PDA

View Full Version : WiFi/printer problem after Win 10 1803 update

Jayess64
02-05-2018, 11:22 PM
Yesterday I updated 5 PCs (2 desktops & 3 laptops) to Win 10 1803, downloaded to a USB drive. The update went through smoothly on all computers and everything seemed hunky-dory, then I struck a problem. The home network uses a Netgear Model R7000 AC1900 router. A Brother HL-2270DW printer is connected to the router USB port and all PCs access it via software provided by Netgear,their ReadyShare Printer Utility, which is installed on each PC. The laptops connect to the printer via WiFi and the desktop via cable connection to the router. Everything worked satisfactorily until about 2 months ago, when my wife's laptop (Asus F555L) lost the ability to connect to the printer via WiFi, although a cable connection to the router will still work. Otherwise the laptop's WiFi seemed quite OK. This seemed to happen after one of the Win 10 monthly updates, but it was hard to pin down exactly when the trouble started

Now, after the 1803 update, none of the laptops will connect to the printer via WiFi although all will via a cable connection to the router. Otherwise there seems to be nothing wrong with the WiFi on any of them. I have tried re-installing the printer driver and the Netgear utility and even tried updating the WiFi driver on the F555L, all to no avail. Not surprisingly, the Windows Troubleshooter can find nothing wrong. Having to cable the laptop each time I want to print something is a PITA but I seem to have reached the limit of my abilities. The one thing I haven't tried is rolling Windows back to the previous version, but that doesn't seem a real solution and in any case Windows Update will soon start pestering me to re-install 1803. Any suggestions as to what to try next?

wainuitech
03-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Few things to try-.

1. Go into devices and Printers in the control Panel - Is the Printer greyed out ? If not then make sure its the default printer - sometimes updates revert printer settings back to defaults. If it is greyed out then its lost the connection someplace.

2. Go into network and sharing - advanced options, make sure network discovery is on - Printer sharing on - Password protected sharing - OFF.

3. You may have to set a Static IP on the printer or even repair the network connection, the router may be the problem.

Try the Brother Utilities http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist (http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl2270dw_all&os=10013)

4. wouldn't go bothering about the netgear setup, use the Brother Driver removal & Wireless setup. MANY older printers wont connect Via wireless unless you use a USB first. DONT simply update drivers, if theres a problems somewhere it will stay put, you have to completely remove them first then start again.
http://www.solveyourtech.com/how-to-set-up-wireless-printing-with-the-brother-hl2270dw/

The Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 came out in 2014, could be the problem as well. Just tested two laptops upgraded to 1803 via wireless and they print perfectly fine to my Brother Printers.

03-05-2018, 11:06 AM
Dont be surprised if trying to share a printer via a USB port connected to a router doesnt work.
Just a Jerry Rigged way of doing it. :)

That print has a network port. Use that . Problem solved
http://support.brother.com/g/b/spec.aspx?c=nz&lang=en&prod=hl2270dw_all

Jayess64
04-05-2018, 12:12 AM
Thanks to Wainuitech & 1101 for your comments and suggestions. You guys know what you are talking about, so I'll have another try, bearing your points in mind. I actually tried to implement the Brother wireless connection and got as far as the last step (install the driver) when it failed to detect the printer. I think I know why that might have happened so I'll have another go tomorrow. One thing I have learnt about WiFi connections is that everything has to be exactly right. I am still intrigued by how all the laptops failed when the 1803 update was installed - but only the WiFi, not the cable connection.

I certainly hope I can get away from the Netgear utility. It has been around for some years now and it does have a slightly shonky feel.

04-05-2018, 10:09 AM
One thing I have learnt about WiFi connections is that everything has to be exactly right. I am still intrigued by how all the laptops failed when the 1803 update was installed - but only the WiFi, not the cable connection.

I certainly hope I can get away from the Netgear utility. It has been around for some years now and it does have a slightly shonky feel.

why wifi.
If you want the easiest, most reliable setup : plug network cable from printer into router

wifi doesnt allways work reliably on printers :
If wifi , connect printer to wifi manually *from the printers keypad/screen,if it has that* & assign a static IP : not sure if thats do-able on your printer ?

Jayess64
04-05-2018, 03:44 PM
why wifi.
If you want the easiest, most reliable setup : plug network cable from printer into router

wifi doesnt allways work reliably on printers :
If wifi , connect printer to wifi manually *from the printers keypad/screen,if it has that* & assign a static IP : not sure if thats do-able on your printer ?

I actually totally agree with you. Unfortunately, the network connection in my Brother HL-2270DW died a couple of years ago and it didn't seem worth replacing the printer on that account. Right now, I could be persuaded otherwise...

wainuitech
04-05-2018, 04:21 PM
I actually totally agree with you. Unfortunately, the network connection in my Brother HL-2270DW died a couple of years ago and it didn't seem worth replacing the printer on that account. Right now, I could be persuaded otherwise... Are you 100% sure its broken and not just turned off.

Some other forums someone posted about the 2170W:

{Title} No Wired Ethernet Connectivity- Brother HL-2170W
but the answer turned out to be on Brother's website. I needed to turn off the wireless mode by holding down the "go" button for at least 10 seconds. Weird functionality- how is anybody supposed to know about this?

Valid for later model printers as well. Fixed me after 4 hours of other attempts, Brother HL-2270DW.

From brothers site:
The wireless interface is active and needs to be disabled. To disable the wireless interface, press and hold down the GO button for about 10 seconds. Keep holding the GO button down until a single page prints out. This page should indicate that the wireless interface is now inactive.

brother carries many functions to all models. :2cents:

Jayess64
04-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Are you 100% sure its broken and not just turned off.

Some other forums someone posted about the 2170W:

{Title} No Wired Ethernet Connectivity- Brother HL-2170W

From brothers site:

brother carries many functions to all models. :2cents:

Interesting. I am familiar with that procedure, it resets the printer to its default state but I didn't associate the network failure with it. Worth checking, thanks.

Jayess64
04-05-2018, 05:30 PM
If there is a Nobel prize for Computer Problem Solving, I would like to nominate Wainuitech as the next recipient.

Alternatively, if there is an award for Boofhead of the Year, I will put my hand up.

Jeez.....

wainuitech
04-05-2018, 08:27 PM
If there is a Nobel prize for Computer Problem Solving, I would like to nominate Wainuitech as the next recipient.

Alternatively, if there is an award for Boofhead of the Year, I will put my hand up.

Jeez..... Did it work again ??

Old story -- Try all possible reasons sooner or later you'll hopefully get the right one :) To many people throw away perfectly fixable equipment these days.

"IF" the network card had actually failed you can often pick up cheap ones on Aliexpress, and replace it.

Jayess64
04-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Did it work again ??

Old story -- Try all possible reasons sooner or later you'll hopefully get the right one :) To many people throw away perfectly fixable equipment these days.

"IF" the network card had actually failed you can often pick up cheap ones on Aliexpress, and replace it.

Yep, all I had to do was connect a cable between the printer and router and it was good to go. I didn't have to change any settings and each computer already had the printer driver installed, it was as if the system had been waiting for me to come back to the configuration I had originally set up three years ago.

You are right about trying all possible reasons, but you can only try the ones you know of. A diploma in computer maiintenance can be useful at times like this. In my case I was so fixated on the network connection having "died" that it never occurred to me that resetting the printer, which I did in the course of messing around with the WiFi, could possible fix it.

Ah well, live and learn. At least it shows the value of Pressf1 and your presence on it.

linw
05-05-2018, 10:43 PM
Yes to BIG prize for all the selfless work WT puts into this site, but no to your boofhead 'diploma'.

It's about helping each other and not being criticised for missing something that, in hind sight, seemed obvious.