PDA

View Full Version : Chrome can't get Google sites!!

linw
24-04-2018, 10:17 PM
At my wits end with this one. Earlier I posted about not being able to directly print email attachments from gmail with google page not found error. Now, it has got worse with Chrome not being able to access any google sites!

I uninstalled Chrome and re-installed it with no improvement shown. If I initiate a gmail session I get the spinning wheel and "waiting for accounts.google.com". It just won't access any google sites. How weird is that from a google product?

Googling (from Edge) I see others with this but all are a few years old.

I can ping and tracert the google sites and Edge will open gmail etc so it is not an inherent comp problem. Out of four win 10 comps on my LAN, this is the only one with this problem. Other web sites seem OK with no loading delays.

I don't think it is any use reverting to a previous image as the print problem has been here for quite a while.

Just can't see how a new install had no effect.

It is so weird I doubt whether you guys and gals have a ready solution but venting helps!! Maybe I will have to kick Chrome into touch and switch my wife over to Edge. If I swapped the icons she probably wouldn't even notice!

linw
24-04-2018, 11:03 PM
OK, found a helpful site with the info below:-
-------------------------------------------
For the last couple of month we’ve been noticing some problems with Google Chrome not loading pages correctly and giving the webpage error: ERR_QUIC_PROTOCOL_ERROR

or saying “The app is currently unreachable” or This web page is not available” when using Google docs and in some cases Google search.

As you may now Google Chrome is using quite a few experimental features that sometimes may be quite unstable.

One of these features is QUIC (Quick UDP Internet Connections) protocol and even though it was designed to speed up secure internet browsing, on practice it seems to be causing connection issues on some Chrome installations.

The fix is quite simple:

1. Open a new tab in Chrome

2. Enter chrome://flags/ into the address bar

3. Locate ‘Experimental QUIC protocol‘ and disable it.

----------------------------------------------
This worked for accessing gmail and other google sites. No idea why the quic protocol only seems to be a problem on one comp.

BUT the printing of attachments 'page not accessible' problem is still there.

Seems it is seeking a secure connection to the drive doc page and fails.

So, one problem down, one to go!

zqwerty
24-04-2018, 11:04 PM
If it's anything like Firefox then uninstalling the browser will not affect the user profile, try using your existing Chrome with a new profile.

Kame
24-04-2018, 11:07 PM
Try chrome in incognito mode, even though it's meant for privacy, it's also like safe mode, disabling extensions.

Could also be something that filters the web, like a firewall or antivirus, try disabling those and trying it out.

Maybe also try an alternative DNS, probably pointless but simple to try.

Driftwood
25-04-2018, 10:05 AM
If all else fails, use IE

linw
25-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys. I have added google DNS but no diff.
Also tried incog but no diff. This is a virgin installation with no added extensions.
Just added me as a new profile and the same issue still there.
Disabled Win Defender - no change. No other AV stuff. This is a pretty clean win 10 installation.
Think Driftwood omitted the smiley or the exclamation mark!

The fact that it works fine with Edge is a strong pointer to a Chrome, only, problem I am assuming.

It revolves around Chrome not being able to establish a secure connection to the drive doc as the msge is "Establishing a secure connection" then it faults with page error.

Seeing as the full windows update is imminent, I will wait till that happens. But it still annoys the hell out of me as I don't like being beaten!!!

Cheers.

wainuitech
25-04-2018, 12:31 PM
Apart from Chrome, what Other programs are installed past the defaults in W10 ?

As weird as this sounds, had a long time back, chrome played up, it was tracked down to the fact it was actually Firefox causing the problem. Totally removed FF and chrome worked again. :confused: even clearing the DNS from a command prompt ipcongfig /flushdns Did naff all :)

Chrome works fine here on all versions of Windows, from the current 1709 build to the latest next ( RS5) The next public release is RS4. It was meant to be out already but they found a bug that was big enough to stop its release a short while back.

linw
25-04-2018, 10:42 PM
Hi, WT. This is a pretty sparse setup with only a small number of simple utilities added that are on all the comps I deal to. I ended all non essential tasks that were running and it made no difference.

Yea, Chrome works fine on every comp except this one!!

It comes down to the inability to get a secure connection to the doc page on google drive. Just noticed that there is no local Google Drive folder on the comp in question. Pretty sure this is irrelevant, though. The attached doc files we are trying to print can be seen in the Google Drive cloud store. Maybe it just doesn't have permissions to access this store??

I'll crack it one day (I hope).

wainuitech
25-04-2018, 11:08 PM
If you feel inclined, What I would do in your case, just to see what happens -- Reinstall W10 from fresh, run all updates. Then ONLY install Chrome. See what happens.

Even though the other Computers are fine it "may" be some different driver ( just throwing out possible reasons). The only time it generally wont is if ALL the computers have the exact same hardware.

If it works as it should, then add in other programs one at a time trying chrome again after each installation, until it causes the problem again.

Had to do that with one persons computer that was always getting me back to sort it. He was getting rather pissed off saying I wasn't fixing it, even though every thing always worked fine here. Finally found out it was some reg-cleaner program he was installing after I took it back that caused problems.

linw
26-04-2018, 10:31 AM
Yea, may come to that. Can't mention that to wife as she will expect the worst! She is very technophobic!

linw
03-05-2018, 10:51 AM
An update - not expecting a solution as heaps of googling and comparing with other OK comps has been fruitless. But wouldn't say no to suggestions!

I updated win 10 to 1803 and nothing had changed.

I then clean installed from a USB drive and, guess what, nothing changed!! Same using Chrome Canary.

The problem is security access to google sites. If quic is enabled I get quic errors and no page displayed. If I disable quic, I get long "Establishing secure connection" msge then a page fail. So, both methods of establishing a security handshake are failing.

Having spent the best part of two days trying to figure out why 1 of 4 comps should be different with the same OS and chrome browser I am now stumped. Cross checking TLS tick boxes reveals no apparent difference.

Can't get my head around this weird situation. I can't stand being beaten so I will keep trying but this is a real doozy.

zqwerty
03-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Why not try a portable version of Chrome? That will eliminate any install problems or not and may work anyway:

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable

linw
03-05-2018, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. No change using the portable app.

Something changed a short while ago as this problem is recent. Just can't fathom what on earth could carry through a new OS install and new chrome install with new chrome profile.

zqwerty
04-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Try an older version of Chrome portable it may be that the new versions of Chrome have some change causing the problem, you could also try SRWareIron Portable, see if that works, very close to Chrome but without the spyware.

I use this all the time as my main browser for eMails, have been doing so for years, works well:

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php

Both the portable and install version are on the page.

linw
04-05-2018, 04:39 PM
Thanks, zq, but I have stumbled on the solution. And I mean stumbled! Somewhere I saw someone having a similar problem with the network adaptor so that got me trying to update the Dell Optiplex 780 Intel 82567LM-3 Gig network adaptor. MS "updated" it to a dvr 4 years older!

Then something (not sure what it was as I don't believe in divine guidance!) had me looking at the adaptor properties again where I unticked support for IPv6. Bingo, that did it!!!! All fine, now.

Don't ask me why Edge worked and not Chrome, but it was something to do with security checking of google sites. Oh, and yes, I was able to re-enable Quic as well.

Just, maybe, some poor sod with this problem will find this post. Just wasted the best part of three days, myself.

Cheers and thanks for the replies, guys.

zqwerty
04-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Your repair strategy explanation is ambiguous to me, was it ticked (Ipv6 on) and you unticked it (IPv6 off) to fix or was it unticked (IPv6 off) and you ticked it to activate IPv6, I thought it was now recommended that IPv6 be on by default these days.

linw
04-05-2018, 10:49 PM
Ah, I thought unticked it off was clear. Yes, it was ticked on but now it is off. On is the default in my experience.

No idea why this one comp got its knickers in a twist over it being on.

linw
05-05-2018, 10:52 PM
Maybe/probably no one is interested but there is an ipv6 DNS and that wasn't working on the offending PC.
If you go to ipv6.google.com you will find whether there is a problem with your adaptor and google sites where ipv6 is involved.

At least a google enquiry will find this and possibly save someone hours of time!

I have certainly learnt a few things.

Cheers.

zqwerty
06-05-2018, 12:25 AM
Here's the link:

https://ipv6test.google.com/

Here's the test:

https://test-ipv6.com/

I get 0 out of 10 lol.

linw
06-05-2018, 09:32 AM
I get page can't be reached yet this comp runs ipv6 and hasn't shown the problem my wife's comp had!

zqwerty
06-05-2018, 11:33 AM
I'm using Firefox 60.0.0rc2 not Chrome.

Just tried Chrome and it gets both those links as it should, conducts test and gives result of 0/10.

linw
11-05-2018, 03:00 PM
KB17134.48 applied yesterday has fixed the IPv6 problem!