Starts Off Ok with the right comment

That's good example why you should use insider previews only on computers which you can reset or do clean install without losing anything important.
Then seems to go down a track of wasted time. If you reset already --Hmmmmmmmmm

Tony
07-05-2018, 10:54 PM
Of course nothing like that ever happens here on PressF1...:lol: