PDA

View Full Version : Help for geriatric ears!

mzee
04-05-2018, 01:06 PM
I am becoming increasingly deaf, right ear is almost total.
I have a problem with hearing aids, as they allow me to hear speech but are completely useless for anything else, also my ear canals are extremely small so the ear piece drops out.

I also have a small amplifier, but this just increases the total volume, which is just the same as turning up the source of the sound.

I can hear speech clearly from my computer ear phones. What I want is software, or advice on how to record sound and feed it through the computer to the ear phones. This would enable me to listen to quality sound from TV or Stereo, and people talking, while I do my work (earn my living on line).

Any help will be much appreciated.

Misty
04-05-2018, 01:32 PM
Some modern hearing aids have virtually all of the gadgetry sitting behind your ear. Mine are those. The only thing that goes in your ear is the connection which is thin plastic. They are great.
If you live in Auckland I could make a great suggestion about the University Training site.

One thing I would suggest is to get ones where you do not have to take out the batteries. The batteries I have are rechargeable. I leave the aids in and at the end of the day simply place them, batteries still in place, in the recharging unit. This cost me $300 for the recharging unit, so my depend on how financial you are. Saves fiddling about with the little buggers!

Misty
04-05-2018, 01:55 PM
Plus, if you get similar ones to mine then you can change the volume using your cellphone! :clap

piroska
04-05-2018, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=mzee;1276187 What I want is software, or advice on how to record sound and feed it through the computer to the ear phones. This would enable me to listen to quality sound from TV or Stereo, and people talking, while I do my work (earn my living on line).
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. You want to hear 2 different things as you work on the PC. Hard.

A professional hearing is about it. And will cost heaps.

Husband uses wireless Sennheiser headphones to watch TV now. So the rest of us either don't go deaf from the volume or get yelled at to shut up as he can't hear it.

But both?

mzee
04-05-2018, 04:40 PM
Hmmm. You want to hear 2 different things as you work on the PC. Hard.

A professional hearing is about it. And will cost heaps.

Husband uses wireless Sennheiser headphones to watch TV now. So the rest of us either don't go deaf from the volume or get yelled at to shut up as he can't hear it.

But both?

I don't need sound on the computer for my work, I just want to record the sound in the room and play it live to the ear phones in the background. All system sounds turned off. Problem is how to get the microphone to record at the same time as the output to the earphones is on.

Kame
04-05-2018, 06:28 PM
recording the sound in the room is still going to be the same, maybe noise cancellation from the mic, but I don't know how this helps?

Anyways, just unmute the mic and it picks up everything without any recording, etc and will play direct to your output.

Another way, if you feed, say the TV, into your input/mic jack, and do the same unmuting, you'll get just the TV coming through and nothing else. So using TV headphone jack to microphone input jack.

mzee
09-05-2018, 09:51 PM
Problem here is that the sound from the computer ear phones lags slightly behind the sound from the TV or Radio giving a slight echo effect. I have a USB sound card somewhere which I will try when I find it. The sound quality is good, just out of sync with everything else.

John H
10-05-2018, 03:50 PM
For TV sound I bought a small Bluetooth transmitter called Avantree Audicast that plugs into the audio out optical port on the TV. This does not mute the TV speakers the way a normal headphone does when plugged into the headphone jack. I use bluetooth headphones - I can have the volume at the level I need without affecting the volume of the TV speakers.

The Avantree Audicast technology limits the time-lag between the TV sound and the headphone sound. I have also used the TV sound menu to reduce the default setting for sound delay. Apparently the Avantree Bluetooth headphones that are designed to work with the Audicast transmitter eliminate all lag but I didn't buy them because I already had good quality Bluetooth headphones.

I couldn't find a NZ supplier so I bought through Amazon.