PDA

View Full Version : Email Backup

bk T
02-05-2018, 01:05 PM
Is there a way to backup emails from free emails like, Gmail /hotmai /yahoomail, etc.

Just want to save a copy in case something should go wrong with their server.

Possible?

decibel
02-05-2018, 01:19 PM
If you use an email client such as Thunderbird, the mail is stored on your PC as well as the server.
If you have multiple PCs, then it is stored on each one.

(Works best if you use IMAP rather than POP.)

02-05-2018, 03:17 PM
If you use an email client such as Thunderbird, the mail is stored on your PC as well as the server.

yep, and the sync can mess that up. :)
unlikey to happen, but whole idea of backups is for worst possible scenario
what can happen , and does happen, is email gets moved to other folders & lost , or deleted accidently: user error . So backup is a good idea

Outlook : export to a PST. Copy PST to a USB hard drive
Tbird. Theres an addon available to backup TBird email (cant remember the addon name)

piroska
02-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Thunderbird - there's a program called Mozbackup. windows only. Not an add-on.
Why back them up? If you want the information, save it as a file.

gary67
02-05-2018, 07:45 PM
I just backup the Thunderbird file, used to do the same with the .pst when I used Outlook. It gets backed up with syncback just as all my data files do

fred_fish
02-05-2018, 07:46 PM
An IMAP account is not ideal to provide a local backup as if a mail gets removed from the server it's gone from your client too next time you connect and sync (although it IS the best way to manage email on multiple devices).
A POP account is stored locally, but different devices can get out of sync and have different email marooned on each if you don't manage it well.

In Thunderbird (if using IMAP) you can copy anything you want to keep to "Local Folders" which is stored locally (same as POP mail) in the standard mbox format (a plain text container format, one file per folder, that pretty much any mail client or associated tools can read / extract).

Including your tbird profile folder in your regular data backups provides further safety.

coldot
02-05-2018, 09:52 PM
In Thunderbird (if using IMAP) you can copy anything you want to keep to "Local Folders" which is stored locally (same as POP mail) in the standard mbox format (a plain text container format, one file per folder, that pretty much any mail client or associated tools can read / extract).

MailStoreHome is free and useful -it provides search by date, sender, recipient, subject &etc. I occasionally search my Thunderbird mail far back as 1998. Everyday Auto Backup (EAB) is free and useful for backing up files including Thunderbird. It kind of depends how much you can or can't remember!

Ofthesea
03-05-2018, 10:12 PM
Gmail /hotmai /yahoomail, etc. - if something went wrong with their servers (plural) I think you should be heading for a bunker rather than worrying about backups? Although personally I'm talking as an addicted Gmail/Google point of view.
You do know that all serious email providers have their own backups?