PDA

View Full Version : Now For Some REAL Trouble - Raspberry-Pi !!!

SurferJoe46
27-04-2018, 07:35 AM
I got my Raspberry-Pi up n running and I don't see where I can ask it what the distro is based upon.

I get asked to decide if it's Debian, Fodora, Red Hat or ------> I forget the last option.

I need to update Chrome and Google-stuff to newer versions and I need to intelligently answer my Pi.

If there was a place to ask it what it is --- and someone here knows --- I'd be very happy.

It's chocky fish time to whomever has the answer first.

There will be NO fish for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and onto Google!

I tried to run my Pi on my Alpha WiFi unit and I kept getting a black screen --- which I think is it's way of creating a BSOD - without the blue screen, the DOS cursive and some stupid letters-n-numbers that mean nothing to humans.

A black screen is all ya get I guess.

I put the PS that's supposed to be on it, and I got right through the Black-SOD.

I think I'll moniker that new Black-SOD as plain ol' BS. Works for me!

Anyway - this Rasp[berry Pi is neat-o! (There will be more questions you betchum!)

SurferJoe46
27-04-2018, 07:41 AM
I got my Raspberry-Pi up n running and I don't see where I can ask it what the distro is based upon.

I get asked to decide if it's Debian, Fodora, Red Hat or ------> I forget the last option.

I need to update Chrome and Google-stuff to newer versions and I need to intelligently answer my Pi.

If there was a place to ask it what it is --- and someone here knows --- I'd be very happy.

It's chocky fish time to whomever has the answer first.

There will be NO fish for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and onto Google!

I tried to run my Pi on my Alpha WiFi unit and I kept getting a black screen --- which I think is it's way of creating a BSOD - without the blue screen, the DOS cursive and some stupid letters-n-numbers that mean nothing to humans.

A black screen is all ya get I guess.

I put the PS that's supposed to be on it, and I got right through the Black-SOD.

I think I'll moniker that new Black-SOD as plain ol' BS. Works for me!

Anyway - this Rasp[berry Pi is neat-o! (There will be more questions you betchum!)

Ignore this. This is a test to see if my tablet ALSO works here now.

DO NOT IGNORE the original post and question! The question above (^) about the Raspberry-Pi still stands!

dugimodo
27-04-2018, 08:37 AM
If it's the default rasbian OS then it's debian based.
I don't have one though so that's all the help I can offer.

Kame
27-04-2018, 10:59 AM
It came pre-installed? Better off starting from scratch.

I would run Raspbian OS, based on Debian and it's optimized for rpi devices. Although, if you have many SD cards, you could try the alternatives out.

SurferJoe46
06-05-2018, 03:06 AM
It came pre-installed? Better off starting from scratch.

I would run Raspbian OS, based on Debian and it's optimized for rpi devices. Although, if you have many SD cards, you could try the alternatives out.

I went with Raspian and am enjoying it well enough to suggest that others try this Raspberry-Pi out for themselves.

It's very inexpensive, very intuitive really, requires most of the peripherals that one already owns - keyboard, mouse, Cat5 or WiFi dongle or adapter, power supply (cellphone or tablet charger to start with)... and an HDMI cable to your flat screen.

If one wants to discover Linux and isn't too far gone (read: old, senile or otherwise mentally challenged) and has a tablet or smartphone to use at the same time for questions and suggestions, I can't think of a better portal of L-based learning.

Then this: there's a few posting-persons here on F1 who obviously have Linus on their quick dialers. These people are preciously valuable and I wish to thank them collectively, for helping me...... which may go on for me a while yet...... in my mentally-waning years.

Thanks to all youse Upsidedown Land-ers!